Quantcast

2012 team rumour and speculation

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Stacked a few times loosing a few races (and a season) because of it?
You mean won the World Cup overall?

Other than the 2 seasons he was out hurt, 2012 was the only time in his entire senior career that Hill finished the WC overall in less than 2nd place.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So you can say, that he isn't only one of the fastest guys ever on a DH bike, but also one of the most consistent.
I am excited to see him on a new bike and definitely want to see him on the top step again.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Does pedaling efficiency and small bump absorption really matter in WC DH applications? My impression has been that most WC level racers run very high spring rates and/or compression tunes. Wouldnt doing so really mute any "ride characteristics" that everyone feels differentiate bikes these days?
While bike performance isn't nearly as important as rider skill and ability (as GL alluded to above), I do think it matters. In fact when you're talking about the best riders who are often only separated by split seconds, I don't think it makes sense to ignore the finer details.

To give you some workable examples on the points you brought up:
- A better pedaling bike (i.e. good AS curve) will require lower spring + damper rates to accelerate at a given level, thus possibly allow for higher traction and less rider fatigue
- Better bump absorption via frame kinematics (i.e. high leverage ratio early in travel and/or more rearward axle path) will mean less reliance on soft spring/damper rates for a given level of traction / comfort
- Better mechanical bottom out resistance (i.e. low leverage ratio near end of travel) will reduce dependence on shock - i.e. no need for position sensitive damping, no need to run overly firm spring rates to prevent bottoming
- More stability in dynamic geometry will mean higher predictability and require less rider compensation for unexpected changes (eg. 1. similar travel numbers front and rear so the bike maintains geometry when weighted / unweighted, 2. not relying on an excessively rearward axle path alone for bump absorption - to prevent large changes in CS length and thus rear wheel weighting as bike moves through travel)

Even though WC level setups are usually quite firm like you say, everything that differentiates one bike from another still matters - in fact I'd argue it matters even more, because the harder you push a bike (i.e. the faster you ride), the more critical the fine lines between things like chassis stability and bump absorption become. If you can build a bike that has better bump and pedaling performance than the competition for an equal level of stability (on all fronts - eg. chassis stability, stability of dynamic geometry), you've given your rider an advantage.

Every design is a compromise in some way, but a clever design will maximise performance while minimising pitfalls.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
So you can say, that he isn't only one of the fastest guys ever on a DH bike, but also one of the most consistent.
I am excited to see him on a new bike and definitely want to see him on the top step again.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Will they need to add more stays to the Nukeproof to cope with the extra speed/yaw/shims SH brings to the team?

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
I wonder when we'll hear a bit more detail about the deal? Whether he'll be on a new proto Nukeproof (carbon?), whether Jacey stays with Sam or Troy - the same goes for Sean Heimdal (probably spelt that wrong) those two have been with Sam for years, surely Sean will stay with Troy? (not a bad thing at all, nige seems like a great manager!), whether we'll see any videos of him testing the Nukeproof in Australia etc, wonder how he managed to do that testing without anyone seeing him!

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I wonder when we'll hear a bit more detail about the deal? Whether he'll be on a new proto Nukeproof (carbon?), whether Jacey stays with Sam or Troy - the same goes for Sean Heimdal (probably spelt that wrong) those two have been with Sam for years, surely Sean will stay with Troy? (not a bad thing at all, nige seems like a great manager!), whether we'll see any videos of him testing the Nukeproof in Australia etc, wonder how he managed to do that testing without anyone seeing him!
I'm guessing after the first of the year. Sam's contract runs out this year...no idea when exactly, but announcing it in 2013 when the 2012 contract is up seems to be typical.

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
whether we'll see any videos of him testing the Nukeproof in Australia etc, wonder how he managed to do that testing without anyone seeing him!
He's been riding them someone on the australia forum rotorburn.com mentioned they knew and someone said how do you know and he replied saying one of the perks of living and riding in western australia.

Not all people would get the camera out and snap a pic and you'd have to catch him first

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
...and I think alot of people are forgetting what Sam did on year one demo.
Stacked a few times loosing a few races (and a season) because of it?
That might be true if in 2009, his first year on Spesh/ME he didnt win the overall. Nice try though.
what are you missing here it's not too terribly difficult to follow the thread?

2009 was his first year on the demo, same year he won the overall.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Pretty cool to look back to this... Most of it makes sense now... Still some I dont understand.

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
Sam, Bulldog, Needles, Cedric, Rat Boy, Beer, Troy, Smith, World Champ (probably a junior), and Brannigan all supposedly up for new contracts.
Sam (CRC)
Bulldog (In Limbo still apparently)
Needles (Giant)
Cedric (Isnt it his own team ?)
Rat Boy (Be good to see him move on, still over shadowed by minnaar and peat)
Beer (No idea)
Troy (Spesh)
Smith (Cant see him going anywhere)
World Champ (probably a junior) (Holly Fenick?)
Brannigan (Signed for 23degrees managment so maybe take the free spot at Trek?)

Last edited:

peecee

Monkey
Apr 27, 2012
Australia
photo.jpg
As you'll see Sam has updated his Instagram profile pic riding on his CRC bike and gear. Here it is for non instagram users

Last edited: