Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    The big S market speak.

Saint HOLLOWTECH II cranks are forged premium Duraluminum to form a light weight, extremely strong crank set.

I know they used this aluminum of their Dur ace cranks. But what type is it? I gather it’s not a 6061 series and most likely 7000 series aluminum.

^And to clarify Shimano's construction: Are their "hollow forged" cranks 2 pieces laser welded together?

Turbo Monkey
    There was a minisite or an article a while back that showed the construction of the Saint crank, I remember it being pretty impressive. Does anyone have the link to that?

This is what they look inside if it helps Lelandjt -

Quote Originally Posted by rpet View Post
    Please let us know if that perpetually-loosening scenario is still happening with the RF.
    Update after a season of using the Race Face SIXC cranks:

My GG colleague, Will, has been using the current Atlas cranks since May, and I've been on the SIXC for the same time period.

Neither have had any issues at all with loosening, creaking, etc. I think their EXI system solved the issues that people used to complain about.

I didn't put any protection on my carbon cranks, other than the boots that are included, and treated them the same as any other DH crank I've ever had. They've taken a number of hits from bouncing rocks, and had a few pedal spikes grinding into them from shuttle rides. I was concerned about two pedal spike gashes, sent pix to Race Face, and they said not to worry. So, from my experience, durability seems to not be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by mtg View Post
    Update after a season of using the Race Face SIXC cranks:

My GG colleague, Will, has been using the current Atlas cranks since May, and I've been on the SIXC for the same time period.

Neither have had any issues at all with loosening, creaking, etc. I think their EXI system solved the issues that people used to complain about.

I didn't put any protection on my carbon cranks, other than the boots that are included, and treated them the same as any other DH crank I've ever had. They've taken a number of hits from bouncing rocks, and had a few pedal spikes grinding into them from shuttle rides. I was concerned about two pedal spike gashes, sent pix to Race Face, and they said not to worry. So, from my experience, durability seems to not be a concern.
    The day after you post this, my friend on FB posts this:

That's on his trailbike, not DH.

And I was really considering the SIXC on my new Trail bike and possibly my next DH.
    Last edited by mattmatt86; 12-13-2012 at 08:44 AM.

That sucks. Did he talk to Race Face about it? They've always been super easy to work with, ime.

I'd expect that to be warrantied. It looks like it was torn apart by pedal torque! I guess my feeling about CF is if it doesn't injure me when it breaks and is quickly warrantied, no problem. I've cracked a couple frames in the last year. I realize other people don't work at shops and are more hassled having to deal with warranties but I have other bikes to ride for those 5 days.

I used to warranty skis every month or so.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 12-13-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Monkey
    I have a trail bike with an 83mm bb(don't ask). I need a crankset for it and would like to spend no more than $200 with bb no rings, new or near new. I prefer new but saw some great deals on pinkbike on some of the high end cranks mentioned elsewhere in the thread. but I'm 80 to 20 on buying new.
    the bike will see real abuse; DH trails, canadian hucking, rock strikes etc. but still needs to pedal up a large hill and for 35 miles at a time sometimes. there are some heavy parts on the bike and I'm trying to save some weight on the rotating stuff. I ran XT's on another bike like it and never bent them. I would run those but can't find a set of the 83mm ones. I am 175lbs and a fairly smooth rider. I am unsure wether to go 170 or 175, I have always ran 175 on a trail bike. someone steer me in the right direction please.

Courtesy of Uncle Cliffy posting this a few times... (Edit: See post #11) I don't know if it works w/ other cranks than what is mentioned, but this might give you some options:

XT triple crank mod for 83mm BB
    Last edited by toowacky; 01-18-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    dig...

Monkey
    I'm aware of that mod but instead of trying to track down a set of the big gear cranks I thought I'd see what other options people recomend instead.
    Last edited by Sonic Reducer; 01-18-2013 at 10:18 PM.

Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Reducer View Post
    I have a trail bike with an 83mm bb(don't ask). I need a crankset for it and would like to spend no more than $200 with bb no rings, new or near new. I prefer new but saw some great deals on pinkbike on some of the high end cranks mentioned elsewhere in the thread. but I'm 80 to 20 on buying new.
    the bike will see real abuse; DH trails, canadian hucking, rock strikes etc. but still needs to pedal up a large hill and for 35 miles at a time sometimes. there are some heavy parts on the bike and I'm trying to save some weight on the rotating stuff. I ran XT's on another bike like it and never bent them. I would run those but can't find a set of the 83mm ones. I am 175lbs and a fairly smooth rider. I am unsure wether to go 170 or 175, I have always ran 175 on a trail bike. someone steer me in the right direction please.
    Well, I'm 6'3" and I run 175s on my AM bike. I like the extra bit of torque I get with them, and with my height I get a pretty good stance. That being said, 175s might be a bit too long if you're less than 6'.

As for what to buy, how about these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=82853 I just bought a set, and to be honest, there kinda a PITA to get set up. But when you do, they're pretty stiff and will take a beating.

^^^ I'd go with the Atlas as well.

Descendant cranks are light, but the lightest crank I would consider using on a DH bike would be the e*thirteen LG1r crank with an XC bb and 2 extra BB spacers to make it wide enough. 760grams, stronger, much stiffer, and more reliable than anything else.

I ran the same set this season, clipping rocks frequently and never had a problem.
    Last edited by altix; 01-19-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by altix View Post
    more reliable than anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

* I've ridden

I've only ever had problems with other cranks.