Quantcast

170-180 travel slackish carbonz frames?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Would like to replace my Norco Truax / Totem with a longer reach CF frame. Coming up empty so far. Capra looks promising but no XL, and the L is too short. Spec enduro expert evo looks OK but no carbon. Scrolled thru the usual brands to refresh my memory after an epic winter of skiing but just see tons of 150ish travel trailderpo bikes.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Non carbon backup plan is xl megatrail when it comes out I guess. But maybe Lg is long enough already. I'm 6' 3". Trying to find Geo chart on their site.

Last edited:

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Non carbon backup plan is xl megatrail when it comes out I guess. But maybe Lg is long enough already. I'm 6' 3". Trying to find Geo chart on their site.
Large would be fine I'd imagine..my buddy got an XL enduro yesterday and it is barley longer than my medium megatrail....

PS: carbon is overrated

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Geometry info is on this page: http://ridegg.com/megatrail.

But, let me know if you're looking for any additional numbers, etc. At 6'3", you're in the recommended range for a Large, but the first XL's are coming out this month. So, if you want something really long, you have that option.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
IME decent carbon frames like the V10 are bomber.

I have a DHR for lift riding but last 2 yrs have been driving to socal once a month (taking one bike w/ me) and the Truax has been good for riding Mammoth on the way there & then riding different trails w/ fireroad access while I'm down there. So basically looking for a longer reach, lighter but still stiff version of the Truax, which probably means carbon. 26 or 27.5, no huge preference either way.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Geometry info is on this page: http://ridegg.com/megatrail.

But, let me know if you're looking for any additional numbers, etc. At 6'3", you're in the recommended range for a Large, but the first XL's are coming out this month. So, if you want something really long, you have that option.
'Geo chart' = geometry numbers. CS, HA, reach and stack, bb drop, etc. I saw the sizing chart but that's not particularly useful. Is there a plan to put a geo chart on the site?

Due to the strong reviews I'm not against the mega, despite being alu and not quite enough travel, but for anyone not familiar w/ the Truax or the new Specialized, those come with and are optimized for a coil shock. That's my preference but I may need to be flexible on that.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Heh.........
figured you'd pick up on that. although kwood has had some pretty good days here and there.

...isn't available as a frameset but I could sell off the meh components I guess. has the 180 travel and approx 65 HA that makes the discontinued Truax work so well (a dying breed of bike from what I've seen). has 18.1 inch reach which should be enough.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
If you can look past the 165mm travel and unrideable vpp, an XL nomad is worth a look.
Bomber cf frame and based on how i fit on an xl @ 6'4 the size will be perfect for you.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I am 6' 1" and the LG MEGA is nice. I am running a 35mm BAR. The XL is gonna be GIANT. That is for the freaks that in the past have gotten custom frames made.

The difference between your DHR and the Mega will only be noticeable on the steeper, rougher terrain that are very long. The bike is very capable.

Last edited:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
If you can look past the 165mm travel and unrideable vpp, an XL nomad is worth a look.
Bomber cf frame and based on how i fit on an xl @ 6'4 the size will be perfect for you.
Agree. I demo'd a vivid / Nomad XL last summer on some lame trails in Bend and the fit was perfect. I'm not anti-TTM-VPP (have managed to make my Bronson work pretty well w/ the Inline and a lot of tuning) but would feel better buying a Nomad if I could try one on chunky goodness w/ a decent coil shock.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Agree. I demo'd a vivid / Nomad XL last summer on some lame trails in Bend and the fit was perfect. I'm not anti-TTM-VPP (have managed to make my Bronson work pretty well w/ the Inline and a lot of tuning) but would feel better buying a Nomad if I could try one on chunky goodness w/ a decent coil shock.
While I have yet to try a coil on mine, the bike loves the gnar.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
'Geo chart' = geometry numbers. CS, HA, reach and stack, bb drop, etc. I saw the sizing chart but that's not particularly useful. Is there a plan to put a geo chart on the site?

Due to the strong reviews I'm not against the mega, despite being alu and not quite enough travel, but for anyone not familiar w/ the Truax or the new Specialized, those come with and are optimized for a coil shock. That's my preference but I may need to be flexible on that.
We are going to add a more traditional geo chart..there have been some requests for it.

But, scroll down past the sizing chart and it lists the details and more geo for Trail Mode and Gravity Mode.

If you're interested in the most coil-like feel on a Megatrail, a Monarch Plus Debonair would be a good fit. Or, DB Air for more fine tuning ability.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Come on down to the Cruz. If you can demo the size Nomad you need from SC, you can borrow my Jade. I work down the street from SC and can show you some good test chunk about a 30 minute ride from here...
I weigh 170 and run a 400# spring, but also have a 450#.

Seriously more stoked on that combo (Nomad+coil) every time I ride it! I know Strava is pretty lame, but I am setting PR's with this bike that are 3-4 years old and previously held by Spesh Enduro.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
figured you'd pick up on that. although kwood has had some pretty good days here and there.

...isn't available as a frameset but I could sell off the meh components I guess. has the 180 travel and approx 65 HA that makes the discontinued Truax work so well (a dying breed of bike from what I've seen). has 18.1 inch reach which should be enough.

I'm happy with mine so far.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Our trails are like the hood. Shit soil, loose and crappy looking bushes and not a damn tree for miles. Did I mention the views sort of suck?

While SC is cool, lush and redwood covered with soil that has more grip than superglue. They typically have more scenic views also. Though they have junkies crashing out near trails and angry hippy hikers to contend with.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yeah if you're going to start (IE forced based on what's made these days) looking at trail bikes, that's definitely a good option. SC uses a real headset too so you can get even moar slakker if you want.

I'd still vote for an enduro evo over that but it's more an "intended purpose" kind of thing.

These look neat too.
http://www.bansheebikes.com/bikes_page/banshee-darkside-mountain-bike/

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
To ensure my sponsorship from GG continues (I give them money and they sponsor me with a bike to ride), I am contractually required to recommend the Megajizz, and I really do think a large would fit you perfectly. However, if you hate puppies and want to go with something else (and have lots of $$$), get the Liteville 601 so you can rock a 29er wheel up front and destroy all of kidwoo's ROX.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Another 165mm Crabon slayer available in an XL (with geo really, really close to the Nomad) is the Devinci Spartan. Not quite as slack, but it's a little lower so a longer fork would yield about the same geo.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
thx for all the suggestions. I'm old and broken so rely on technology to make everything easy. Yep I did check out the Spartan online briefly this week. guess I unfairly rejected it due to lack of slackness. The Darkside reach (17.3" i think) isn't in the 18 inch range I'm looking for (e.g. XL Nomad). Spesh enduro evo uses proprietary yoke attachment I assume?. Looks like the Lg megajizz would fit me so it's on the list to try.

I will try to borrow/demo/steal an XL nomad sometime & throw on one of my coil shocks. I have one left over from my Uzzi VPX daze that has the avy/push MX internals tuned for VPP excitement. If the Nomad/decent coil shock combo is filled with awesomeness that makes ISIS tremble, though, why doesn't SC sell it or demo it w/ coil? A Metric up front at 170 travel would keep the BB around 13.4". hmm.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Wait they have rocks within 75 miles of SC? Like more than 100 feet worth?
Yeah photo nerd, there are like 17 to 20 rocks in SC last time I counted.
100 feet of rocks can tell you lots!

SLO trails still can't hold a rocky finger to Bidwell Park in Chico though...
There is no dirt there, just a few places where the rock has been crushed into a dust layer from bikes cart wheeling.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
german brands are somewhat slow to pick up tnew things and can get all weird but some make good stuff

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
SLO trails still can't hold a rocky finger to Bidwell Park in Chico though...
There is no dirt there, just a few places where the rock has been crushed into a dust layer from bikes cart wheeling.
Haha......I love that lava slab stuff.

It's still not really that rough though.

Especially with cancer curing, erase my mistakes holy holy best thing ever 27.5" wheels.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
If you're looking for a 180mm travel frame with a climb friendly seat angle there just isn't much being produced anymore.

- Last Herb 180
- NS Soda
- Bionicon Edison
- Canyon Torque EX
- Liteville 601
- Specialized Enduro EVO

Most of the above are not available in the US.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
This thread gives me teh sads.

And also explains why I will ride my beloved, virtualmushypoint, probably misaligned 2010 Uzzi until one of us destroys the other.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Thx for the list. I travel semi regularly to CH/DE, so bringing back a frame is maybe possible. I recall that the liteville had a tall BB. I don't know much about Last single pivot bikes.
Yeah it's too high for my tastes. Actually most of those have a geo issue of one kind or another IMHO. I was starting to consider going custom before I bought the EVO.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
It pains me a great deal that no one has pointed out the obvious:

• coil shock compatible (even a 5th element)
• VPP free
• excellent SC/Socal rox clearance
• can easily be long shocked for moar travel
• available in root beer
• manly headtube length
• suspension kinematics designed with loading docks in mind
• cost effective
• kidwoo approved