Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Do you guys not find the falling rate of the shova to be 'odd'? I suppose the air shock would make up for some of that (not a fan personally). That design always felt a little wierd to me.
    No, but it took me a while to figure out what I needed to do air pressure wise. I thought I could set it up soft for downhills and use pro-pedal for the climbs. I was trying to set up the bike like my old FSR bikes and the ole push down on the seat to see if the air pressure was right. I finally equaled my body weight to the PSI in the shock and it was spot on on the trail. Pushing down on the seat, the bike feels stiff, but on the trail, it rides in the sweet spot of its travel, and I have no bottoming issues. I only use the propedal for a paved road climb we do on a local loop. Otherwise, the bike works better with the propedal open. Traction is good on the climbs as well.
    As far as the double barrel on these things, I have ridden one on the Mbuzi, and it suits it great. The only thing you give up to an air shock is weight,
    and you use the adjustments to control bottomout.
    SEI Racing

I'm on a Sinister Gruitr with a Lyric Solo Air up front and a DHX on the rear. It weights some where in the low 30's but should be going a bit of a diet this winter.

Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    Mmmm, slack

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails, numbnuts.

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider View Post

i hate you. :biggrin:
    The forests have ears and the fields have eyes.

early in 2007 i wasn't sure whether i wanted a lyrik-oriented trailbike, so as a temporary, cheap solution i got the Covert frame and put on a coil pike and parts from my other bikes. these days it's running an easton havoc AM wheelset (22.1 mm inner rim width, works well w/ all kinds of tires in my collection) and formula k24 brakes w/ a bigger rotor up front.

13.7 inch BB height with big tires, 17 inch CS, and low center of gravity. super plush and progressive linkage leverage curve.

right out my door are some 3k vert rides with sweet bermed turns and lotsa small rock hits. this bike rails that stuff pretty well and is light enough to make the climb painless.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by frorider; 10-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.

Cool thread Jeremy. My criteria for a trail bike were pretty much exactly the same as yours. I wanted something that had more of a dh bike "feel". I rode a lot of bikes and ended up with one that I'm am super satisfied with - a Commencal Meta 6. The numbers on it are pretty much exactly what I wanted after trial and error on the other bikes I checked out. 66.5* head angle, 13.75" bb height, 16.75" chainstays, etc, - yeah, I'm a numbers nerd Other things I really like are the dropouts that allow for 10mm qr/12mm through-axle/12mm Maxle, adjustable head tube angle, and the contact system. The contact system that they use to control the shock rate really needs to be ridden to fully appreciate it. It one of the major things that makes this bike feel like a little dh bike. Killer grip and a progressive, bottomless feel are the best ways I can describe how it rides. I've truly never ridden anything quite like it. With the exception of the XTR cranks there is really nothing XC light on it (DT5.1 rims on Hadleys, XT brakes, Van36 fork, Sunline V1 bar and stem) and it comes in at a reasonable 32lbs. Here's a recent pic and the only thing different now are a pair of Maxxis Ardent tires.
    Last edited by Dogboy; 10-01-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Not a DH guy, but do love my trailbike.

I'm building up a medium chameleon.

I take pictures. patbranch.me

Turner 6 pack with Avalanche rear shock and 66 ETA (rc2) up front.

Except that I cracked the frame a little while back, Dave Turner turned it into a horst-link RFX. I get the resized avalanche shock back this Friday (Anyone want to buy a new RP23?)
    , although the Turner Demo is on Saturday, so I'm either going to ride a DW 5.5 spot, DW Sultan, or my avalanche-RFX. Win-win-win situation. Future plan is to lower the front end with a new fork, perhaps a fox vanilla 36 or something similer..ideally a coil with travel adjust, but lyric horror storries are scaring me.

I've never been much of a racer XC-type, but I'll say this; If you want to go fast on XC trails or with XC guys, drop the super-heavy kind-of-AM bike and just get a fast HT. I got a 29er, put an ultegra cassette on it, and I haul a$$ on it, I still kind of ride it like a DH bike on the DHs (probably not good for it), but it's way better than trying to ride a 35lb bike and keep up with those guys...not that I try to do this all the time, but if you ever have to ride flatter trails for whatever reason, convenience, after-work training, group/friend ride, etc, it's nice to have something that is kind of full-blown XC, in fact I'd say the diff between it and some XC FS bike isn't really all that great, not like the diff between a full on XC bike and an AM/FR bike. This in terms of weight and ability to ride fast on level/uphill.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jm_; 10-01-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Do you even race bro?

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
    My God Luc, we have exactly the same bike!

Mine's running an XT/R groupset, but we have the same frame, same forks, wheels, finishing off stuff. Mine is size big though...

Monkey
    I've got two trail-ish bikes right now - an sx (supercross) and a gemini - I have 2 set ups for it - pike/ shorter stroke & i2i air shock, and Lyrik 2 step/ coil shock. Don't really need the longer travel for Den area trails, tho.
    I found the answer to making the most of the sx's 4.2" of travel - larger air can and Push! It's now really plush when set to xc psi levels. I do have to add pressure for bmx track / dirt jumping, but it's worth it.
    The gemini has seen more use this summer, only b/c it's been the quieter of the two tho. Got a creak in the sx that is driving me crazy, if I don't find it soon I will be looking for a replacement, which will have to be pretty much the same bike (geo) but quieter (blur 4x?)...
    The gemini climbs tech rocky stuff better b/c of extra clearance, but the sx makes me smile on the descents, all the time...
    Last edited by sbabuser; 10-02-2008 at 12:04 PM.

My mountain bike. I just need a telescoping post for it now (and maybe a bigger cassette + 34t ring), but it still works great for "all-mountain" riding, which for around here equates to suffering for a while, then turning around and descending for the same amount of time. It doesn't climb all that well, but considering it goes down like my Demo did and it's sub 34-pounds I'm really happy with it.

My 28 lb'er

by the looks of this thread, the trail riders have just been waiting to come out of the woodwork.

To that end, here's mine ... actually, I'd show up except the gallery function isn't working.