Quantcast

2014 Demo vs 2015 Demo

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
I own a 2014 demo carbon and have a oportunity to get the new one for a good price. By selling the last years i could buy the one Alu one without loosing any money, is it worth it? are the big wheels better?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I would only upgrade from a 26" DH bike to a 27.5" DH bike under two conditions.

1. Some sort of bro deal. I wouldn't sell a brand new bike to buy one with slightly bigger wheels just because.
2. Your 26" bike is ready for replacement.

Last edited:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
No, but wait:
The 27,5" Alu-demo runs the same geometry as the asymm-Demo. Which means longer chainstays (430mm), longer front end (depends on size) and a half degree slacker headangle (63,5°) too.
So lets do the math:
27,5" wheels + longer wheelbase + slacker = faster
faster - no money loss = BUY IT :thumb:

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
offcourse there is a bro deal involved :D
i can seel the old one and buy the new one without loosing money. The only tradeoff is the new one isnt carbon.

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
offcourse there is a bro deal involved :D
i can seel the old one and buy the new one without loosing money. The only tradeoff is the new one isnt carbon.
Assuming it's a straight trade across (with no add'l $ required), I say 'do it' just because you're getting a brand new bike that's 1 model year newer and the "up to date" wheelsize offsets the depreciation (in a market where bikes are racing to the bottom) when you inevitably go to resale.

Irrespective of that, the carbon demo is probably the better bike (assuming it fits you properly).

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I love the feel of my 26" V10.5 but now that I'm the only pro racing on 26" I'm getting the impression that I'm losing time in certain sections. For play riding at a resort 26 is great. For used bike value 26 is great. For racing where every 10th counts I'm afraid to say 27.5 seems to be where it's at.
If you're a racer make that deal. For play riding I'd probably prefer your current shorter chainstays and smaller wheels. Since only the front is carbon and there's only a 1/2lb weight difference that doesn't figure into the decision for me.

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Assuming it's a straight trade across (with no add'l $ required), I say 'do it' just because you're getting a brand new bike that's 1 model year newer and the "up to date" wheelsize offsets the depreciation
As RayB touches upon, it'll be easier to sell your 26 bike now for a satisfactory price. The longer you wait, more people will want a 27.5 as their next bike and those looking for a 26 will no doubt be looking for bargains (and will probably have many options).

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
Bought a 2015 S-Works Demo 8 frame and I can tell you the frame is heavy as hell,my medium frame is actually heavier than a Alu Demo 8 coming in at almost 5000g incl Ohlins shock .I ditched the Ohlins for a Air shock now the weight is more acceptable for me.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
This.
But why does Trekrules ride a Demo anyway? :rolleyes:
Well I had only rode nothing but a Trek but I switched to another brand when I looked for a new frame,I also ride other bikes that isn't a Trek:D.Guess I need to change my account name.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Bought a 2015 S-Works Demo 8 frame and I can tell you the frame is heavy as hell,my medium frame is actually heavier than a Alu Demo 8 coming in at almost 5000g incl Ohlins shock .I ditched the Ohlins for a Air shock now the weight is more acceptable for me.
5000g with shock isn't super heavy. Most durable alu frames that don't dent because the wind is too strong weigh in the 4.5-5.2kg area.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As RayB touches upon, it'll be easier to sell your 26 bike now for a satisfactory price. The longer you wait, more people will want a 27.5 as their next bike and those looking for a 26 will no doubt be looking for bargains (and will probably have many options).
that's what the frame i just bought came with dropouts for both 26 and 27.5