Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    would be nice re live up my old norco 2002 dh team. it has 1/8 ht and super high BB

the vp-free makes a good starter dh bike, built up one for my GF with a short shock, offset bushings and its setup pretty nicely. You can build it pretty light too. If she rode it more Id probably get an angleset for it

al-irl, interesting. What year? How much angle did you got with offset? 1 degree? any shock? I wondered if new shock would be overkill. I might start new thread about that later.
    Ride for your life

Offset bushes in my old ironhorse mkIII def. made a difference, much more stable down rocky/rooty descents.

As far as DH bikes..
    GT Fury? Mongoose Boot'r/Pinn'r? Pre-Sam Hill Demos?
    Last edited by captainspauldin; 02-18-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IH8Rice View Post
    which would still be sufficient for 99% of the riders out there..unless of course the original HT angle was like 67*+
    To be honest if you can get away with a 65-66deg ha bike you don't need a dh bike in most cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomasis View Post
    al-irl, interesting. What year? How much angle did you got with offset? 1 degree? any shock? I wondered if new shock would be overkill. I might start new thread about that later.
    Cant remember what year it is but its the last generation vp free with the 1.5 headtube, i put in a 8.5x 2.5 shock into it. I put in 2mm offset at both ends which made it shorter by a good bit. If i remember correctly it dropped the bb about 1.5" in total which slackens it by close to 2 degrees. Its over a year ago since I did it but it certainly made for a nice bike for a beginners dh and was built quite light and quite affordably. When i first built it with a crossmax xl front wheel i had sitting round it came in at 32-33lbs

thats it before the short shock

sorry no after pic, she noticed a big difference from the short shock and offset bushes. Its way too small for me to test ride it

Chimp
    Running my O.G. Sunday with an RC4, Funktion flat crowns and a 1.5 degree VP varialset.

So money. I'm sure there are better bikes out there, but the performance you get for the $$ is going to be really hard to beat.

Straight-up shred.

Quote Originally Posted by captainspauldin View Post
    Offset bushes in my old ironhorse mkIII def. made a difference, much more stable down rocky/rooty descents.

As far as DH bikes..
    GT Fury? Mongoose Boot'r/Pinn'r? Pre-Sam Hill Demos?
    This is an interesting idea- the old demo would need a shock that could
    Keep you up in the travel a bit, but with the massive top tube, 64ha and a 14.5" bb it could be a great candidate for short-shocking

older intenses might work. woody had a 6.6 for a while that was all awkward and gangly. The large size was huge for him, but with cups and a shorter shock/offset reducers it may have worked better. It also might cut some of the S into a C as far as axle path, which might help it pedal less gay.

This thread and Sandwich's Piggy have me intrigued to start my own "project bike" with an older frame and cheaper and reliable parts. I think I'm over my "keeping up with the Joneses" phase of bikes, especially DH.

my pig is pretty good, but it's a little tall. I've got my 64* HA, but my BB sits at 14.5". I already have -2 reducer cups and -1.8mm offset reducers (maximum of 0.9mm on an avalanche). I am running 2.7" tires though. We'll see what the final result is, but I was a tad disappointed to not hit somewhere around 14.1. Must have had like a 15.5" bb originally.

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dickinson CrabJoe StretchPants's Avatar
    With any luck, anything in this thread.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19...-neone-256727/

Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter View Post
    My Intense M1s have come alive with their new angles
    Can you tell me more? What did you do? Angle headset and bushings? How did you avoid tire buzzing on the frame (unless you have a large)?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    older intenses might work. woody had a 6.6 for a while that was all awkward and gangly. The large size was huge for him, but with cups and a shorter shock/offset reducers it may have worked better. It also might cut some of the S into a C as far as axle path, which might help it pedal less gay.
    As much as I love Intense and as cheap as you can get used 6.6 frames, this bike is not really worth your time. The swingarm is a wet noodle (and that comes from a guy that doesn't mind a little flex in a frame).

no help from a bolt through axle?