Quantcast

2004 Dirt Jumper 1s?

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
MY friend just got a shiny new Dirt Jumper 1 for his bike (2004 modle). The thing is that he put the recomended amount of air into the pre-load valves (30psi) and it is incredibly stiff as far as the travel goes... (pushing on it) and are basically rigid. Maybe its just the fork design to get better boost of the lip but it seems like they would be more plush than they are. Let me know if any of you own this fork and if you have had any simular problems. Thanks.

CowboyLeo

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
2 oh 2
I run negative psi in the air chambers. (Compressed fork with valves open then closed valves with fork compressed and let go of fork) It makes it more sensitive in the beginning of its travel and towards the end it starts to ramp up as the pressure goes up. If you want it to be plush do this or at least lower it from 30, thats way too much. He can lower the oil as well if hes not getting as much travel as he wants. Is he actually gonna be dirt jumping with it?

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Yep, the reccomended levels in the manual are way too high. I've only run about 7-8 psi in mine.

Mitch

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
PEI, Canada
Ice Bullit said:
MY friend just got a shiny new Dirt Jumper 1 for his bike (2004 modle). The thing is that he put the recomended amount of air into the pre-load valves (30psi) and it is incredibly stiff as far as the travel goes... (pushing on it) and are basically rigid. Maybe its just the fork design to get better boost of the lip but it seems like they would be more plush than they are. Let me know if any of you own this fork and if you have had any simular problems. Thanks.
I run a DJ1 2004 on my 2004 norco 4 HUN. I just left it as is from my dealer, and it feels great. Did you check the rebound on the bottom of the fork? I geuss I should ask my LBS next time i'm there what the pressure is in the fork so I can let you know.

Sep 10, 2001
Just set the pressure to what feels comfortable to you.... I only ran about 7psi in my DJ last year... Start at about 10psi and go from there...

Brian

InsaneP2Rider

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
i have a '03 dirt jumper one, and i usually run only about 4-5 psi. And with no air in it when i hit up the downhill runs. but '03 and the '04 could be a little different...i wouldnn't know

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Nope, that'll release too much air each time you use it. You'll need to use a shock pump, hopefully a low pressure one for better accuracy at low psi.