Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Grasshopper

CCDB service manual anybody ?

Hi mates

I am desperate looking for the CCDB service manual so that I can service the shock by myself. I can not understand why Cane Creek does not supply it

Does anybody have the pdf here ?

Thanks in advance !!

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Monkey
    I'd be interested too. Last I heard was that it needed special tools so non user serviceable but where's there is a will.....

Turbo Monkey
    I have the full service manual (PDF Format).

However, servicing the shock requires a number of specific tools, and I think you're wasting your time unless you're planning on investing in these tools. To give you an idea, you need a special tools to remove the seal head, to remove the inner tube of the shock, to pressurize the shock, etc etc. You will also need to obtain service parts if the shock is leaking and these may not be sold to end users.

Personally I'd advise getting Cane Creek to do it for you.

Grasshopper
    Hi Udi, I guess you need non usual tools, but I have serviced all my forks, shocks for ages, including modifying spv shim stacks and so on, despite oil levels and all these issues, and I am sure I could afford it, despite I would need some diy tool, but fortunately I have access to mill and lathes, so I think it wont be any problem.

Turbo Monkey
    I have emailed you the manual. If anyone else wants it, just PM me your email.

On top of that, it's useful to know the stock oil is Ohlins Shock Absorber Fluid #309. It has a viscosity of 13.70cSt@40. The closest off the shelf oil you can buy to this will be Silkolene Pro RSF 2.5wt (13.60cSt and an incredibly high VI of 464, which is perfect). I would not use anything other than those two products personally.

Stock pressure is 6-7 bar (87-101psi). I'd remove the reservoir endcap first (after depressurising and without compressing the shock at all) so you can measure the stock IFP depth before you start.

Hope that helps
    Udi

FYI, service on CCDB's is now authorized and handled by MTB Suspension Experts right down the road from the Cane Creek factory. Just found this out yesterday from the horses mouth.

So lead times on that stuff should be even better now. The owner Kevin is an awesome guy and knows his stuff.

Just ship it to him and be done with it. And if he works on it, you maintain your warranty.

He handles warranty for most all manufacturers.

www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com
    Make it IDIOT PROOF....and someone will make a better idiot!

I was under the impression that a moto shop that does Ohlins shock servicing could service a CCDB, or am I making stuff up?

Turbo Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by HardtailHack View Post
    I was under the impression that a moto shop that does Ohlins shock servicing could service a CCDB, or am I making stuff up?
    http://ohlinsusa.com/us/index.php?op...article&id=104

looking familiar?
    www.mtbfreeride.tv

Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked
    ridemonkey is pretty much the 4chan of mountain biking

Grasshopper
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi View Post
    I have emailed you the manual. If anyone else wants it, just PM me your email.

On top of that, it's useful to know the stock oil is Ohlins Shock Absorber Fluid #309. It has a viscosity of 13.70cSt@40. The closest off the shelf oil you can buy to this will be Silkolene Pro RSF 2.5wt (13.60cSt and an incredibly high VI of 464, which is perfect). I would not use anything other than those two products personally.

Stock pressure is 6-7 bar (87-101psi). I'd remove the reservoir endcap first (after depressurising and without compressing the shock at all) so you can measure the stock IFP depth before you start.

Hope that helps
    Udi
    Many many thanks again partner!!

Grasshopper
    Quote Originally Posted by bizutch View Post
    FYI, service on CCDB's is now authorized and handled by MTB Suspension Experts right down the road from the Cane Creek factory. Just found this out yesterday from the horses mouth.

So lead times on that stuff should be even better now. The owner Kevin is an awesome guy and knows his stuff.

Just ship it to him and be done with it. And if he works on it, you maintain your warranty.

He handles warranty for most all manufacturers.

www.mtbsuspensionexperts.com

Thank you so much for the info Bizutch!

The thing is I live in Madrid, Spain, and the nearest CCDB service center is Tf-Tuned in UK. TF-Tuned has very good prices for selling, but maintenance is an abuse, 200 for reviewing oil levels, gas pressure and o rings, plus costs of shipping Warranty is two years in Europe, so my first service will probably be out of warranty period, and I think it is worth to get the tools and trying to service the shock by myself.

The only difference compared with other brands (fox, manitou, marzo, etc) is the proprietary Ohlins tools, the rest is exactly the same.

Fyi you can get all tools and replacementes for servicing for about 250$ at
    http://motorsportsspares.com/fsae.html But most of replacements (orings, oil and so on) are no needed to be got from this shop, so probably the price could be 150$ or 200$, clearly worth it.

For these reasons I think it is a good deal to service the CCDB by yourself if you are used to servicing your hardware, and have the appropriate tools, and of course the pdf that gently Udi sent me

I can not understand the Ohlins secrecy about servicing the CCDB. I asked them for the service manual a few times by email, and no response till now. And for instance, FOX provides you all the info but clearly says at the tech center "At your own risk" if you try to repair or service your fork or shock by your self.

Customer satisfaction is the first thing above all, and as a customer, I think when you buy something, you are entitled to get all the information about the item, including the internals of it.

CCDB shock behavior and performance are amazing, but I had no idea about these issues with servicing, and for that, I will never buy anything from this brand again. In my humble opinion as a client this is not acceptable.

In the end, we are talking about a Mtb shock, not a Space Shuttle....

Thank you all for so interesting information !! If I do the service by myself, this forum shall be the first one to see the pics.

See you on the trail!

*Sorry if my English expression is not ok

TF-Tuned has very good prices for selling, but maintenance is an abuse, 200€ for reviewing oil levels, gas pressure and o rings, plus costs of shipping
    Don't know where you have that from, but their website says 99 GBP (~112 EUR at the moment) for a full service.

Service at Stendec in UK is 90 GBP.
    Braking slows you down.

Turbo Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by cheytac View Post
    CCDB shock behavior and performance are amazing, but I had no idea about these issues with servicing, and for that, I will never buy anything from this brand again. In my humble opinion as a client this is not acceptable.
    I think you're being a little harsh, in my opinion CC have excellent customer service, including sending me a brand new shock to get me out of trouble - before I even sent the old one back (and I'm not in the US).

Also, Fox don't actually provide any service manuals for their rear shocks (in terms of servicing the actual damper) to the general public - and it's the same for most brands.

I don't currently own one, but on the basis of support would not hesitate to buy one again.

There are a lot of shortcomings of the CCDB, but the manufacturers support of their product is not one of them.
    "It won't happen again. I can promise you that. Willie here has low blood sugar. That's all."

Turbo Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by cheytac View Post
    Thank you so much for the info Bizutch!

The thing is I live in Madrid, Spain, and the nearest CCDB service center is Tf-Tuned in UK. TF-Tuned has very good prices for selling, but maintenance is an abuse, 200 for reviewing oil levels, gas pressure and o rings, plus costs of shipping Warranty is two years in Europe, so my first service will probably be out of warranty period, and I think it is worth to get the tools and trying to service the shock by myself.

The only difference compared with other brands (fox, manitou, marzo, etc) is the proprietary Ohlins tools, the rest is exactly the same.

Fyi you can get all tools and replacementes for servicing for about 250$ at
    http://motorsportsspares.com/fsae.html But most of replacements (orings, oil and so on) are no needed to be got from this shop, so probably the price could be 150$ or 200$, clearly worth it.

For these reasons I think it is a good deal to service the CCDB by yourself if you are used to servicing your hardware, and have the appropriate tools, and of course the pdf that gently Udi sent me

I can not understand the Ohlins secrecy about servicing the CCDB. I asked them for the service manual a few times by email, and no response till now. And for instance, FOX provides you all the info but clearly says at the tech center "At your own risk" if you try to repair or service your fork or shock by your self.

Customer satisfaction is the first thing above all, and as a customer, I think when you buy something, you are entitled to get all the information about the item, including the internals of it.

In the end, we are talking about a Mtb shock, not a Space Shuttle....

Thank you all for so interesting information !! If I do the service by myself, this forum shall be the first one to see the pics.

See you on the trail!

*Sorry if my English expression is not ok
    rock shox is the only one of the big brands that gives you service manuals for their products as far as i'm informed, fox, marzocchi and manitou don't...
    www.mtbfreeride.tv

Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked
    ridemonkey is pretty much the 4chan of mountain biking

Quote Originally Posted by Hacktastic View Post
    There are a lot of shortcomings of the CCDB, but the manufacturers support of their product is not one of them.
    Would you care to elaborate? The only one I can think of is price.

Sethimus, Manitou at least used to make their service manuals available. Dunno if they still do.