Quantcast

2012 Eastern States Cup Schedule

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the guys placing in the top 2 or three in the lower classes would still be in the front end of the pack in the next class up.
i think that's the rub for me. Those riders that are always winning cat 2 are always highly competitive with cat 1....that's not really the way it should work, I think. I guess it is the way it is, but I'd love to see people drop down and move up so that fields are more representative. You shouldn't finish second in cat1 in three races but decide you're cat 2 instead.

Oh well, I'll probably make it to a couple and spend most of my days actually riding my bike instead of bitching on the internet about being slow.

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
Schedule looks great, a lot of races and a lot of opportunity for people all over the northeast to race, whether chasing series points or not.

Sandbagging will never stop. I might be wrong but I thought moving up was based on your time in your Category and not your finish in your age group. A Cat 2 30-39 guy could win every week but still not be in the top 5 for all Cat 2 racers, I believe that is what they look at. This may not be the case for your class Sandwich, a lot of baggers in 19-29, but it does effect the older classes. There are some Junior Cat 2 and 3's that put down some fast times and I think again it is based on the entire category and not the age breakdown for moving up.

Also saying 3 top 3's or 5 top 5's is tough too. Look at some of the races and some classes barely had more than 5-8 riders, not too hard to be in the top 5 at some races, just show up and not crash and hope a few other guys do.

Back on topic, series looks great. Way to go getting multiple venues in multiple states involved.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also saying 3 top 3's or 5 top 5's is tough too. Look at some of the races and some classes barely had more than 5-8 riders, not too hard to be in the top 5 at some races, just show up and not crash and hope a few other guys do.
those are the rules per USAC. Though I do recall there being a stipulation that for the result to count there had to be a certain # of riders in your category.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Is it possible to please everyone...? NO

Will People complain No Matter what...? Yes

Does ESC and GES do the best they can to put together good venues in their respective series ...? Yes I believe they do.

I for one am happy to have the option to race....almost every weekend if I so choose.

We are lucky to have so much racing here in the east.

Thank you GES and ESC and PROGRT
Quoted for Truth. We have been incredibly spoiled in the past 6 years. 15 or even 10 years ago. It was Platty NY sereis 6+ races and Mt Snow Nats. That's it. Be grateful for what you got now. The way the ESC is set up if you want to be economical and just race for 1 state champs that is an option. If you want to blow thousand dollars on gas and win the whole damn show you can do that. If you live in PA NJ MD NY or CT then GES may have closer events.With gas being what is could be proximity to events is huge.
How many types of Crunchy PB do you need?

Not to mention the jump from Meow 1 to Pro is something that USAC looks really hard at. Unless you dedicated to traveling nationally internationally and have upward trend results and are of a certain age and motivation. Racing Pro just because you did well in Cat 1 last year isn't the best idea unless your a very committed athlete. Moving up because you did well in Cat 1 and had times that consistently matched the Pro field is a good reason to move up if you want it.

Last edited:

bigbirdie

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
CT
first off, thanks to the guys at the ESC! I am really looking forward to this racing season!

second, in regards to the sandbagging.....I see it all the time and after a while it gets annoying. My take on it: if you place top 5 in 5 races in your category and as a true athlete, you move up to the next class. what this does is eliminate the sandbaggers or the really fast riders who are riding in a class below their abilities. I did this. I started in beginner, got 5 top 5, moved to sport, 5 top 5's and then to expert. I have been there for the last 7 years. but with the combining of age groups, I was racing against guys 9 years younger than me. I don't care who you are, in most cases you will be beat by them. I am not complaining since I know I am not the fastest nor do I expect to win all the time but all riders need to honestly look at their times and placing in their current cats and move to where you "should be". I feel sorry for the guys who think that by blowing out the rest of their age group and making it to the podium week in and week out they are doing themselves a service (other than their egos). Man up and push yourself to do better against racers that are similar in abilities and racing times. as for the semi pro cat......bring it back. this is a good place for the experts to go who are not quite ready for Pro racing but are too fast to honestly race in their respective expert cat class......just my $.02. rant over. May can't come fast enough! can't wait to hit the trails again.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
The POC Eastern States Cup Championship Downhill Mountain Bike Race Series has added new features along with bringing back The POC $1000 Team Challenge and the POC Video of the week. The POC ESC in its third year has become the premier regional DH race series in the nation. The series offers a $1600 pro purse at it’s races and a $5000 pro purse at the two Pro GRT National series races at Mountain Creek and Plattekill Bike Parks.

The series has increased Pro and Cat 1 Junior series finals payouts and added a cash payout for Cat 1 19-29 in 2012. Totaled up the series will have over $35,000 cash available to racers.

POC Video of the Week is filmed and produced by Voncooper productions. The videos have been extremely popular with the racing community. They offer a glimpse into what makes the series popular and what makes the racers tick. Voncooper has also produced a DVD based on the 2011 ESC season titled, “East Coast Rocks”. The DVD will be available for purchase at POC ESC events for $8.00. Quantities are limited.

Oliver Racing’s 4th Place Challenge will reward all 4th place finishers with a prize pack from their sponsors. The prize pack will include Bureau’s Sugarhouse and Maple Kettle Korn, a regional favorite. If racers don’t finish fourth, Oliver Racing will be selling the gourmet popcorn at the events.

Loeka $1000 Women’s Challenge will pay cash to the top four women in points, regardless of class. In this unique challenge the beginners have as much as a chance of winning cash as the pro women. First place prize will be $400, 2nd is $300, 3rd will collect $200 and the 4th place woman will go home with $100 cash.

POC $1000 Team Challenge at every POC ESC race the top three results from each registered team will count towards the POC Team Challenge. The team with the most points after the finals in October wins. The challenge will reward the fastest and most consistent mountain bike race teams racing the Eastern States Cup series.

Matt DeLorme will be taking pictures and writing post race features for the series in 2012. Matt’s pictures and feature articles have been in many national and international magazines and websites. Delorme always brings a fresh perspective on events he covers.

www.voncooper.com
www.oliverracing.com
www.maplekettlekorn.com
www.loeka.com
www.mdelorme.com
www.easternstatescup.com

2012 POC Eastern States Race Schedule
May 20 Mountain Creek, NJ.
May 27 Plattekill, NY
June 3 Attitash, NH
June 10 Pat’s Peak, NH
June 24 Mount Snow, VT
July 15 Windham, NY
July 29, Killington, VT
August 5 Mount Snow, VT
August 12, Plattekill, NY
August 19 Killington, VT
Sept 2 Plattekill, NY
Sept 16 Attitash, NH
Sept 23 Jiminy Peak MA
Oct 7 Plattekill, NY

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Cool to see more videography, but I vote more riding and less glamour shots of ben moody covered head to toe in POC gear talking about how cool POC gear is. I understand you gotta sell stuff, but some videos were 30 seconds of riding and 2 minutes of extras...

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Cool to see more videography, but I vote more riding and less glamour shots of ben moody covered head to toe in POC gear talking about how cool POC gear is. I understand you gotta sell stuff, but some videos were 30 seconds of riding and 2 minutes of extras...
Damn and I wanted to see more glamour shots of Ben Moody.