Quantcast

2009 Yeti 303 Crack

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
Found a crack on my frame today and I'm pissed. :banghead: Went right to the bike shop and they told me to call up Yeti and see what they say. Now I need to get a proof of purchase and hopefully Yeti will warranty it. Weird spot for a crack huh?

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
what did you expect the bike shop to do? they have to carry every size in every manufacturer just incase some average joe with some random frame drops in to get a new one....bike crack people die **** happens

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
what did you expect the bike shop to do? they have to carry every size in every manufacturer just incase some average joe with some random frame drops in to get a new one....bike crack people die **** happens
To call the manufacturer or rep and take care of everything, like a dealer.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Out of interest, have you ever had the back end of that frame apart? Could see the word "over-torqued" being used in your near future
what he said.

edit: very weird spot for a crack, unless over torqued, in which case, very very unsurprising spot for a crack.

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
When I first got the bike I loosened the two bolts to change the head angle and thats the only time the bolts have ever been touched. The bolts were hand tightened.

was?

Monkey
Mar 9, 2010
Dresden, Germany
Out of interest, have you ever had the back end of that frame apart? Could see the word "over-torqued" being used in your near future
may just as well be attributed to poor construction, if we are guessworking...
call yeti and see what they'll do about it. keep us updated!

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
hhhmmmm hopefully Yeti's warranty dept are the kind type if they see it that way too! Hand tightened doesn't mean that you couldn't have over-tightened it, I assume a torque-wench* wasn't involved?

*not judging, have never had one anywhere near my bike!

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
My buddy is the warranty manager at Jamis and he said if he saw a crack like that he would warranty it right away. Hopefully Yeti will do the same, or have a replacement part I can buy.

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
I got the original receipt from Go Ride. Now I'm going to go to the bike shop any see what they can do.

dublindh

Chimp
Jun 22, 2008
Went right to the bike shop and they told me to call up Yeti and see what they say.
go direct to yeti it will be quicker you have the receipt anyways sure they themselves will want it....a friend of mine busted his 303rdh rear end off a tree because he's retarded and yeti offered him a replacement front end for close to 600dollars i believe....if the engineers deem the pinch bolt to have been overtightened this is what you'll be expected to fork out for replacement

glad i sold my 303dh.....pain in the ring to have to be honest...however nothing compares to it in a straight line

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
But he bought the frame from Go Ride and it reads like he's automatically expecting his LBS in Jersey to spend their time (therefore costing them money) helping him with warranty issues.

Presuming location details of the OP are correct.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
But he bought the frame from Go Ride and it reads like he's automatically expecting his LBS in Jersey to spend their time (therefore costing them money) helping him with warranty issues.

Yes. That's what being a dealer involves. You know, helping people who own the products you sell and with whom you do business? Otherwise known as customers?

Call me crazy, but the shops I go into (and go back to) are usually the ones I find to be helpful. This would also include making an expensive toll-free call to Colorado.

"therefore costing them money"??? as if bike shops suddenly adopted the billing practices of law offices. Would you expect to pay a test ride fee for a bike you decided not to buy, after all that cost the shop money right? Maybe charge you $2 to borrow a 5mil? Didn't think so.

Last edited:

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Here's our official warranty procedure:

1. Post hires photos on an internet forum.
2. Ask the community what you should do.
3. Argue with everyone as to whether it's covered under warranty.
4. Profit!

That about covers it. :)

Just kidding. You'll need to put your claim in with an authorized Yeti dealer; we strongly recommend that you do it with the shop that sold you the bike. The shop should collect photos of the issue, a proof of purchase, and a serial number, and the procedure goes pretty smoothly. Our warranty manager, Nate Espinosa, is the best in the business, and you can count on him to be generous and very fair.

FYI,

John P.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Here's our official warranty procedure:

1. Post hires photos on an internet forum.
2. Ask the community what you should do.
3. Argue with everyone as to whether it's covered under warranty.
4. Profit!

That about covers it. :)
lololol

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
1a (optional): Badmouth said company while expecting expedited service.

No that we've ever seen that done around here. . . .

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
We have stores around here that will refuse to help out with frames and parts bought online. I can definitely see their point too. Customer buys something online instead of from the dealer to save a couple bucks, but then comes limping in when something goes wrong? F that. Go deal with who you bought it from.

Also, comparing Yeti's warranty to Jamis isn't really fair. Yeti makes good bikes. Jamis ....not so much.

gfisher270

Monkey
Aug 23, 2008
NNJ
Took the bike to Tenafly Bike Shop since they're a Yeti dealer. I met Rich, he rides downhill and seems really nice. We took some pictures of the crack and they are going to contact Yeti. Everyone was nice and helped me out. It's one of the better shops I've been to. Just have to wait and see what Yeti is going to do.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
We have stores around here that will refuse to help out with frames and parts bought online. I can definitely see their point too. Customer buys something online instead of from the dealer to save a couple bucks, but then comes limping in when something goes wrong? F that. Go deal with who you bought it from.

Also, comparing Yeti's warranty to Jamis isn't really fair. Yeti makes good bikes. Jamis ....not so much.
At the least, in Australia, this is because the manufacturers or distributors won't let you go to them directly.

A bike shop has to offer me something for my money, in my case it's parts in stock that I want right now. Ordering a bike in for me and charging me 30% for the privilege is beyond the the realm of understanding the term "value adding" for most people, hence the increase in online ordering. Afterall, the retailers don't actually contribute to the product that's made in Taiwan, so I don't really have much sympathy.

Manufacturers need to understand online sales are only going to increase and provide an easy avanue for people to return their frames to them for warranty ect. Perhaps the situation in the states is better.

Ps, Rant over.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head

Would you expect warranty help with your car/truck from any dealership that sells that brand even if you did not purchase it there

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
For me, the tread starts with: "This message is hidden because gfisher270 is on your ignore list. "
Reading everyone's comments, it seems like I made a good choice a long time ago.

:)

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Would you expect warranty help with your car/truck from any dealership that sells that brand even if you did not purchase it there
Yes, but the auto industry is all grown up and mature. Bike industry is childish and unprofessional.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
A dealer should handle warranty claims for the brands they carry, regardless of whether the bike was bought online.

It doesn't "cost" the shop money. Sure, there is time associated with taking a picture, and making a phone call. Minimal. However, there is also cost of labor to be charged at 2 points that offsets any hassle: disassembly, and reassembly. $200 for 2 hours of a mechanics time is money in the register, and the customer gets what they need. In addition, in order for the customer to continue having that warranty, they need to abide by the brand's rule that an authorized dealer completes the work at this juncture.

I handle this scenerio all the time. I'm up front about the fees, i'm prompt with the phone call, and the customer pays for it. If they think they should be able to build it in their garage and avoid the fee, thats fine, but it won't be through our shop, and they are welcome to drive 100 miles to the next one for the same answer. It's not a moral issue, and the "us vs the internet" is as bad for business as the internet. Put your smile on and charge for your time.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
absofrigginlutely. my three previous cars i had were all brand new (company cars) and i took them to local dealers here to fix the issue. the dealers that delivered the cars were 200 miles away in a different state. my local dealers had zero issue with fixing the problem since they were billing the car mfg for the repairs.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
In addition, in order for the customer to continue having that warranty, they need to abide by the brand's rule that an authorized dealer completes the work at this juncture.
What brands require that a shop handle the disassembly/assembly of a bike in order for the frame warranty to be valid? I have never seen this in any warranty literature and, if the original purchase was 'frame only' it makes absolutely no sense. Obviously the labor necessary to tear down/rebuild would be an added charge, if needed, but I have never seen it as a pre-requisite of warranty coverage and doubt its legal to require it.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
A dealer should handle warranty claims for the brands they carry, regardless of whether the bike was bought online.

It doesn't "cost" the shop money. Sure, there is time associated with taking a picture, and making a phone call. Minimal. However, there is also cost of labor to be charged at 2 points that offsets any hassle: disassembly, and reassembly. $200 for 2 hours of a mechanics time is money in the register, and the customer gets what they need. In addition, in order for the customer to continue having that warranty, they need to abide by the brand's rule that an authorized dealer completes the work at this juncture.

I handle this scenerio all the time. I'm up front about the fees, i'm prompt with the phone call, and the customer pays for it. If they think they should be able to build it in their garage and avoid the fee, thats fine, but it won't be through our shop, and they are welcome to drive 100 miles to the next one for the same answer. It's not a moral issue, and the "us vs the internet" is as bad for business as the internet. Put your smile on and charge for your time.
Seems kind of fair, but why not just add an option for the customer to pay for "handling fees" if they want to build it themselves?

And general lee- I think there's a difference between being "sold" something (including test rides) and having the shop do a service. The biggest thing that I see undermine shops is not charging for service when it should be charged.
If you charge for labor and services properly, who cares where the bike came from?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yes, because not only do people buy from cheaper dealers but a lot of customers move during their warranty period. It would be stupid to go back to the original dealer all the time. This is what a dealer network is for. In the end it will level out (or the manufacturer is paying for it).

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I have more faith in Yeti then I do in their dealers.
One of their dealers kinda screwed me when I dented each side of the head tube.
But guys like John there are good folk.

alex

Chimp
May 20, 2004
I imagine this twat actually called Yeti right when the crack was found and they told him that this would be an issue solved with a crash-replace fee. Based on this guys uninformed rhetoric and unintelligent order of handling the warrantee he probably felt entitled to a new frame and was sour when he found that Yeti considers his user/instalation error something he must cover.

I reckon he went to ridemonkey to find a solution. Guhhhh why?

Be mature. Call the brand. Pay the fee for replacing the part you broke. And never ever use ridemonkey.com as a means to avoiding a crash-replace fee.

And......

I imagine the crack was found when this quagmire was cleaning all his dopey purple components.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
On a 6mm cap screw into aluminum? Really? If you don't have a "common-sense" torque wrench built into your wrenching hand for something so basic, you probably should not wielding tools around bikes.
Hey,not everyone knows the tolerences of materials,say alu or carbon.

Thats why compagnys put specs.To protect themselves from idiot owners doing things themselves wen they dont know.Its also for the customer so he doesn't have to buy things twice.

Some people just dont like reading things.

Bontrager alu stems have specs for clamping pressure.hell I have a race lite alu one right beside me with 5.2N.M as clamp pressure.