Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chimp

The Bakery: Wear a F*cking Helmet, You F*cktard!

It is shocking to me that anyone would ride without a helmet; death is one thing, but becoming a drooling burden on your family when you could have taken a step to prevent it is deplorable.

The Bakery: Wear a F*cking Helmet, You F*cktard!

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Grasshopper
    Yes! This times 100, YES.

I too would be dead if it were not for wearing a helmet. It blows me away when I see someone riding along with their helmet hanging from their bars...WTF, are you afraid to have helmet hair or just really stupid? Then there are the people who ride at night, with no lights, in black with just a toque on...I guess we have to control our population somehow...ugh...

Grasshopper
    After 40 years of enduring this drivel as a motorcyclist I get to be subjected to it all over again. Yippee! It's not the subject that's offensive. It's the ceaseless grandstanding.

Grasshopper
    Nice language. Go wash your mouth out with soap.

Grasshopper
    +1000

Been riding since the age of five and in my teens I had two experiences where due to a mechanical failure on my bike I smashed my head on to pavement. What some peopel fail to understand is that its often not up to you, **** happens. Two cracked helmets is quite a bit cheaper than hospital bills.

Maybe she meant to say bunny.
    "Rotting belly button smells funny."

- Me

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    if you don't wanna wear a helmet on a motorcycle, that's your choice. but it should be the legal medical equivalent of wearing a DNR tag.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

bicycle in airplane hangar Pesqueeb's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked View Post
    if you don't wanna wear a helmet on a motorcycle, that's your choice. but it should be the legal medical equivalent of wearing a DNR tag.

A helmet has saved my life on both a motorcycle and a bicycle. If you don't want to wear one, fine, but if you don't, you get left in the ditch with the rest of the roadkill so that others don't wind up paying for your end-of-life care.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Pesqueeb is a hippie trapped in jesus-land.
    www.ninerbikes.com

Grasshopper
    I thinks she needs to get laid more than anything....we live in america, is called "freedom of Choice. Wearing a helmet is just like smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or eating crappy food...we know the consequences.....I wished I knew where you lived so I can ride my bike without a helmet. smoking a cigar, drinking Double Jack IPA and eating GMO food.....I love America!!!!

Wear the damn helmet so that I don't have to ride in the back of the ambulance at code 3 trying to keep you alive long enough to get to the air ambulance or trauma center.
    "Duct Tape can't fix stupid, but it sure muffles the noise."

In Holland sticking my finger in a dike...
    16 million people in Holland ride a lot of bikes and dont wear a helmet... Maybe it has something to do with infrastructure? Or maybe we are 16million retards?? Denmark seems to be doing well in these numbers. Maybe bikepaths are the way to go in the future?

Anyways, Why are 4 people with a postcount below 3 commenting on this "news"?
    Last edited by Kevin; 02-17-2013 at 02:43 AM.
    Think.
    Its not illegal yet.

Kevin, what you fail to provide are the head injury statistics for bicycle riders in Holland. I have learned from personal experience that a mechanical can lead to severe head injury. Helmets make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    16 million people in Holland ride a lot of bikes and dont wear a helmet... Maybe it has something to do with infrastructure?
    This. Infrastructure is key. Being on a separated bike path is worlds different from mixing it up with bicycle-unfriendly traffic on a road not designed for anything but cars, if that.

Grasshopper
    So yesterday out at a local trail, a small group of us were about to head out on a ride. We saw this guy walking his bike towards town on the dirt road. Something seemed a bit off. One person in our group asked if he was okay. The guy said, and I quote, "I don't know". It stopped all of us in our tracks. We circled back to the guy and asked questions. He showed us his helmet that was broken, horribly broken. He asked us what day it was. Where he was. We would tell him it was Sunday, and then a minute later he'd ask again, "What day is it?" He couldn't remember much. He had no phone. No ID. Nothing. We asked him if he knew his mom's name and number. Luckily he remembered that. Our friends called her, poor mom got quite a scare. Our friends took him to the ER and waited with him for his mom. He started to remember some things.... All I know is if he didn't have a helmet I think that we would of found a body... Please wear a helmet out there. Let others know where you are going to ride. Bring a cell phone or at least an ID and Emergency Contact info. And one last request, when you see someone out there, talk to them, smile, ask how there day is going. You never know, you might just rescue someone.

Grasshopper
    God Bless America! "Home of the free and land of the brave." As much as I agree that riding without a helmet is STOOOOPID, I resent the idea that we have to make people wear helmets, or that we are responsible for their bad choices.

E.g. "eric strt6"'s comment "Wear the damn helmet so that I don't have to ride in the back of the ambulance at code 3 trying to keep you alive....."

...you don't "have" to keep any injured person alive. Assuming you are a first responder, eric strt6: (a) thank you, and (b) you choose that as your employment. Seems to me that dealing with the consequences of idiots is a LARGE part of the duties of a first-responder that isn't going away no matter how many laws we pass.

Obviously the question is a bit stickier when we are talking about children. I used to skip the helmet for a quick test run after tuning the bike or short jaunt to a friend's house. Then I had a kid. Very hypocritical to tell him he had to wear a helmet when he saw me without one at times. Now I always have a lid (as does everyone in the family).

The other problem with the move from training/awareness-raising to legislation is that it amplifies unintended consequences, it would seem. For example, several studies have shown that when there is increased pressure to wear a biking helmet, less bike riding may occur. Maybe not for the "real" riders that frequent this type of site, but the occasional or 'possible' rider. When that occurs, it means more cars and less exercise, both of which can cause bad things such as automobile accidents, pollution and health issues.

E.g. http://www.newscientist.com/article/...than-good.html

Yes, wear your F*cking helmet and train your kids to know that going sans helmet doesn't make you cool, it makes you a proven idiot. But hold off on using government to force your beliefs on others except when absolutely necessary. It may save civil society and it may not be as costly as you claim.
    Last edited by DeronDilger; 03-16-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Correct spelling errors (probably due to head injuries incurred in several helmet-destroying wrecks.).