Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

The Zerode thread

So the original "Super Clean Gearbox out of NZ" thread was started in '09, when the bike was just a prototype. Since then a lot has changed. Discussion has spilled over into the "which frame have best roll over features for rough terrain" and "Zerode or Jedi?" threads, but I think it's high time for a dedicated new thread; a place for owners to discuss their rides. Build questions, custom modifications, setup tricks, etc.

After lusting after Zerodes for years, I finally got one. I bought a used one off the Canadian rep, and am very very stoked. Coming from a Demo 7 with a 2010 888, I was blown away by the suspension. My favourite hill is Cypress Mountain, and for those that know it, it's pretty rough and steep. The bike just kills it.

Name:  2012-11-11 18.00.36.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  1.53 MB

The bike came nicely built with a customized 888 Evo Ti (VA removed, oil height up), Ti-bolt kit, Saint wheels, Code brakes. I swapped out the bars, grips and pedals (my own Carve brand).

Some things I have planned for the bike include:

- Changing out the rear cog from the 20T it came with to something bigger. Likely a 23T. I am a freerider not a racer. Of course I will have to lengthen the chain accordingly. I've already made one on the waterjet, but the splines are a little tight so I'm going to remake it.

- CNC machining a new front chainring that is Zerode/Saint specific. I plan to eliminate the white spacer ring by making the chainring the right thickness in the tab areas, and also eliminate the female chainring nuts by tapping the chainring directly.

- Swapping the Alfine shifter for a modified x9 shifter.

- Servicing the Alfine gearbox with an ATF dip.

- Plus a few other secret mods I'll share later.

Hope Rob and Zerode have a good luck with the switch of manufacturers.
    One day hopefully we'll see the all-mountain version, and maybe both bikes in carbon.

Really sad about Dodzy.

Anyways, just wanted to share.
    Derailleurs suck.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Sounds cool take some good pictures along the way.
    Down hiller turned bike rider

Don't go bigger than 23tooth or it'll foul on the tensioner. Even 23t is close at static. I run a 23t myself.
    You can swap the white spacer for smaller ally spacers, although one piece would be cool, and maybe stiffer.
    Does your Alfine have the modified bleed nipple?
    I thought I started a post your Zerode thread, but can't find it

Shock settings with a CCDB they work pretty well in Rock filled terrain. The trails we ride are 90% rock so keep that in mind. I went full negative and then went positive. Keep in mind the High Speed will only turn about 1/2 a turn at a time. So that 5 is more like 2.5 full rotations! I am a slow expert/fast sport rider BTW.

+5 HSC

+16 LSC

+6 HSR

+17 LSR

Industry 9 wheels for sale

Quote Originally Posted by no skid marks View Post
    Don't go bigger than 23tooth or it'll foul on the tensioner. Even 23t is close at static. I run a 23t myself.
    You can swap the white spacer for smaller ally spacers, although one piece would be cool, and maybe stiffer.
    Does your Alfine have the modified bleed nipple?
    I thought I started a post your Zerode thread, but can't find it
    Thanks NSM, that's good advice on the cog. I had heard of someone around here using 23T. I was originally planning 22, but then realized that that's only a 10% change, which is less than one gear in the alfine. I rarely get above gear 4 or 5 max.

No I don't have the bleed nipple. That would have been a good mod. My bike is one of the first batch (white) that had been stripped and polished. I think that change came with the anodized versions. I wonder if Rob would sell me the part and I could do the mod.

Zerode Europe has this excellent information on their site:

Q. What are the differences between the new 2012 and 2011 Zerode
    A.The changes are

Lighter rocker.
    Lighter alfine output sprocket.
    Material removed from various parts to save weight.
    Anodized finish instead of powder coat.
    ABS plastic bash guard, lighter and not as fragile as the carbon version.
    Factory fitted 63.5 degree headset angle cups.
    Oil filler/drain hole in Alfine casing for servicing / oil changes.
    Weight savings will be around 600 grams

Q. What size chain ring is needed?
    A. 32 T , all other required sprockets are supplied.

Q. How does the range of the gearbox compare to my standard block?
    A.The 8 Speed Gearbox has 310% range. Very similar to a standard 11/27 block with a 36 tooth front chain ring.

Q.What headset do I need if the bike comes with pre fitted angle cups?
    A.We recommend FSA Orbit IS-2 CC headset as you can buy it without the cups.
    Derailleurs suck.

Hi NSM, did you experiment with chain length to go with that cog? Could I get you to count links for me? Cheers.
    Derailleurs suck.

It'll only fit with the right links. Jockey wheel virtually touching sprocket. I'll go count links for you now though.
    Demo9 Yours looks awesome.

48 outer links.

That's perfect thanks. Stock is 47 with a 21T, so that lines up.
    Derailleurs suck.

Monkey
    as far as the gear ratios on the zerode, can you decrease the size of the chainring at the crank (and?) alfine to gain ground clearance at the chainring? AFAIK the smallest cog that can be run on the alfine is a 16t because of the attachment to the hub prevents anything smaller, but why not go to like a 26-16 and make up for it on the secondary chain? it would be pretty cool to increase the ground clearance for chainring strikes. too much input torque on the alfine? people are running some low ratios on the alfine on fat bikes and such. or perhaps there could be chain clearance issues with the frame? just thinking out loud is all. I have an alfine 8 coming in the mail and it's not for a wheel or a zerode.

what are the tooth counts on the alfine on the zerode, input and output? sounds like 32t at the crank is standard and between 18 and 23t at the rear hub but what is being ran on the alfine itself?

Recommended input ratios for the Alfine are about 2:1, so that would put the torque outside the range.
    32T is the smallest ring that will fit on the Saint cranks.
    Also, I've been finding that it is not the chainring that limits ground clearance, it's the lower shock mount and the carbon shock guard.

At the Alfine it's 16T input and 26T out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer View Post
    I have an alfine 8 coming in the mail and it's not for a wheel or a zerode.
    ???

The .pdf Zerode manual available at http://www.zerodeeurope.com is very helpful and has all the tooth counts.
    Last edited by EVRAC; 11-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    Derailleurs suck.

You could use Profile cranks or similar, but there's no need really.
    The double barrel has better ground clearance than the RC4, you could make a higher shock guard if you had issues with it. For the cost of spare guards, I'd just run the stock ones.

Im running a custom plastic guard. Only gained a hair more clearence but was able to make it way thicker and stronger. Additiomally i got a better impact angle so it slides rather than sticks. Cased the windham wc jump to it so it does hold up. If anybody wants to get one send me a PM can probably get my friend to make another

I want a little lower gearing too. I wanna be able to ride the Zerode up gravel roads when I have to.

So 23T rear works, but you have to add a link?

Any pics? What chain ring are you running on the rear? Pics to see the tension?

I've got a ton of new stock carbon and plastic shock covers if anyone wants one.
    Last edited by Kntr; 11-29-2012 at 07:13 AM.