Page 317 of 363 FirstFirst ... 307315316317318319327 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,755 of 5436
    toshi, kyoto absolutely rocks...
    japan, its culture, people´s ethic, penchant for mini-skirts and high socks and their heated water-spraying toilets, has given me a new hope in mankind....

am still in tokyo, killing time at narita between flights.... still have like 6 hours before my 12hr flight to houston, then 8hrs more from there to lima...
    Last edited by ALEXIS_DH; 03-31-2012 at 08:19 PM.

I flew a kite today (after mountain biking), and it actually was quite amusing. Same kinetic strain against the lines as when sailing, but with much less cost and hassle. As I found out last year with my RC airplane, Long Island actually has decent wind. We also have cold beaches and cold water. Therefore I may take up kiting as a hobby until D-day (June 2013).

Tonight I'll have to learn about them. So far I've been told that 2 string and 4 string setups exist, with the 4 string seeming conceptually similar to cyclic control on a helicopter's swashplate, and there's a number after the kite's name that seems to indicate the width of the thing in meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    My wife and I are selling our Honda Fit. She drives her Prius, I ride my Versys, and the Fit sits there in our driveway without being driven much at all.

Craigslist ad with all the specifics is here, but the basic info is below: http://longisland.craigslist.org/cto/2933255216.html

- 2008 Honda Fit
    - Under 40k miles on it at the moment
    - Clean title, no liens
    - Ex-CPO car, with 4/48 bumper to bumper and 7/100 (!) powertrain extended warranties that are fully transferable to the buyer
    - Runs well, no CELs or the like

Email me at tjclark@gmail.com or call me at (206) 303-8895 if you are in the NYC area or LI and want to see it.

Ugh. I hate selling cars. Craiglist lowballers and scammers abound. We have two people out there potentially interested, but unless one of them bites by this weekend then I'm going to shop the car to Carmax this Sunday. If Carmax lowballs as well then off to eBay Motors as the next step...

I flew a kite today (after mountain biking), and it actually was quite amusing. Same kinetic strain against the lines as when sailing, but with much less cost and hassle. As I found out last year with my RC airplane, Long Island actually has decent wind. We also have cold beaches and cold water. Therefore I may take up kiting as a hobby until D-day (June 2013).

Tonight I'll have to learn about them. So far I've been told that 2 string and 4 string setups exist, with the 4 string seeming conceptually similar to cyclic control on a helicopter's swashplate, and there's a number after the kite's name that seems to indicate the width of the thing in meters.

Woah! Did you find some recumbent electric full suspension bike?
    (\_/)
    (°.°)
    c(”)(”)

Heh. I have a hardtail 29er these days, actually. Cheap and dirty, it is.

Fool: Be proud of me, as I've cured myself of my Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX 570 lust.

Environmental idealism doesn't motivate me any more, nor does materialistic cock-swinging, and my fevered desire to cherish and preserve engineering for engineering's sake (as evidenced by the products of the Tahara plant) seems silly and irrational in the harsh light of day.

I do have a better idea of what I don't want now, at least. I don't want ohio's BRD Redshift electric supermoto because I loathe wind noise. I don't want a BMW K 1600 GT because it's heavy and expensive, wouldn't aid my commute, and I'd frankly rather be in a car with my wife for road trips. I don't want a 4x4 because I'd either be scared to scratch it up if it were nice enough to commute in (Land Cruiser) or would loathe its driving dynamics and noise if it were rugged and ragged (Wrangler). Furthermore, I don't want anything in between these admittedly extreme examples, for reasons similarly intermediate.

I'm not even sure if I like driving or riding for it's own sake any more, although may just be an overreaction to the Long Island schmucks who menace me with their inattention and negligence while I'm on my motorcycle every day. If it's really true that I've lost my passion for twisty backroads and autocross, though, then I just need to let my spendthrift side take charge: I'd sell the Versys once in Seattle or before leaving here in 2013 and then would proceed to be a hermit scooting around town on the electric bike... again. (As always, the wife would be outfitted with whatever she wanted, within reason.)

I probably do still have the twisty-road flame burning within me somewhere, merely suppressed by traffic and the swerves of texting teenagers. How to scratch that itch, then, given that I'm too tall of torso to rock a Miata, not enough of a prick to drive an old 993 era Porsche, too non-white to fall for the Mustang, and too rational to consider anything modern that hails from Deutschland? Subaru BRZ? Perhaps.

Back to square one, yet again. (Good thing I enjoy over-thinking things/thinking things over, since I seem to do it a hell of a lot. )

I loathe driving in Seattle, or any city for that matter. A friend who was recently buying his first new car asked me for recommendations. I suggested whatever car he was most comfortable with sitting at a stoplight. I miss my winding country roads back in Virginia. I don't see much point driving anything other than a driving appliance if you are living in a city.
    (\_/)
    (°.°)
    c(”)(”)

I think I'm precociously having my midlife crisis early. My personal and professional lives are in order and I'm searching for deeper meaning.

If Jessica and I do manage to have a kid then all my petty concerns about listlessness will fly out the window, but until that happens I'm on autopilot through 2013, which is a weird, weird feeling for someone who has always been self-motivated.

I think the best thing for me to do, once back in Seattle, would be to dive back into sailing, biking, and skiing--all the things I can't easily do here, in other words. Since I really won't need a car for that year, in all honesty* then I might as well save up that money** and spend it on some flash new skis, a modern all-mountain bike, and a season's pass to Alpental or the like.

Time to read about bikes, I guess, for the first time in years (if one doesn't count my skimming-the-bottom-of-the-market 29er purchase a year or two ago).

* commute to UW will be via electric bike or two buses. I don't intend to drive (and pay $15 to park) ever.

** I'll put the max contribution in each of our IRAs, will take full advantage of the UW staff 5% 403b match, will pay down the student loans a bit, and will pay off the Prius, but will still have money to play with after that: not having real transportation costs for me plus not having rent (!) will be awesome.

Time to read about bikes, I guess
    My local riding buddy offered up the Ibis Mojo HD as an off-the-cuff suggestion, and it does look like it'd do it. The geometry even looks ok for me on paper: medium and large frames only differ by 0.1" in standover clearance (which will be poor for me in any case with my short-ass legs), so I could choose whichever top tube length felt better without a real drawback. What's more, I know of at least one local dealer so there'd be support.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/mojo_hd/

Coolness. Getting a nice bike and getting back into that scene seems much more sane than, say, getting a dual-sport and having to trek hours out of Seattle just to find some dirt. (That'd be about as stupid as me buying a Wrangler and then having to look for trails to make it worthwhile.)

Carbon seems awfully expensive, from Ibis and from everyone else, too. Since I plan on entering approximately 0 races, and I'm already slow on the climbs, why bother?

Below is a saner, non-carbon bike of otherwise outwardly similar intent. $3300. I could live with that a hell of a lot easier than the Ibis's $5k+ pricetag. The proof will be in the pudding, taking bikes out on demo days, but it's good to know that not all bikes are as expensive as motorcycles.

Specialized Enduro Comp: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

2 x 10 with a chainguide and 6" of air travel sounds like it'd be the hot ticket. Amusingly enough, I kind of went down this route years ago, with my old Intense Uzzi SLX. Of course, that one had a Super T up front to try to slack out the tall-trailbike geometry, and generally felt leaden. I hope the modern bikes don't have the same issues: the SC Nomad I rented last fall in Seattle felt better...

The new Enduro is nice (whatever the build) and the geometry is dialed. Try it, you'll like it.

I think the best thing for me to do, once back in Seattle, would be to dive back into sailing, biking, and skiing--all the things I can't easily do here, in other words. Since I really won't need a car for that year, in all honesty* then I might as well save up that money** and spend it on some flash new skis, a modern all-mountain bike, and a season's pass to Alpental or the like.

Time to read about bikes, I guess, for the first time in years (if one doesn't count my skimming-the-bottom-of-the-market 29er purchase a year or two ago).

* commute to UW will be via electric bike or two buses. I don't intend to drive (and pay $15 to park) ever.

** I'll put the max contribution in each of our IRAs, will take full advantage of the UW staff 5% 403b match, will pay down the student loans a bit, and will pay off the Prius, but will still have money to play with after that: not having real transportation costs for me plus not having rent (!) will be awesome.
    Don't think I could handle the commute if I didn't have the single bus or the direct Burke Gillman route. Unfortunately the bike commuting has suffered due to a flare up of quadriceps tendonitis and psoriatic arthritis. Been trying to see some of your future associates in the rheumatology department but they will not see me because according to my blood tests I do not have arthritis. Which is good news as I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis four years ago, glad I have been cured. Just need to find someone who can treat my chronic pain and inflammation.
    (\_/)
    (°.°)
    c(”)(”)

That's ridiculous that they won't see you: psoriatic is one of the seronegative arthritides by its definition. Your primary care doc should be putting up much more of a fight to get you in.

For those interested in reading me prattle on about cars at the NY auto show, I wrote a metric ****-ton just now and posted it on Google+:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11547941...ts/6mobHUQKxZa