Quantcast

03 marzocchi monster t rebuild

Zach huitema

Chimp
Apr 19, 2015
hey guys and girls.
So about a month ago I decided to purchase a secondhand Kona stab (06) and rebuild it. This is my first time attempting to rebuild of a bike, and being a dh bike makes it a bit harder.
I'm new to the dh world btw, so beware if I don't make sense.

My problem is, that the bike came with marzocchi monster t forks on it that need attention. I've replaced the seals and oil, but unfortunately cannot find a suitable set of crowns and steerer tube for it.
My question is, do most aftermarket crowns fit on the monster? Or because of its size, does it require purpose built ones.
I've taken measurements and the hole centres on the crowns are 175mm
Any help will be greatly appreciated
Zakk

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
pretty sure the Monster T needs its own crowns cause its a big fork

my .02.. i would have saved my money with the seals and oil and gotten a newer fork for a couple hundred bucks

Zach huitema

Chimp
Apr 19, 2015
pretty sure the Monster T needs its own crowns cause its a big fork

my .02.. i would have saved my money with the seals and oil and gotten a newer fork for a couple hundred bucks
So should I just sell the forks as they are? As I'm fairly tight with money, how much do you think I could get for them? I could keep using them, I just wanted fresh new crowns on it. They still work like a dream, just a little banged in on its visuals.

And what forks do you recommend for a newbie who doesn't really do any downhill riding. It's mainly used for just cruising around the place with light mountain trails thrown in here and there

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The bike you bought is less then ideal for what you want to do with it.
Crowns should be the last of your concerns and would be really hard to come by anyways amd the steerer tube would be an even bigger problem to replace and refit...

Sell the bike as it is and use the money to buy a normal mountainbike suited for light mountain trails.
Preferably with the best drivetrain available for whatever you want to spend.

Give us a ballpark on what you want to spend on a used bike and im sure people will help you find whatever suits you best.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
And what forks do you recommend for a newbie who doesn't really do any downhill riding. It's mainly used for just cruising around the place with light mountain trails thrown in here and there

the monster t was the burliest heaviest most downhill-iest fork... sounds like you bought the wrong type of bike for what you are riding

Zach huitema

Chimp
Apr 19, 2015
The bike you bought is less then ideal for what you want to do with it.
Crowns should be the last of your concerns and would be really hard to come by anyways amd the steerer tube would be an even bigger problem to replace and refit...

Sell the bike as it is and use the money to buy a normal mountainbike suited for light mountain trails.
Preferably with the best drivetrain available for whatever you want to spend.

Give us a ballpark on what you want to spend on a used bike and im sure people will help you find whatever suits you best.
Yes I know it's not the right bike. But I plan to use it for downhill. Only reason I ride it around the town is because I don't have a way of getting to the trails as I have no car.
I do plan taking it to the trails in September when I get my p plates.

And I also already own a normal mountain bike. I just love riding the Kona more. Yes it's not suited for going up hills and what not, but personally it doesn't bother me pedalling my heart out. Like I rode the thing around the city for 10 hours. A bad thought of the bike never crossed my mind.

Back to the matter at hand....
What forks would you suggest to replace the monsters.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Back to the matter at hand....
What forks would you suggest to replace the monsters.
Want to stay with the vintage marzocchi theme, get some of the older italian made models. i dont have much experience with them but they seem to be loved by many. probably not expensive either. I have a 2011 Fox 40 and really have liked it, you can find an older one with the same trimmings for pretty cheap.

Zach huitema

Chimp
Apr 19, 2015
Nah kinda wanting newer more recent models. It was a bit of a mission finding the parts I need for my monsters.
I have looked at getting some fox 40s. They seem to be pretty popular.
Another one I'm looking at is the marzocchi 888, what's your opinions on them

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Nah kinda wanting newer more recent models. It was a bit of a mission finding the parts I need for my monsters.
I have looked at getting some fox 40s. They seem to be pretty popular.
Another one I'm looking at is the marzocchi 888, what's your opinions on them
What is your budget? And what model years are you wanting to get?