Quantcast

2005 Intense Uzzi VPX help

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
Hey guys, i have a 05 Uzzi VPX. Its been an ok bike so far, however i have noticed the rear triangle seems to be quite flexy. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket links or an fix ever provided by Intense that helps with this? I am also getting some ghost shifting as well, which may or may not be directly related to the flex in the rear end.

Thanks monkies.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
have you checked the bearings in the pivots to make sure they are still good? for a bike that age, that and proper pivot bolt torque are the first things i'd check

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
There are no aftermarket links and the flex is not coming from the links to begin with. It is from the tubes of the rear triangle, so not much you can do about it.
But like jonKranked is saying, make sure all bearings are OK and the pivot bolts are tight. Other than that, a 12 mm axle helps lots as does some non-QR skewers (e.g. http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=2258&category=160 ) if you want to run a 9 mm wheelset.

The ghost shifting comes from the weird cable routing on the frame, not any type of flex. You can avoid it by either running full length housing and routing it in a similar way to a Socom or use brake housing (more flexible).

Hope this helps.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
iRider is right, the rear triangle is a huge steaming POS, and the elastic modulus of $hit is pretty low. Solution: sell VPX and buy a bike that's been properly designed. I do agree that a 12mm axle helps a lot, but not enough IMO. There's no fixing stupid and the rear triangle is a very stupid design. And yes I am bitter about spending so much of my money on such a crappy frame. I'll never consider buying an Intense again after owning the VPX.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
iRider is right, the rear triangle is a huge steaming POS, and the elastic modulus of $hit is pretty low. Solution: sell VPX and buy a bike that's been properly designed. I do agree that a 12mm axle helps a lot, but not enough IMO. There's no fixing stupid and the rear triangle is a very stupid design. And yes I am bitter about spending so much of my money on such a crappy frame. I'll never consider buying an Intense again after owning the VPX.
Wow didnt realize it was that bad.

Thanks for the post everyone.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wow didnt realize it was that bad.

Thanks for the post everyone.
It isn't that bad. But if you are a heavyweight rider or super aggressive or anal about flex then yeah, the frame is not for you. I am light and love my VPX and Socom (same rear triangle). I am not buying into these super stiff frames, somehow a little flex makes a frame track better. But the VPX is definitely on the side of softer frames, even for me. Super fun bike though, especially with the slacker dropouts.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No, the Uzzi VP that replaced the VPX was already changed which improved things but not made it super stiff. The newer style asymmetric swingarms like the ones found on Tracer 2, new Uzzi etc. seem to be a major improvement. Haven't had any sufficient saddle time on any of those, so I can't really compare. Like I said, it never bothered me too much. You can impress your riding buddies in the parking lot by grabbing the rear wheel and flexing the swingarm around, but on the trail I don't really realize it. Bike comes out of ruts and corners with not problem for me.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
My previous bike was a foes fly, so maybe im just alittle jaded, but for me my vpx does not even approach the stiffness of my fly.(fyi im 210lbs in gear, not sure if i would be considered light...)

Its not a deal breaker, its just a nagging thought in the back of my head, i dont like the idea that i bought a premium bike frame and have to put up with sub par frame stiffness.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
It's bad enough that if you've rode a bike that doesn't flex much, the VPX will seem very flexy. The other bad thing about the VPX's flex is that it feels dead instead of springy... there's a lot of flex that isn't opposed by much resistance until it's already moved alot, so you don't get that snap back, instead it just tracks like crap and feels kinda dead. I realize the VPX isn't a DH race bike... but my Session 88 does everything better than the VPX, including going uphill/trail use. At speed it puts the VPX to shame. In fact, my '09 Remedy with coil shock and 36 fork does everything better than the Uzzi except plow rock gardens.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I realize the VPX isn't a DH race bike... but my Session 88 does everything better than the VPX, including going uphill/trail use. At speed it puts the VPX to shame. In fact, my '09 Remedy with coil shock and 36 fork does everything better than the Uzzi except plow rock gardens.
Are you high? The Session does not exactly have the seat tube angle to climb well and there is no way a Remedy can take as much abuse as a VPX. The VPX is a big bike that can be pedaled uphill. It works surprising well over a wider range of conditions than it was meant to cover. Interestingly, you compare it with a Session and a Remedy but you should compare it to a Scratch. Which proves that it is quite versatile. ;) With slacker dropouts the geometry is quite current. Only problem is the weight (and maybe the flex).

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I am not buying into these super stiff frames, somehow a little flex makes a frame track better.
I haven't found that to be true, however I have noticed that you often won't notice the detriment of a frame or fork with more flex until you ride something stiffer (for a significant period of time - i.e. own it) and then try to go back. If you never do that, then you'll probably never have a problem with it.

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
I haven't found that to be true, however I have noticed that you often won't notice the detriment of a frame or fork with more flex until you ride something stiffer (for a significant period of time - i.e. own it) and then try to go back. If you never do that, then you'll probably never have a problem with it.
Unfortunately i find this to be very true, and directly applying to my current circumstance.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I actually own a Session 88 and have owned a vpx so I can make this comparison... I don't give a crap what you think. Whatever man, ride your Uzzi if you're happy with it. I didn't like mine.

Are you high? The Session does not exactly have the seat tube angle to climb well and there is no way a Remedy can take as much abuse as a VPX. The VPX is a big bike that can be pedaled uphill. It works surprising well over a wider range of conditions than it was meant to cover. Interestingly, you compare it with a Session and a Remedy but you should compare it to a Scratch. Which proves that it is quite versatile. ;) With slacker dropouts the geometry is quite current. Only problem is the weight (and maybe the flex).

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
^^This

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have found that too stiff of a frame or fork doesn't work for me. I only remember one frame that I thought was too flexy (Intense 6.6) but many that felt too stiff. With forks it is even worse. Old Dorado was fine, 32 mm Boxxer was fine, new 35 mm is optimum IMO, 40 is too stiff. I am on the fence with the BOS. Still haven't completely dialed it in yet but it somehow bounces off rocks sideways. Trying to remedy this with damping adjustments, change in cockpit setup and tire change didn't result in a significant improvement. :confused:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I actually own a Session 88 and have owned a vpx so I can make this comparison... I don't give a crap what you think. Whatever man, ride your Uzzi if you're happy with it. I didn't like mine.
Fair enough. I just can't see how you can ever climb a Session more efficiently then a VPX while in the saddle. A friend rides the Session 88 FR (the Session with the Totem) and you sit waaaaayy over the rear wheel when you raise the saddle into a climbing position. You are right, I didn't own both but think I still have a good feeling for the differences between the bikes.
Regarding flex: you are right, the Session is stiffer.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have found that too stiff of a frame or fork doesn't work for me. I only remember one frame that I thought was too flexy (Intense 6.6) but many that felt too stiff. With forks it is even worse. Old Dorado was fine, 32 mm Boxxer was fine, new 35 mm is optimum IMO, 40 is too stiff. I am on the fence with the BOS. Still haven't completely dialed it in yet but it somehow bounces off rocks sideways. Trying to remedy this with damping adjustments, change in cockpit setup and tire change didn't result in a significant improvement. :confused:
Perhaps that's personal preference combined with what you have spent more time on.

I've had 32/35/36/40mm forks (ridden for at least a season each) and going back to the smaller diameter forks I can feel the fork flexing under moderate-to-hard cornering, and a less direct translation of my bar inputs to the ground and vice versa, which ultimately doesn't let me ride as fast. I never had an issue with 32-35mm until I tried going back to them after a full season on 40mm. I've also noticed that drifts are noticeably more predictable and controllable on frames with stiffer rearends.

For interests' sake, the entire 5-man podium at the last WC round (on one of the roughest tracks in the series) were on 40mm forks. Voids any tracking argument IMO.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Unfortunately i find this to be very true, and directly applying to my current circumstance.
What's your hub and axle setup? As suggested above already, switching to a 12mm through-axle if you haven't already will probably help a lot.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Uzzi VPX's main problem is not the soft rear end (which most people get used to after a while) but its overall geometry with super high BB height and steep HA. I sold mine after less than 4 months on it (couldn't really corner with it). No comparison to a Trek Session, which is a legitimate DH bike, while Uzzi VPX is basically a 8" trail/FR bike.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Uzzi VPX's main problem is not the soft rear end (which most people get used to after a while) but its overall geometry with super high BB height and steep HA. I sold mine after less than 4 months on it (couldn't really corner with it). No comparison to a Trek Session, which is a legitimate DH bike, while Uzzi VPX is basically a 8" trail/FR bike.
I got two words for you: slacker dropouts! :D

But we agree, it is not a DH race chassis (maybe was in 2005 when it was first released, David Klaassenvanorschott raced it). But that is exactly my point. You can ride DH on it but you can also trailride it. Versatility. :thumb:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Perhaps that's personal preference combined with what you have spent more time on.
This is why I said 'doesn't work for me'. ;)

For interests' sake, the entire 5-man podium at the last WC round (on one of the roughest tracks in the series) were on 40mm forks. Voids any tracking argument IMO.
Just to point out the obvious: with their suspension setup I would be bouncing all over the place, so I think the least of my problems would be frame or fork flex. ;)

But if you start with what the pro's ride: there were rumors that Gee tried to make the Commencal 'softer' last year because it didn't track as well as he would liked it to.
Nico is a big fan of softer frames and forks too, hence the Lapierre's pretty flexy (by RM standards) swingarm and it was also rumored that he requested the Deville to be made 'softer'.

Maybe it comes down to personal preferences, also for the pros?

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
I got two words for you: slacker dropouts! :D
Wasn't available way back when I had it. Neither was Angleset. With both you can probably get it slacker and lower. Don't know by how much without doing the math.

You still have the issue of high leverage ratio and short wheelbase.

A friend still rides one. My brother has his VPX frame in the garage somewhere as a backup. And a couple of my buddies still like and ride their Santa Cruz VP Free which is very similar. :)

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Wasn't available way back when I had it. Neither was Angleset. With both you can probably get it slacker and lower. Don't know by how much without doing the math.

You still have the issue of high leverage ratio and short wheelbase.

A friend still rides one. My brother has his VPX frame in the garage somewhere as a backup. And a couple of my buddies still like and ride their Santa Cruz VP Free which is very similar. :)
I think the slacker dropouts changed the HA half a degree and the lowered the bb less than half an inch. It helped but did not fix it. When you're starting out with a 15" BB height and 67 degree HA it's gonna take more than moving the rear axle down a half inch...

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I think the slacker dropouts changed the HA half a degree and the lowered the bb less than half an inch. It helped but did not fix it. When you're starting out with a 15" BB height and 67 degree HA it's gonna take more than moving the rear axle down a half inch...
Mine sits at 14" BB (depending on tires) and a 66.x° HA with a Sherman fork. I know, it is not the cool 58° HA and 11.32" BB height everybody on here rides, but it works quite well for me and what I do with the bike.