Quantcast

2012 Devinci Wilson

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Do you have any affiliation with Devinci? Possibly Performance?
I do work for Performance. But aside from that I have spent the last 10 months on a Dixon and this spring/summer on a Wilson. I have owned so many bikes in the same category as the Dixon (Intense 6.6, SS1, Iron Horse 6 Point, Santa Cruz Nomad c, Commencal Meta 6, Meta 5, Meta 5 Carbon) and can honestly say the Dixon is the most balanced of the bunch. Sure it would suit me better with a 12mm longer top tube and a 6mm lower BB, but it is still my favorite. As for the Wilson, it compares favorably with the Evil Revolt (qc issues aside my favorite DH frame) and better than the Sunday (my 2nd favorite/benchmark for a solid bike and still viable today). The addition of a splined/replaceable chainguide mount on the Dixon and carbon seatstay on the Wilson only improves on my opinion of both bikes.

C4dev

Chimp
Jan 7, 2009
The seatstay is a big piece (5 welded pieces actually) of metal. It's probably a good part of the overall weight of the frame and (I think) it's also unsprung weight. It's not a particularly prone part of the frame and seems like a good place to lose a chunk of weight and probably increase stiffness.
True, but unless I'm wrong the seatstay it the main load-bearing component of the Wilson. Its the swing arm and as a result is responsible for most of the rear end stiffness, so somewhat prone to large loading...

Don't get me wrong I love this bike, and Devinci have certainly done their homework: but its really just an evolution of the old Sunn Radical design with the brake mounted on the shock linkage to provide some isolation. Pure Genius: split pivot (and ABP) are so simple that its mad no one came up with the concept 10 years ago!

Last edited:

Knoxx

Chimp
Oct 11, 2011
Hi guys.
I don't own a Wilson but I'm thinking about one of these frames and so I tried to find out as much as possible about it.
Heard it makes noices when breaking, but also found from others that it can be fix.
Lots of people said it rides great ,and a few talked about having issues with the main pivot geting loose, the bearings wearing fast .Same thing with the rear end bearings. So it means you spend a lot of time in bike shop for parts and fixing.Also I heard you need a special tool from Devinci for the main pivot bearings?
Would like to know if this is real ,if is an frequent issue. How fast cand it be fixed ,how much would cost.

P.S. I didn't want to make a new thread so I asked here.

Thanks.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Can anyone chime in on Knoxx's questions?

I placed my order last week for a Wilson and Dixon and am absolutely CHOMPING at the bit to build these up. Coming off the Session's baby shock, I'm ecstatic to ride a long-strong-down to get the friction on-10.5x3.5 shock.

I looked around the interwebz (RM, Sicklines, NSMB, Dirtmag) for insight regarding suspension setup and / or longer-term reviews but it seems that Sicklines was the only site to give a review and most of them time those are pretty "ya, it feels great" (not bashing SL, the media they provide is awesome)

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Braking noise has already been covered, some have it some don't. Facing the brake tabs, greasing the flip chip, and torquing to spec fixed it for me.

Devinci released a free spacer and bearing kit for Wilson owners. The spacer is for the bottom bracket pivot and remedies bearing wear. That being said, I've been on my Wilson for almost a full year now and have yet to service any of the pivots.

When are the 2012 Wilsons due in?

Bronco!

Chimp
Nov 14, 2009
The rear end carbon is only 60-70 g ligther, can't remember exact number. The main reason is to increase stiffness. For 2012, there is a XL version.

A lot of Wilsons have been shipped last 3 weeks, so get ready to enjoy!

dreads

Chimp
Oct 10, 2010
more input on knoxx's question
brake noises were hit and miss between bigger and smaller rotors and metal to organic brake pads. seemed to be noisy when it was dry and not when it was wet. ended up swapping all the pivot hardware and the sound went away for good.
my experience with the main pivot was tedious at all times. without the bb spacer it was either too tight which made the bearings feel rough but would last longer between tighten jobs. tighten it just right and it felt great for a few runs then sloppy joe after that.
popped in the bb spacer insert thing and for me it just lengthened the time between having to tighten it (by a lot mind you) went from coming loose every week to lasting for almost the rest of the summer but now its loose again.
for suspension tips in my opinion i had it pretty dialled by the end of the season on an rc3 which for some reason had a stupid rebound tune i was running rebound 1 click from all the way closed. few clicks of low speed for jumpy stuff or open for dh courses. for spring rate go lighter than you think if you want it to feel like it sit in its travel which i liked a lot more i think i ended up on a 300 pound spring and i weigh around 200 210 pounds. i found that with the suspension curve or whatever you call it i had to run a lighter spring to get it to sit a little past the stiff pedal platform point so it would work better over chatters and use more of its travel more often. not the best at explaining it but if you have any other questions i might be able to help

Marius

Chimp
Jul 4, 2011
Germany
Hey, I´m really interested in buying a 2012 Wilson. The problem which I have is the sizing because I don`t know anybody around here and haven`t seen anybody riding a new Wilson in Germany. I`m about 1,80m (5.11f) tall and running a medium Sunday with 50mm direct mount at the moment. Haven`t found any reach measurements of the bike so far, so what are your suggestions for sizing? med or large???