Quantcast

2010 Boxxer Oil Weights and Levels

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
Ok so had my 2010 Teams for a good few months now and while they feel great, even with the Soft spring i feel they could be a little softer, So i am wanting to know if anyone has played with the Oil Levels and Weights in theirs?

What Weight and How much have you got in yours if you have changed it? and what weight are you so i can compare.

J

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If its a possability hi speed tune from avy made the wc stupid plush. If not drop down the comp side a bit byt 2.5 wt and it will comensate a bit...
I tried oil weights etc and my issue was packing on high speed hits, had the Avy mod done and NO packing now but its also extremely plush feeling...
Just a thought, I know another guy in the industry whos tied in with sram for years (had some good info come his way) and revalved his as well without moding the springs or any other part and had huge results as well with his 2010 wc.

I know Craigs is more extensive and he re-works the interior a bit as well but its a HELL of an improvement over the stock boxxers.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Oil will affect your damping, but shouldn't have any effect on the spring rate. if you want your fork to be softer, you'll probably need a lighter spring.

For oil - go to www.SRAM.com and get the BoXXer tech manual. Simply follow the instructions.

the RockShox 5wt oil is what I would recommend for the damping leg. in the lowers you can use pretty much any 15/10 or 5wt oil for lubrication. if you don't mind rebuilding your fork more often - you can use Mobile 1 0W-20 engine oil.

Last edited:

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Great thread... with all the 2010 Boxxer bashing threads it is hard to find any useful unformation for tuning the fork. So lets keep this one free of bashing. :thumb:

That being said, any other tuning tips/pointers for the 2010 Boxxer? What works/what doesn't? What spring or psi are you running and how much do you weigh?

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
Bullcrew- Im in the UK so as much as i want Craig to do his thing i dont think i could wait that long for me to send it to himt hen wait for it to come back.

BTW im 12Stone fully Kitted and run the Soft Spring with No Low speed comp and 2 clicks of high speed. Run Slow rebound as well

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew- Im in the UK so as much as i want Craig to do his thing i dont think i could wait that long for me to send it to himt hen wait for it to come back.

BTW im 12Stone fully Kitted and run the Soft Spring with No Low speed comp and 2 clicks of high speed. Run Slow rebound as well
Well like Acadian said the dampening is going to be controlled by the oil weight to open it up and make it plush through the range ofcomp youll need to tune it, the spring will make some difference but the plush will come from dampening.

(better valving better flow)

I dont blame you as far as the wait, overseas sucks for delay....

If it were me and I didnt have access to resources here I would leavethe spring alone keep the preload where it needs to be and just run a lighter synthetic oil as well as pack the seals and wipers with slick honey and thats about as good as its going to get. If you want it at the next level it will need to be tuned.

TrailzHozer

Monkey
Jan 29, 2010
Well like Acadian said the dampening is going to be controlled by the oil weight to open it up and make it plush through the range ofcomp youll need to tune it, the spring will make some difference but the plush will come from dampening.

(better valving better flow)

I dont blame you as far as the wait, overseas sucks for delay....

If it were me and I didnt have access to resources here I would leavethe spring alone keep the preload where it needs to be and just run a lighter synthetic oil as well as pack the seals and wipers with slick honey and thats about as good as its going to get. If you want it at the next level it will need to be tuned.
Dampening huh?

:flood:

Yukonrider

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Marquette MI
In mine I took it right out of the box, put finish line stanchion lube teflo fluro crap on, then I flushed out all of the oil in the lowers, and put a mix of 50/50 rockshox red rum, and rockshox 5wt oil. I also packed the seals with slick honey grease.

I left the compression oil as from the factory..

I added extra mix to the spring side, not too much, but more than what the manual said, and then just a bit more on the dampener side. Doesn't get in the way of bottom out, but will lube a bit better.

My fork felt smoother in the parking lot right out of the box after I did this than my friends year old Fox. After I got one ride on it it was even better!

Then after about 10 minutes with the fork on trail I broke my finger.... so it still isn't even broken in, and I can't ride it for 4 more weeks (its been 6 already)

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
Sorry i should of worded it a bit better, The spring is fine i get just over the recommended sag, i just want the forks to be a bit more plus in the mid and end stroke.

Also would running the Rear of the bike softer( Circa 45%sag) affect the forks much? Will it make them seem as if they are stiffer than what they actually are?

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Care to explain yourself instead of posting crap?:rolleyes:
Running that much sag is useless. You get less usable travel and the bike just feels sluggish. It may be beneficial in some special conditions, but generally the super soft setups just suck. Don't try softening your fork to compensate for soft rear shock. Instead, get the correct spring rate for your shock and be happy with your fork. I'm 170-175lb kitted up and run the stock Boxxer spring. Your soft spring will be fine for sure. You can try cutting the dropstop elastomer to get less progression, but at your weight, I find it ridiculous.

Last edited:

jammie654

Chimp
Dec 15, 2009
Scotland
But when you have a CCDB it doesnt really bog down ;)

Getting a stiffer spring for the rear anyway as i am putting on weight, Anyone wanna buy a 325lbs Obtainium spring or swap me for a 350 or 375?

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi

Why not send ya Boxxer to TF Tuned?
For a re valve!

still running in the UK?

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Without digging up other Boxxer threads or posting a new one...

After full day of riding I was still only getting 7" of travel with the drop stop dialed all the way out. I have read; push the MCU all the way to the bottom of the spring, or cut it 1". What if I just took the MCU out completely, wouldn't it be like any other fork before this?

Suggestions welcome... I think the drop stop thing is kind of stupid anyways.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I think the drop stop thing is kind of stupid anyways.
Suspension with a speed sensitive damper DOES need some kind of bottom out thing to help with progression in spring curve. Whether it is hydraulic or mechanical principle, important is that the transition from a linear spring rate increase during initial travel is more fluent towards full bottom out (infinite spring rate). It makes little sense to have a linear curve that, at a certain point at the end of travel, instantly becomes infinite.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Rather than making it (the drop stop bumper) shorter, moving it lower in the spring, or removing it all together, has anyone tried grinding or cutting it to make it a conical shaped bumper like on a rear shock? Wouldn't that make it a little easier squish that little sucker a little bit? I have no experience w/this fork so I am only asking out of curiosity.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
I'm changing the spring in my boxxer rc everyone says to grease the spring with slick honey I can't get any in time for this weekend what else can I use all the Manuel says is suspension oil soluable any help would be great

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
why the **** is everyone greasing the spring? the only reason i can come up with for this is to reduce the rattle - well guess what, we have shrink wraps for that.

the reason i wrote that the way i did is because all that grease does is mix with and thicken that little bit of oil that's in there, preventing it from reaching and lubricating the bushings which leads to stiction (in an already pretty sticky fork) and possibly bushing and stanchion wear. just lightly coat it with oil, nothing else.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
why the **** is everyone greasing the spring? the only reason i can come up with for this is to reduce the rattle - well guess what, we have shrink wraps for that.

the reason i wrote that the way i did is because all that grease does is mix with and thicken that little bit of oil that's in there, preventing it from reaching and lubricating the bushings which leads to stiction (in an already pretty sticky fork) and possibly bushing and stanchion wear. just lightly coat it with oil, nothing else.
The forks not sticky if you put slick honey on the bushings and seals. The grease is on the spring for friction against the ID of the stanchion and stop it from rubbing.