Quantcast

2012 canfield jedi

invol2ver

Chimp
Aug 23, 2010
hey guys. looking to out a preorder in on a 2012 canfield jedi. anybody with any experience on the jedi..thoughts and opinions? also shock suggestions?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I really want to test ride one but the only one in here is owned by a ~100kg guy with a bos up front. No front traction may influence my opinion a bit. Id say test ride it if you can as from what I gather they ride a bit different from most other bikes.

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
Incredible bike, seriously the rearward travel eats square edged hits better than any bike I have ever ridden and the geometry is spot on, it handles great.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
The hype is real, i owned a few of them, and i wish i didnt sell them, unbelievable bike, especially in the rough.

Avoid the DHX, elka is real good, Roco air is supposed to be good, AVY is the best (im told)

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
I own an '08 and love it, about the only bike I'd sell it for is a carbon version. Chris recommended the Elka when I talked with him, but that was 3 years ago...DHX's are awesome, I rode a friends jedi with a DHX tuned by fox for him(he weighs the same) and it was super smooth. Apparently the elkas are a bit easier to tune by the home mechanic, at least that's what I remember Chris saying.

I've got an 09 boxxer on mine, love it. I actually have a CCDB on the back. People will say it's a terrible choice because the linkage is linear and that damper is too while you should only mix(prog linkage w/linear damper & vice versa), I've never had a problem with it. I'm hoping to get back into DH racing this year, the rear damper makes a difference, but riding skill makes much more of a difference. One comment another racer made after following me down was "damn, in sections where you were kick pushing/coasting due to a dropped chain I was still having a hard time keeping up"

Only thing I'd suggest with the frame is the shortest cage derailleur and tightest chain you can find. The only two flaws I've found in the first gen, not sure if they've been changed are.
-the bolt holding the toothed roller on the frame is too small, mine bent within a few weeks and squeakes a lot, I mentioned this to Chris and he was kinda dismissive of it, but if you think about it for a sec that bolt sees extreme stress when you start hammering on the pedals. IMO it should be something like a grade 12.9 12mm hollow bolt, same weight but stiff and hard enough it shouldn't bend.
-the linkage seems to create a bit more chain growth/slack as the suspension cycles, unfortunately the "short cage" XT shadow derailleur has an effin' long cage + a bad chainguide(should have bought the MRP G2 they offer with it) = dropped chains.

1st post in years:rolleyes:

I guess what I'm saying is call or email Chris and take his advice, he's a really nice guy and won't bite.

Edit: 5'11, 170 in gear, medium frame, 400lb spring, 25-30% sag. Feels good, I'd go with a 450 for hucking, probably 350-375 for racing. It doesn't "pop" as well as some bikes, but does so much better than say a V10 where it feels like I'm going to have a hernia trying to get the rear end off the ground flicking the bike berm to berm.

Edit again, frame is a bit on the small side but feels fine after a day.

Last edited:

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I own a 2010, any questions on the Jedi, pm me. I have had a lot of riding time on it.

Gurney

Chimp
Jan 14, 2010
I have a medium 2012 with an Elka shock and Boxxer R2C2. As mentioned above the hype is true, I find that the bike is capable of taking the harshest lines without missing a beat. The ultimate monster trucker. I have two complaints
1. I am 5'11 and ride a medium - should have gotten a large
2. The bike lacks the pop of others I have had. This is probably more me then the bike, as I had limited time on the bike last year.

Talk to Chris and Lance, great company. You will not be disappointed with this frame.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Sort of off topic but......

I'm 5'8", would a small 2011 or 2012 Jedi be too small? Based on the specs it looks like I could go either way. Anyone else around the same height as me on one of these?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I can't speak for the 2011, but my 2010 medium feels small to me (I'm 5'10). Took some getting used to and a couple of calls to the brothers to get it dialed, but I'm happy with it now. I would bet a medium at 5' 8 would be perfect.

Last edited:

Gurney

Chimp
Jan 14, 2010
I would go for the medium. As I mentioned above 5'11 and i feel the medium is slightly too small.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I have a medium 2012 with an Elka shock and Boxxer R2C2. As mentioned above the hype is true, I find that the bike is capable of taking the harshest lines without missing a beat. The ultimate monster trucker. I have two complaints
1. I am 5'11 and ride a medium - should have gotten a large
2. The bike lacks the pop of others I have had. This is probably more me then the bike, as I had limited time on the bike last year.

Talk to Chris and Lance, great company. You will not be disappointed with this frame.
I have pretty much the same observations as you do. How much do you weight and what rate spring are you running just out of curiosity?

Gurney

Chimp
Jan 14, 2010
2011 Jedi - Medium with Elka shock

Rider weight - 170lbs with gear
Shock Position - Middle
Coil # - 400lb ( going up to 450lb next year )
HSC - 7
LSC - 15
Rebound - 12
Sag - 30%

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
This talk about lack of pop on the newer Jedi's is making me happier with my '10. I'm 185 lbs, running a 400lb spring on an Avy-tized Swinger 6 way, and my Jedi is the poppiest dh bike I've ridden. Soo much fun on jump trails...

The first time I rode a friends Jedi, I decided I had to have one...The bike is so smooth in rough rocky sections - simply amazing... like nothing I've ever ridden. The faster you go over the rocks, the better the bike feels! Sold my Intense M6 and got a 2009 Jedi with Elka 2 seasons ago. Last season, I ended up getting a 2011 Jedi with Avy, and it is an amazing bike! The last generation jedi's were really nice, the new ones are a little bit refined and a little nicer cornering... Rear ends feel kinda similar, butit's kinda nice to have the rear shock adjustment holes to go from Linear to progressive on the new Jedi's... The newer Jedi's corner a bit better, and the addition of the 1.5" headtube is nice to dial in the front end exactly how you want it for a specific race course...

I'm 5'6" and I had a 2009 small, and it felt a little cramped in the cockpit, but I got used to it... but I decided to go with a medium when I ordered my 2011- and it feels pretty good... I think the jedi's tend to run a little bit small...

Chris & Lance are a class act! Excellent customer service, and they are really putting out some awesome products... You won't be dissapointed with a jedi... It's really like a "cheater" bike! Once you start riding a Jedi, you'll wish you would have bought one sooner!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
They are sized smaller for sure... I am five eight and live my medium. My demo nine medium was MUCH bigger.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
They should make them longer in the TT.

Though one thing makes me wonder and I want to ask Jedi users (the new ones). If the suspension was closer to the market average (lets say a glory or a sunday) would it still be a good bike? I understand the rear is a great selling point but for the less rough tracks is the bike good as well? Could you compare cornering and high speed stability with other bikes you have owned?

Gurney

Chimp
Jan 14, 2010
They should make them longer in the TT.

Though one thing makes me wonder and I want to ask Jedi users (the new ones). If the suspension was closer to the market average (lets say a glory or a sunday) would it still be a good bike? I understand the rear is a great selling point but for the less rough tracks is the bike good as well? Could you compare cornering and high speed stability with other bikes you have owned?
My previous bike where:
2009 Devinci Wilson
2006 SX Trail
2005 Bighit
Lots of others that are outdated

The biggest difference I noticed is in the rough, once the trail flattens out I feel that I have to work the bike harder to keep things going, compared to the Wilson. But for high speed, steep and deep, monster trucking the bike is amazing. Same as the cornering, once the trail points down the bike sits nice in the corners and shoots you out.

IMHO the Jedi is very similar to the Banshee Legend but with 2.5" of extra rearward fun. So with that in mind, I think the design would still be killer.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
i skyped with chris tonight from his taiwanese prison cell and he was telling me about an interesting jedi, no idea if it's going to production so i don't want to spoil anything but its gonna make a ridiculously fun bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My previous bike where:
2009 Devinci Wilson
2006 SX Trail
2005 Bighit
Lots of others that are outdated

The biggest difference I noticed is in the rough, once the trail flattens out I feel that I have to work the bike harder to keep things going, compared to the Wilson. But for high speed, steep and deep, monster trucking the bike is amazing. Same as the cornering, once the trail points down the bike sits nice in the corners and shoots you out.

IMHO the Jedi is very similar to the Banshee Legend but with 2.5" of extra rearward fun. So with that in mind, I think the design would still be killer.
The only thing that makes me wonder if is it more like the legend in places were something agile would be usefull. I love my Legend but sometimes it needs to go sideways to go fast and if the Jedi would require even more throwing it into some corners it might be not versatile enough for me.

I really hope there is a chance to ride one in PDS this year.

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
the jedi i rode seemed very agile, and the rearward path adds stability whether it be booting big ass jumps or shredding on flat berms. i feel like it allows you to keep your weight farther forward as the extendo wheelbase feature effectively balances everything out.

i was not sold on the roller chain doodad feature tho.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
The upper pulley is what makes this bike kill it in the rough.

Norbar - your talking about the One frame.
Nope. I'm talking about the Jedi. I've been in love with the idea since I first saw the bike but my Legend already requires some agressive cornering and I'm worried if the jedi axlepath makes it even more noticable. I'm in no way negative toward the bike. I just know that I spend most of my times either in bikeparks or on local tracks that are a bit tigther in the corners. I've almost bought a jedi some time ago but got a smoking deal on a legend and I'm still a big fan of your ideas and how much you support your brand and customers.

I probably need to ride one but as I've mentioned before. Not possible in Poland. At least not to my knowledge. Since I know your distro here I need to bug him to see if anyone I know put an order for one of the 2012s.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I'm 5'7" and have a medium 2011. The sizing feels perfect to me and I find I have a tendency to prefer smaller frames. I would not get a small at 5'8"

As far as the bike goes, I love it! It's just repetition at this point in the thread, but it's great with the rough stuff.. so much so that I almost wonder if I should be riding the next spring size up on the elka shock. :D It also feels rather nimble, or at least compared to my prior bike.

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Nope. I'm talking about the Jedi. I've been in love with the idea since I first saw the bike but my Legend already requires some agressive cornering and I'm worried if the jedi axlepath makes it even more noticable. I'm in no way negative toward the bike. I just know that I spend most of my times either in bikeparks or on local tracks that are a bit tigther in the corners. I've almost bought a jedi some time ago but got a smoking deal on a legend and I'm still a big fan of your ideas and how much you support your brand and customers.

I probably need to ride one but as I've mentioned before. Not possible in Poland. At least not to my knowledge. Since I know your distro here I need to bug him to see if anyone I know put an order for one of the 2012s.
I had an 08 Jedi at the time of comparison and am on a '11 now. I was up in Fernie and swapped bikes with a guy who was on a Legend for a couple of runs. I can't say anything bad about the Legend but was eager to get back on my Jedi even though he was running a very well set up Dorado and I had my tired 09 boxxer world cup (Dorado felt so good I ended up ordering one at the end of the season and still loving on it). The Jedi rode noticeably more nimble than the Legend. We were similar height and weight and felt it was setup well with all top of the line components. The bike felt like it tried to do with leverage rates what the Jedi does with rearward when it came to the square edge hits. I had a smoother ride on the Jedi but could pop and play and squirt around more in the spots where the Legend felt like it would not leave the ground. I can see the appeal of the Legend, but I wanted to have both worlds in regards to fun and fast and wanted my Jedi back. He also made a comment about how much more playful the Jedi was. I like my '11 Jedi more than the 08. Hooked up a buddy with the old frame and still ride it from time to time.

I think the Jedi would put you more in line with what you are thinking you want but I would also have a hard time pulling the trigger without your own test ride. Wish there was a convenient way to make that happen for you.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I will probably be in Morzine/PDS this year. Probably also Maribor or somewhere in Austria so maybe somewhere I will be able to test ride it. Though to be honest I'm in no hurry to change my Legend. I love how it rides and it's the first bike I had that has no isssues. It's just as stable in the rear as I want to get, anything more would be too much.

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I have my 4th Jedi on the way, (had an '08, '10, '11 and now the '12), all I can say is how much I love this bike. SUPER playful and really poppy when tuned correctly... Beware though, this confidence inspiring beast may get you into trouble...
Sender 223.jpg

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
that picture is rad every time I see it. If I move up to washington, a trip to kamloops is definitely in the cards.

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I super appreciate the props, however, to get back on topic.... the point is, it's amazing the boundaries you can push when you are comfortable on very dialed set up. The Jedi is just that, for me...

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Lance and Chris are great- their bikes are even better.

I have to ask, where was that "tribute to Lance" pic shot at? Was it Kamloops??

An to the iridemtb guy who has "plenty of riding on it", not this year you don't!! Think I burrow it for the Pagoda some weekend?? ;)

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
i feel like it allows you to keep your weight farther forward as the extendo wheelbase feature effectively balances everything out.
I think your mistaken in what you're feeling here. I think you'll find you actually naturally keep your weight back a touch more, as it gets shifted forward as both wheels go backwards under compression. So your feeling like your more forward as you are, but it's not you doing it, it's the bike.

Landing was out there for sure, it was tribute to Lance this fall...
View attachment 109717
Such rad shots.
I'd love to have a ride of one too, I'm sure I have a fair idea how it'll ride being on a Zerode now, Katipos before, Lahar before that, then BMW, Balfa BB7s and so on. Some with and some without idlers. I'm pretty positive they'd be awesome.
What actual changes have they made over the years? Geo, chain stay length, leverage curve etc?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Running a 2010 and its a sweet ride. I was struggling to adapt when I got it and fired Killington a mail. I was way way too low on my Elka settings. I upped the LSC to like 16 clicks and I could finaly hammer through corners. I am not sure how the 2011 and 2012 fell but lack of LSC on the Jedi really bogs it down. I also upped my HSC to 5 clicks and suddenly I didnt feel the bike blow through on big hits. I am now on 18-19 clicks of LSC and 5 clicks of HSC with 33% sag. I was bitching about the bike but in the end it was user error and the bike rips. I also found that I was getting hammered in the rough. Couldnt understand why everyone was raving about how awesome the Jedi was in the gnar. I finaly grew balls and added more LSC from 13 clicks and the bike was transformed again. It is a balance to get the rear to not get hung up on square edges because of too much compression but still roll over or ride on top of the rough stuff. And did I say how awesome this bike jumps - nuts. My only complaint is its a tad small, great for jumping but I do hang off the back on the steeps or feel like I am way over the bars blasting corners.

Again awesome pics Killington and thanks for the settings help. I am not convinced about the Elka. I sent it back because I really felt there was something wrong. They fixed it and shipped it free of charge, great CS. Way better when I got it back but after a few rides it seems to be playing up again. I would kill to try a Woodie and I am trying to sort that out.

Anyone tried other shocks other than Elka and Avy? I have read the Vivid works well on the Jedi.

Another thing to note the Jedi doesnt do well if ridden slowly. The faster you ride the better the bike feels, really comes alive at speed.

PsyCro

Chimp
Apr 10, 2011
Anybody got the lowdown on differences between the 2011 and the 2012 Jedi's? I haven't found any info on that so i assume that the 2012 is just a new batch of frames?