Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm pretty sure it come from people losing weight after taking laxatives and crapping their brains out. They lose weight and think they cleaned out impacted or old matter from their GI, where they don't understand there is more in their guts than just a two day old turd. There is still all that inprocess food that a healthy person always has passing through their system.
    (\_/)
    (.)
    c()()

The voice of reason binary visions's Avatar
    That's exactly what I'm thinking. Sure, more comes out in a hurry when you do one of these diets, but it's not any more than will eventually come out of a normal, healthy person. You just remove it all at once when you're crapping your brains out five or six times a day.

It's still going to build up again when you resume normal dietary habits. Actually, a couple of the articles I read said a really great benefit of doing this is that it simply interrupts an unhealthy eating cycle, gives you a week or so where you're actually only consuming what your body needs... so the positive effects are partly a mental interruption to an unhealthy cycle.
    You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

My Travel | Costa Rica | Galapagos | Peru | Tanzania: Kilimanjaro & Safari |

Ride a road bike. You do 200 miles a week, and you can eat nothing but bacon by the pound and still lose weight.

There are a lot of fat and strong weightlifters. There are very few fat guys who can do serious road mileage...
    When the lights came up at two, I caught a glimpse of you and your face looked like something Death brought with him in his suitcase.

Loosing weight "quick" while gaining muscle is not a non-trival task. The simple way is to explain that your body needs a certain amount of Calories to maintain itself. Once you go over/under that limit, based on what type of foods you eat will determine what form it gets turned into (fat/muscle). If you search for "Calorie maintenance level" that should point you in the right direction. The next step would be to determine exactly how much muscle and fat you want to change. You should think about your PRO, CARB, FAT breakdown. Most do 40% Protein, 40% Carbs, and 20% fat (just average breakdown) daily intake. So now the key would be to eat more meals per day (4-6) [5-6 encouraged] in smaller amounts. This will speed up your metabolism tremendously and allow your body to receive its "fuel" many times throughout the day. If you start to loose more muscle then fat you just change/adjust your PRO/CARB/FAT intake. This all applies of course only if you have taken in quality foods. Grocery shopping is best and finally avoid eating even the right type of foods at the wrong times of the day. Start off with a higher carb meal in the mourning to jump start your body and end with a slow digesting protein at night to help your body's maintenance in your sleep (ex: cottage cheese). I tried to keep this simple but it can be a difficult task. If you want to stay out of the gym I would recommend some road bike for cardio but to help build the legs/calf area hope on your DH bike if you have one and CLIMB! 1200ft-1500ft are decent climbs per day...
    Mon - Climb
    Tues - Road bike
    Wed - Rest
    Thur - Climb
    Fri - Road bike
    Sat/Sun - ride for fun (dj, xc, dh, road, whatever)

PS- I am not a doctor and I am only offering advice from entering the world of bodybuilding.

Good luck
    -David

Quote Originally Posted by binary visions View Post
    I've always been extremely skeptical of so-called "detox" or cleansing diets. Much/most of the weight you end up losing is water weight and some fat from the fact that you aren't taking in a sufficient number of calories to sustain your body... but that has nothing to do with the cleansing nature of the diet.

Virtually everything I've read about these diets, that was not published directly by the diet places, says the body does just fine cleansing itself and there's not tons of excess crap floating around to get rid of. Changing your eating habits would be as effective as going on a week or two long cleansing diet.

However, I am interested in reading more since the academic resources I have haven't published a whole lot. Got any reading for me?
    well I have been on cleansing diets a number of times...and I usually lose about 10lbs over a month...sorry no articles or anything to provide...just my own results...D
    Latest stupid quote:
    So let me get this straight you're American but left to live in Canada? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by BMXman View Post
    well I have been on cleansing diets a number of times...and I usually lose about 10lbs over a month...sorry no articles or anything to provide...just my own results...D
    Do you return to your normal eating habits after the diet, or do you typically stick to a health kick afterwards?

It'd be hard to test in an informal environment, I'm just wondering if you were eating such that you were sustaining a regular weight, you do one of these diets, then go back to eating the way you were... does any of that weight stay off? Or does it come back quickly?

Run, Forrest, Run! I Are Baboon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FBTMILF View Post
    Well I don't want to add muscle to my arms or chest or anything. I want to gain muscle and tone my legs for racing. I don't want to lift weights but I think what i'll do is like some of you suggested and do a little bit of lifting and more exercise. I know i'll loose the weight quickly because I train everyday for atleast 30 minutes of really hard riding to 2 hours of hard riding.
    You can lift weights until you're blue in the face and you won't gain any muscle if you don't eat enough. You can work your upper body in the weight room without adding a lot of muscle. You muscles will tone and take shape, but won't get very big if you don't feed them.

I've been lifting weights for 10 years and I'd have much bigger muscles if I ate like a bodybuilder. That's not what I want though.
    We don't have that but we can get it for you.

Do you return to your normal eating habits after the diet, or do you typically stick to a health kick afterwards?

It'd be hard to test in an informal environment, I'm just wondering if you were eating such that you were sustaining a regular weight, you do one of these diets, then go back to eating the way you were... does any of that weight stay off? Or does it come back quickly?
    hmm..hard to say..I only ever went on them for the cleansing effect...losing weight was just something that came along with it....I'm a vegetarian so I already eat pretty healthy but at times I felt a bit sluggish and decided to detox....D
    Last edited by BMXman; 04-21-2007 at 12:37 AM.
    Latest stupid quote:
    So let me get this straight you're American but left to live in Canada? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by I Are Baboon View Post
    You can lift weights until you're blue in the face and you won't gain any muscle if you don't eat enough. You can work your upper body in the weight room without adding a lot of muscle. You muscles will tone and take shape, but won't get very big if you don't feed them.

I've been lifting weights for 10 years and I'd have much bigger muscles if I ate like a bodybuilder. That's not what I want though.

Some people just won't bulk up either. I've lifted hard over the last 5 months. I've gotten much stronger but I am the same weight I have always been. I'm sure I traded a bit of fat for muscle but no more than a few lbs.
    (\_/)
    (.)
    c()()

Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Some people just won't bulk up either. I've lifted hard over the last 5 months. I've gotten much stronger but I am the same weight I have always been. I'm sure I traded a bit of fat for muscle but no more than a few lbs.

At different times I've worked out hard for months and months on end. The amount of weight I'm pushing goes way up, but the amount of weight or bulk I actually put on is fairly small. It might be partly dietary since I won't actually start eating six meals a day, but - especially when I'm working out regularly - I'll eat a very solid three meals and snacks during the day.

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation skibunny24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sound Forester View Post
    Hi dear,
    for losing the weight you should try the following tips
    Do exercise regularly
    Running, swimming and jogging
    Control your diet
    Take more boiled vegetables
    Don't take more cholesterol and fatty foods
    Eat citric fruits
    Drink fresh fruits juice
    Take green tea
    and use fish oil.
    For gaining the muscle you should join any best gym, and eat raw foods i.e fruits, vegetables and milk instead of taking the foods supplements.
    FYI, if you boil veggies, all the nutrients come out in the water. Steaming, eating them raw, or cooking them in a healthy oil like coconut oil is best.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkshirtphotos View Post
    Doesn't matter what noise she makes because her eyes are hazel and her skin glows like morning sky. If you haven't already noticed that goes well with the kick dirt in the air grimace expression.

Quote Originally Posted by skibunny24 View Post
    FYI, if you boil veggies, all the nutrients come out in the water. Steaming, eating them raw, or cooking them in a healthy oil like coconut oil is best.
    I suspect the spam bot wasn't interested in your opinions on how best to cook veggies, so I banned him/her/it

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation skibunny24's Avatar
    I suspect the spam bot wasn't interested in your opinions on how best to cook veggies, so I banned him/her/it
    Um, wow oops. Gullible much?! Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkshirtphotos View Post
    Doesn't matter what noise she makes because her eyes are hazel and her skin glows like morning sky. If you haven't already noticed that goes well with the kick dirt in the air grimace expression.

Grasshopper
    Diet and nutrition is probably the most important aspect in losing weight.

If anyone's still interested in losing weight quick and gaining muscle at the same time I would suggest looking into a legitimate CrossFit gym/box in your area. I really enjoy it.

Post removed cuz i was late..
    Last edited by MetalMayhem; 05-18-2012 at 06:22 PM.