Chimp
May 29, 2011
Any insight out there on the 2012?

-Pretty sure there will be a XL version
-Some rumblings about a carbon rear? :rockout:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I've been tempted to buy a 2011, but I think the large would be too small for me. So definitely interested to see if there are any revisions.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
i dont see welds on the seatstay but why just make them out of carbon? just to say the frame is part carbon?
lame
I didn't design the frame (obviously), but I can make an intelligent guess. The seatstay is a big piece (5 welded pieces actually) of metal. It's probably a good part of the overall weight of the frame and (I think) it's also unsprung weight. It's not a particularly prone part of the frame and seems like a good place to lose a chunk of weight and probably increase stiffness.

It's also optional on frames and only stock on the highest level complete.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
is the wilson available as frame-only? i don't see that option listed on their site....
It was for 2011, dropnzone.com seemed to be the only online US retailer for them. I think competitive were selling them early on, performance just have completes.

Hoping 2012 brings an XL size frame and I'd love it in the 2010 RC frame colour, black with dark decals. That photo above looks greenish/grey, not what I want.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
anyone know the reach (and stack) on the 2011 size L? Even taking into account the extra short CS, the relatively short WB has me thinking the current Large would be too short for me (6' 3") in terms of Reach.

(reach = 16 - 16.5 is about right for me)

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
That's why I didn't go for one, I'm 6'2" and want > 16" reach and I believe they're shorter than that.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
anyone know the reach (and stack) on the 2011 size L? Even taking into account the extra short CS, the relatively short WB has me thinking the current Large would be too short for me (6' 3") in terms of Reach.

(reach = 16 - 16.5 is about right for me)
I don't have reach and stack measurements, but the WB on a large is 47.3". The geo on the Devinci site is incorrect and has been discussed on pretty much every thread about this bike. The catalog PDF on the site has correct geo. The 2012 XL has a 48" WB.

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
I heard that the carbon seatstay wasn't really lighter than the aluminium. Maybe stiffer?

Definetly better looking! (And that is really important).

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I heard that the carbon seatstay wasn't really lighter than the aluminium. Maybe stiffer?

Definetly better looking! (And that is really important).
to make it last they need to make it weight more vs the weight of the al,hense little to no worth or gain.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
Hearing some buzz about Code's causing some issues while braking...
not just the wilson though..

yesterday we received some weird undrilled Avid rotors from the UK Avid distrib. for a customer who bought a Niner (29er) rigid with Elixir brakes who is getting horrible resonance from both front and rear brakes

replaced the stock G3 rotors with the undrilled rotors and the noise disappeared

heard of this issue on Trek Session amongst other frames too?

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
The brake issue is similar to that of the Trek Session ABP. Some frames seems to have the issue while others do not (while running identical specs). Regardless it was an easy fix for me.Faced all the mounting holes, cleaned and regreased the rear pivots and flip chip and tightened everything to spec.

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
a great tip for any riders on the 2011 Wilson SP who wants to protect their rear shock from roost

grab a RR (rapid racer) neoprene fork mudguard in the 200mm variety

this straps perfectly in the rear of the Wilson and stops any crud spraying your shock bushings or shock shaft ;)

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
That frame is HAWT!!!!! Digging the subtle colors on the black frame. Any word if that was going to be a production frame/color? Price to stay the same? Any pics of the completes? Cheers.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That frame is HAWT!!!!! Digging the subtle colors on the black frame. Any word if that was going to be a production frame/color? Price to stay the same? Any pics of the completes? Cheers.
That's a production frame color - Fuzzy edition. The carbon seatstay looks awesome in person.