Quantcast

2.5" ti spring on a 3" stroke ccdb.Anyone done it?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Well.. I've been running an old 2,5" stroke Manitou Ti spring on my Sunday (3" stroke shock) for years now with zero problems.
it's one of the lightest Ti springs around with less coil winds than many others (way moar than 3" space between coils) so doesn't get anywhere near coil bound on full compression.
I originally fitted it as I was between spring rates (50lb increments) with steel springs (Ti available in 25lb increments)...
it has actually lasted better than steel springs have for me, snapped one fox steel spring and bent another over the years.
I'm not some lightweight rider/weightweenie or a guy who just takes pretty pics of his bike either.

SCARY

Not long enough
Well.. I've been running an old 2,5" stroke Manitou Ti spring on my Sunday (3" stroke shock) for years now with zero problems.
it's one of the lightest Ti springs around with less coil winds than many others (way moar than 3" space between coils) so doesn't get anywhere near coil bound on full compression.
I originally fitted it as I was between spring rates (50lb increments) with steel springs (Ti available in 25lb increments)...
it has actually lasted better than steel springs have for me, snapped one fox steel spring and bent another over the years.
I'm not some lightweight rider/weightweenie or a guy who just takes pretty pics of his bike either.
Sweet! Thanks for the Info

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Look friends, just because there's free length in the spring doesn't mean it was intended to compress that far. At some point you're going to stretch the material. I'm not going to go figure out what that involves with whatever titanium alloy gets used in springs but if it were designed to compress that much, they'd sell them like that. Scary, I know you're a good free market lovin' merkin, so the fact that they don't sell those things as 2.5-3" stroke should tell you something.

Don't go fvck up a 300 dollar spring just because you're too lazy to get a different 300 dollar spring.

Actually, yeah, nevermind. Go do that. And then get it anodized.

Besides, it's Gary. He's probably drunk. Like me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Leaving $150 for beer? WTF do you think? ;)

I'd only had 3 beers when I replied last night woo.. So sissy 'mercan might call that drunk I s'pose..

I do fully realise the spring is not rated to be compressed that further 1/2" so pre-load is out as is running a spring rate low enough that you bottom out excessively.
olde steel spring in my spares box that goes everywhere the bike does since I fitted it.

Last edited: