Quantcast

2012 team rumour and speculation

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I guess that gives spesh the budget to sign bulldog.
I like team changes like this. I have no doubt that the nukeproof is a capeable bike but its hardly a carbon demo with all the custom tweaks he gets. It will be interesting to see how he gets on and if he can keep up with Brosnan

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Not surprised by this.
Sam's a smart father.
He's figured out that the British Pound buys more diapers & formula in AUD than the declining USD.

Does this mean his mechanic leaves with him to goto CRC? How does that stuff work?

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
sort of shocked by this...was expecting hill to finish his career on spesh or at least madcatz for that matter...hopefully this is a good move for Hill and hopefully this means he'll be at one of the irish rounds and usually the crc team shows up to one of them.....i can see the pulse transforming alot come wc rd 1

Last edited:

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
info on this? looks like monster are still writing the cheques aswell.....crc/pinkbike wouldnt show him with a monster hat in a press release if he was off them

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
wasnt visible on the pinkbike release ..interesting enough stuff fairly safe to say sam will draw far more attn then al bond and buchanan and fingers crossed matti gets a good team

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
The rider looks like a cello or violin or something are any of those riders musicians? None of their names seem to be very musical.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Hopefully its Holly getting a full ride. She's going to slay it if she does.
We've been watching Holly's race times challenge the pro women's class on the local scene for a couple of years. It would be interesting to see what she can do with a full ride. I wouldn't be surprised to see her join Stevie Smith on the Devinci Global team

Last edited:

ritche

Monkey
Dec 3, 2011
Hey monkies, is there such a thing: rider's style and technique not compatible with his sponsored bike?

remember Sam B. when he went to lappiere from yeti, he is nowhere on the podium,

Sam Hill will ride a single pivot for the first time, let's see what will happen next year, (maybe he will request a proto linkage bike).

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Given the quality of modern dh bikes, i think the type of bike Sam Hill and Jacy are given matters about as much as the colo(u)r of his brake levers. Sam Hill and Jacy will tune and tweak it and make it rip!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Hey monkies, is there such a thing: rider's style and technique not compatible with his sponsored bike?

remember Sam B. when he went to lappiere from yeti, he is nowhere on the podium,

Sam Hill will ride a single pivot for the first time, let's see what will happen next year, (maybe he will request a proto linkage bike).
I've lost track of how many times I've read this, or something about the new Pendbox design being worse that the older 920 frame.

Sam's best World Cup season to date was his first with Lapierre, on which he even raced on 2 different frames. He switched to the new bike mid-season in 2010 at Leogang. Qualified in 1st, finished 4th in its debut. Another 1st/4th at Champery, a 3rd at Windham. He finished 3rd overall in the World Cup behind Gee and Minnaar. 2011 was a downer but he got 3rd at World Champs in Champery. 2012 was unremarkable.

Blame confidence, blame breaking arms and legs, or blame Gwin for pushing the pace up a notch. It certainly isn't the bike.

Give these guys proper geometry and they'll get the job done. Factor in access to proper suspension tuning and the miniscule difference between the top dozen or so frames is pretty insignificant.

Coincidentally, every time Hill has switched sponsors this has come up. First it was from an M1 to an Iron horse SGS (prior to DW giving it a total re-work), the from a Sunday to a Demo that had been almost unanimously written off as a boat anchor hucker bike. In going to Nukeproof it's the first time he's actually moving to a program that is starting out with a proper bike.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Does pedaling efficiency and small bump absorption really matter in WC DH applications? My impression has been that most WC level racers run very high spring rates and/or compression tunes. Wouldnt doing so really mute any "ride characteristics" that everyone feels differentiate bikes these days?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Coincidentally, every time Hill has switched sponsors this has come up. First it was from an M1 to an Iron horse SGS (prior to DW giving it a total re-work), the from a Sunday to a Demo that had been almost unanimously written off as a boat anchor hucker bike. In going to Nukeproof it's the first time he's actually moving to a program that is starting out with a proper bike.
...and I think alot of people are forgetting what Sam did on year one demo.