Quantcast

2003 giant ac2

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
Scrub said:
and..............any details or just parading around.

nice looking though
not really

well

-2003 giant ac2 frame
-manitou swinger 4-way
-marzocchi super t
-d321's laced to shimano xt qr/velocity 20mm
-avid 6 in. mechanicals disc
-wtb 2.5 weirwolf's
- azonic love seat
-shimano lx/xt with lx shifter/brakelever combo (sucks)
-race face prodigy dh crankset

i think that covers it, naything else?

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
I am about to order a Love Seat from Jenson. How you like yours?

Did the 321's make a big difference in stiffness? My AC handles pretty good but it feels a little flexy (side to side) down by the chainstay pivot/BB. You think maybe it's just the wheels that make it feel like that? I have my spokes as tight as I dare already.

I ride alot with my butt over the rear tire, was thinking of trying a 24" with a bigazz tire back there.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Attachments

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Yup, long steerer and short stem. I have whacked off another inch off both the steerer and seat post since that picture. The Z150 had just been installed.

But...

I'm 6' tall, got monkey arms and it's only an 18" frame (med) I'm taking a break (to heal my back) from motocross so I'm used to riding with ape-hanger CR-Hi bars. No betta to keep my back straight.

This MTB thing's pretty dang fun, good cardio and makes my spine feel better :thumb:

Chris

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
Duzitall said:

Did the 321's make a big difference in stiffness? My AC handles pretty good but it feels a little flexy (side to side) down by the chainstay pivot/BB. You think maybe it's just the wheels that make it feel like that? I have my spokes as tight as I dare already.

I ride alot with my butt over the rear tire, was thinking of trying a 24" with a bigazz tire back there.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
the love seat is pretty good, it's hard to get used to at first because it's wider than average seats. the d321's are great, they increase the stiffness pretty well. i got my complete wheelset at www.universalcycles.com for 240$ (including shipping)! that was a great deal and best upgrade i have made...

maybe, you, being a tall person. try a titec hellbent seat post so that way you have a little more cockpit room...

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
i heard that bike is pretty heavy for just a long travel trail bike. i actually have one in my sights, but i'd have to sell my specialized enduro for it. how does it ride?

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
38 lbs as pictured. Peddals EZ and handles pretty well but it ain't no DH bike.

A little value shopping and I have about $1850 usd total in it including the Z150. A whole lot less $$$$ than a Turner 5 spot.

Overall, a great first FS bike for me.

Chris

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
awholelota said:
i heard that bike is pretty heavy for just a long travel trail bike. i actually have one in my sights, but i'd have to sell my specialized enduro for it. how does it ride?
it's a pretty good frame... pedals well. although i am having a little trouble getting the shock set-up (i have had no experiance with spv).

i use it for trailriding, freeriding, and downhill. yes, that's right, downhill. it is a little heavy for a trailbike. but, idont think giant is trying to make for an all around bike now, since they released the vt... bbut, if your looking for a bike that can pedal and take abuse, this is it

awholelota

Chimp
Apr 29, 2004
sf bay
sounds good. i can pick one up for around $800 with a jrT on it. i'm not sure what year the frame is though. when did they start putting the swingers on them?

BEAUster

Chimp
Sep 21, 2003
Boston, MA
awholelota said:
sounds good. i can pick one up for around $800 with a jrT on it. i'm not sure what year the frame is though. when did they start putting the swingers on them?
2003, if its a 2002 or older i would swap out the shock imeediatly, because the rock shox's are terrible

and the 2003's and newer have stronger gusset's etc.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Duzitall said:

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Love seat and a big 24" rear tire? Wow, welcome to the late 90s...

I thought we were over all that by now. Fashionable Eye for the Downhill Guy says "No" to that these days...

MD

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
MikeD said:
Love seat and a big 24" rear tire? Wow, welcome to the late 90s...

I thought we were over all that by now. Fashionable Eye for the Downhill Guy says "No" to that these days...

MD
That's about the time you started riding eh Mike? As far as old school goes, things go full circle...maybe I'll be a trend re-setter :D

Function over fashion anyway :thumb:

Chris

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
I wouldn't bother on the 24" wheel thing, unlwss you really want a bigger tire (but you can fit a decent size 26" on there though. I never liked having different sized wheels in the past: dual 26's on the offroad bikes and dual 24's on your BMXMTB type jobbies is the way to go. Fer me. You have to carry two sizes of tube all the time. Lame. The back wheel dosen't feel as smooth as the front. Also lame. Espically on the really rough trails.

My 02 AC ruled with dual 26's, I rode a guy's AC with a Z150 and a 24" rear wheel. Made for a pretty unbalanced machine (for me)

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
Good points Tashi,

Not optimum to run 26" tube in 24" rim for trailside flat repair, prolly works though. More important to me is maybe 24" won't roll over rough as well. It is just a trail bike.

Just thinking a little more slack on head angle would be nice along with less wheel flex in the rear. Works for big hit right?

Thanks, Chris

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Duzitall said:
My AC handles pretty good but it feels a little flexy (side to side) down by the chainstay pivot/BB.
Nature of that frame, just the way it is. WAY flexier side to side than my Fly. Lot easier to pedal though.

Whatever you do, DON'T ride that Swinger (don't even sit on the bike) with anything less than 50 psi in it, you'll either blow the seal or suck in air. Trust me on this one.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
BEAUster said:
if your looking for a bike that can pedal and take abuse, this is it
I wouldn't get too carried away on it, the head tube ovalized on my '02. The '03 and newer have a forged head tube though, hopefully it's a lot better.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Duzitall said:
Did the 321's make a big difference in stiffness? My AC handles pretty good but it feels a little flexy (side to side) down by the chainstay pivot/BB.

Chris
It's the bends in the swingarm that make it flexy. A larger box section would increase stiffness. Because of the flex the bearings at the pivot points give out early and need to be replaced on a somewhat regular basis. It's a very good frame but it does have it's limits.

Charles