TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
*copied and pasted from The Shop forum because no replies after half a month
_________
so ill just immediately start with cliff notes

-riding at mountain creek over the weekend
- noticed my fork was bogging down.. felt fine on the light fast dh trails, but would bottom out very easily on 'steep roller to flat' type downhill... no ramp up what so ever, very linear
-also notice a knocking in my compression side lowers when applying the front brake and rocking the bike back and forth.
-when taking apart the bike i notice my fork sat about 0.5" into its travel with no weight on bike
now here is the video to make things more simple haha
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nniayagdfmn9z4u/20140529_202335.mp4

at first you can see the lateral play in the rod, and then i show you the suction

then i spotted a small crack in a ring

so i rode another 2 days at highland last weekend and dear god it felt terrible..when standing on bike it would go 40-50% sag and the fork would just stay there getting packed down when doing fast small bump trails.. killing my hands and arms lol.. I hope i did not do anymore damage.

contacted SRAM and from the pictures and video they said it seems to be the main seal head. I bought a new seal head and should be arriving in the next couple days.

Ill be contacting my LBS for the '15 charger damper for sure

just wondering what you guys think it might be, or if anyone has had a similar problem

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
I had a 2010 race and it did the same thing that yours in you video, but never gave the problems like bottoming out too easy and I think that It could be that you are loosing oil trough the seal head maybe.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
I had a 2010 race and it did the same thing that yours in you video, but never gave the problems like bottoming out too easy and I think that It could be that you are loosing oil trough the seal head maybe.
it never really bottomed out.. last inch or so is never used.. gets to about halfway and gets dead in the travel and very stiff

oh well.. we will see with the new seal head and go from there

Last edited:

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
it never really bottomed out.. last inch or so is never used.. gets to about halfway and gets dead in the travel and very stiff

oh well.. we will see with the new seal head and go from there
I think that the oil leaking from the cartridge to the lubrication oil made that you couldn´t get full travel, and at the same time, the lack of oil in the damper, made that it had no damping in the first half of the stroke.

new seals+oil should fix that I believe. :thumb:

Last edited: