Quantcast

'13 Turner DHR sizing/ reviews?

fro biker

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
in the sticks
Geared up, ~225lbs or ~100kgs, I run a 500# spring on the fat-shaft (snicker) RC4 (non-kashima). It works juuuuust fine for me. I would be very curious to comparatively test the new stuff to see if the difference in displacement and new design make for a significantly different feel.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I would be very curious to comparatively test the new stuff to see if the difference in displacement and new design make for a significantly different feel.
i too am getting very curious
im seeing vivid coils for +/- 300usd on classifieds and very tempted to try.. when i sell my rc4 itll prob be like $50 or so out of my pocket

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
sorry for the rush but i might pull the trigger today on one of these two
@kidwoo @yd35
thanks
I'd PM Udi if you wanted expert opinion on each shock's suitability for the frame.

My non-expert opinion is that a properly tuned Vivid (M/M according to Woo) and a CCDB are both capable of making your bike ride silky smooth. However, the CCDB is a fiddly bugger with tons of adjustments while the Vivid has just 3 knobs. If you're a fiddler and you know how to properly tune a shock, go CCDB. If you're a suspension numpty and/or you prefer riding over knob touching, get the Vivid. Other things to keep in mind: Vivid is a little lighter and for new shocks, I believe the Vivid MSRP is less. If it were me, I'd go Vivid.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I'd PM Udi if you wanted expert opinion on each shock's suitability for the frame.

My non-expert opinion is that a properly tuned Vivid (M/M according to Woo) and a CCDB are both capable of making your bike ride silky smooth. However, the CCDB is a fiddly bugger with tons of adjustments while the Vivid has just 3 knobs. If you're a fiddler and you know how to properly tune a shock, go CCDB. If you're a suspension numpty and/or you prefer riding over knob touching, get the Vivid. Other things to keep in mind: Vivid is a little lighter and for new shocks, I believe the Vivid MSRP is less. If it were me, I'd go Vivid.

my '11 boxxer r2c2 confused the shit out of me; once i dropped the charger damper in it, i have loved the simplicity... so yeah; i dont like fiddling

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Of course another route is to get your RC4 custom tuned. Udi explained that the DHR has a dual progressive leverage curve which makes it pretty hard to get the shock dialed, so a Push or Vorsprung service may be better than a new shock.

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
Hello!
Latelly my dw dhr started creaking and Im sure that the noise is coming from the link pivots and bearings, so I want to replace then after 2 and a half seasons.

Anyone knows the exacts bearings that this frame uses?

thanks!!

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hello!
Latelly my dw dhr started creaking and Im sure that the noise is coming from the link pivots and bearings, so I want to replace then after 2 and a half seasons.

Anyone knows the exacts bearings that this frame uses?

thanks!!
you can order the rebuild kit from Turner, if you want to make it easy.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
thanks guys, but being from spain ordering them on turner website its one of my lat options.

if someone knows the size of the bearings would be perfect¡

thanks again
The bearings are probably some sort of standard size, without the dust shields. Take one out and bring it to a bearing shop to have them spec it.

Have you taken the dust caps off to look at the bearings? You can pack a lot of grease into them, so I'm surprised that they would become squeaky, unless they ran dry.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
any reach headsets that will fit the 1.5" headtube and 1.125 straight steerer i have?

I want to try out a longer reach before i deem her "too small" then selling her :(

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Works components makes one. I just put one on my v10. For what they cost and how much they actually change, I'd just get a bigger bike.

But only after making absolutely sure I'm not just caught up in internet biking where every retard is just spouting 'get ALL the length!!'

I don't care what the roadie dorks at bike shops say, 6mm is not a different bike.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Don't do it man. Keep her alive.

I just put @Nick's fatty mcphat spring on mine. The titanium spring I had for a bit seems to be bending and rubbing on the reservoir.

Mine feels a little small too after riding the trail bike. But the feeling always disappears after a few trails.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
what kind of new-rad shit should i get for my DHR?

new boingers? was looking at x2 floats for the rear
Probably change out your Zee brakes for XT 4-piston, sell all of your tires and get the new Minion "+" size or something made for wider rims, and while you are at it, make sure you have wider rims, else you are doing that wrong too. If you aren't hanging a bunch of carbon off of it, that is definitely wrong. You definitely need new shocks, every 2 or so years something comes out that is advertised as way way better than what existed before, so you need that at least every couple years.

If I had one though, I'd just make it a reliable coil sprung smasher with custom tunes front and rear. Custom tune=way better than most any other crabon/non-functional upgrade.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'd like to get a 2.7 Maxxis DHR for the front of the DHR, but they are hard to find without paying $120.

My DHR is clean and ready to go for 2018. Should maybe try to find a heavier spring for the Fox 40...

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Probably change out your Zee brakes for XT 4-piston, sell all of your tires and get the new Minion "+" size or something made for wider rims, and while you are at it, make sure you have wider rims, else you are doing that wrong too. If you aren't hanging a bunch of carbon off of it, that is definitely wrong. You definitely need new shocks, every 2 or so years something comes out that is advertised as way way better than what existed before, so you need that at least every couple years.

If I had one though, I'd just make it a reliable coil sprung smasher with custom tunes front and rear. Custom tune=way better than most any other crabon/non-functional upgrade.

I'd like to get a 2.7 Maxxis DHR for the front of the DHR, but they are hard to find without paying $120.

My DHR is clean and ready to go for 2018. Should maybe try to find a heavier spring for the Fox 40...

The only two things I'm thinking of are tad higher front end ( I have easton havoc 35mm Al 9°, 5° UPSWEEP / 20mm RISE paired with nukeproof direct stem Rise: 30 degrees Length: 45mm ).. not sure where to go from there..

and my rear shock.

the vivid coil is stupid smooth on the DHR in the fast and rough (from what i can remember.....fuck winter by the way) but I bottom quite alot on drops, shit cases.. (this is compression clicked almost all the way with a new vivid spring +50pounds)

I am leaning towards air rear. The only reason why I am leaning towards that is because I really hated my Boxxer coil until I dropped in the air cartridge in there. The adjustability with air just makes sense to me

x2 air? CCDB air?

or am i just winter itching hardcore:blah:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@TrumbullHucker

I'd go up 50lbs on the rear spring rate, you might still just be too soft by the sounds. What's your body weight and current rate? If you can get a spring cheap-ish it'd be worth trying first, wouldn't be a huge loss if you end up going air later anyway and it might solve your problem.

To answer your question though, if you end up going air, I'd definitely take the X2 air over the CCDB air. The Fox feels way better. It'd probably be my current pick if I had to run an air shock in my DH bike.

I've been loving higher rise bars lately too, currently on 35mm rise sixc but preferred my old 38mm rise nukeproof. I find 20mm too low with ~63 head angles.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
wouldn't getting an X2 on his DHR involve a bit of swearing and angle grinder action?

I Push'd my DHX2 coil last year and I think I could wheelie drop off a overpass to flat and land on a rhino and not feel harsh bottoming.
Who is the go-to for tuning Vivids?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Good point. Definitely worth trying the firmer spring first in that case.
There were photos floating around of the areas that needed to be modified - maybe @kidwoo posted them. I think that was for the CCDB though? Not sure about the Float X2.

RE: tuning, I'd hit up Steve @ Vorsprung to see if he'd do it, can't think of anyone I'd pick over him, but I'd just try the spring first.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
200 without shins helmet and gloves..

@Udi Does Vorsprung does custom tuning for Vivid coils?

Edit: If I do need a higher # spring, where is a good place to buy?

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
200 without shins helmet and gloves..

@Udi Does Vorsprung does custom tuning for Vivid coils?

Edit: If I do need a higher # spring, where is a good place to buy?
I think I'm running a 475# on my RC4. I'm around 200-210 dressed to schraalp.
I had my shop friend get me a Fox SLS as they come in 25# increments.