Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Turbo Monkey jacksonpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    6,765
    Rep Power
    6

    learn me about chain guides

    Thinking about going 1x9 on my yeti and would need a chain guide. I'd probably switch out my 22/34/bash for a single ring, something like a 26/bash. After looking at guides briefly online, seems some use pullies/rollers at both the top and bottom of the chain ring, some only on the bottom, some run the chain through a "channel" (similar to a derailleur) to hold/guide the chain...

    Pros and cons to them all? Reliability? Ease of setup? Is chain drag ever an issue?

  2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
  3. #2
    My name is Nick Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    6,137
    Rep Power
    11
    All/most of the current batch of guides work well, but the issue you might run into is trying to get a good setup with that small of a chainring.

  4. #3
    Turbo Monkey Jim Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    the middle east of NY
    Posts
    5,806
    Rep Power
    8
    Agreed, usually the minimum chain ring is 32. I'd also run a non ramped chain ring up front. I still run a 'classic' E-13 32 Special on my trail bike.

  5. #4
    Turbo Monkey jacksonpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    6,765
    Rep Power
    6
    Well crap. Any suggestions for a better way to go 1x9 with a smaller chainring?

  6. #5
    Turbo Monkey Jim Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    the middle east of NY
    Posts
    5,806
    Rep Power
    8
    Not to be dense, but why would you go 26 up front?

  7. #6
    I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail! IH8Rice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Im over here now
    Posts
    23,210
    Rep Power
    12
    the quasi-new MRP Micro will work with a 28-32t ring

    http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/micro/
    Originally Posted by Sandwich
    i schralped bus stop with a rear flat faster than jonkranked does it on his pretty expresso

  8. #7
    Monkey JustMtnB44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    608
    Rep Power
    4
    E13 XCX works pretty well at keeping the chain on, and does not have a lower pulley so no extra drag to worry about. MRP Lopes SL takes the same concept but adds a lower pulley for extra chain retention, similar to the Micro posted above but without the taco bash guard. Definitely use a non ramped chainring up front.

    I've been using an XCX on my Spitfire, but sometimes the suspension action causes the chain to get stuck on the ISCG tabs, so I bought a Lopes SL guide to replace it (although I haven't actually installed it yet).

    I don't know how or why you would run a 26T up front. It's best to have the chain ring in the middle ring position for good chain line, but most cranks won't fit less than a 30 or 32 due to the bolt circle. You could buy a new SS crank though to make this work. With only a 26T, you will spin out very easily on any slight downhill grade, and will probably find that gets annoying very quickly. Honestly, if you think that you need less than a 30T ring up front, then maybe 1x9 isn't for you.

  9. #8
    Turbo Monkey jacksonpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    6,765
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
    Not to be dense, but why would you go 26 up front?
    As opposed to what? A 32? Just to keep the bike more fun for climbing.

  10. #9
    Turbo Monkey jacksonpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    6,765
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44 View Post
    E13 XCX works pretty well at keeping the chain on, and does not have a lower pulley so no extra drag to worry about. MRP Lopes SL takes the same concept but adds a lower pulley for extra chain retention, similar to the Micro posted above but without the taco bash guard. Definitely use a non ramped chainring up front.

    I've been using an XCX on my Spitfire, but sometimes the suspension action causes the chain to get stuck on the ISCG tabs, so I bought a Lopes SL guide to replace it (although I haven't actually installed it yet).

    I don't know how or why you would run a 26T up front. It's best to have the chain ring in the middle ring position for good chain line, but most cranks won't fit less than a 30 or 32 due to the bolt circle. You could buy a new SS crank though to make this work. With only a 26T, you will spin out very easily on any slight downhill grade, and will probably find that gets annoying very quickly. Honestly, if you think that you need less than a 30T ring up front, then maybe 1x9 isn't for you.
    Why wouldn't 1x9 be for me? I don't pedal on downhill sections, so that's not a concern for me. I rarely use my middle ring, and never on my home trails where I ride 90% of the time.

  11. #10
    My name is Nick Nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Golden, CO
    Posts
    6,137
    Rep Power
    11
    Another solution here would be a 9-sp cassette with a 36t or 38t granny gear.
    You could run a front 32t with the guide of your choice and still spin up your steeper climbs.

  12. #11
    Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    alcoholics unanimous
    Posts
    34,648
    Rep Power
    21
    jackson, the problem with doing 1x9, as stated previously, with a chainring smaller than 32t is that it forces you to mount on the granny tabs, which will cause shifting issues on the bottom portion of your cassette; the chainring is biased towards the top of the gearing, and not centered. Centered is what you need when running 1x9. which on a set of triple cranks means mid ring position, and is limited to 32t. [edit] the tooth size is limited by the bcd of these tabs. i think there's a guy that makes like a 30t ring that will fit, but its something like $100. [/edit]

    fwiw on my trail bike i run a 32t ring in combination with a 12-36 cassette. It gives me enough range for all but the steepest/longest of climbs.
    Last edited by jonKranked; 02-11-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

  13. #12
    Patches O'Houlihan kazlx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Orange, Ca
    Posts
    3,656
    Rep Power
    7
    No idea what your terrain is like, but riding a 1x9 has gotten me in better shape. It forces you to muscle instead of spin. Like mentioned above, you are really limited to a 32 up front to keep the chain line correct. I run a 32x34 and works well for pretty much everything.

  14. #13
    Turbo Monkey kickstand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fenton, MI
    Posts
    1,859
    Rep Power
    3
    33tx11-34 here. Love it, would have gone 34t but didn't have one laying around.

  15. #14
    Turbo Monkey jacksonpt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Vestal, NY
    Posts
    6,765
    Rep Power
    6
    I could probably do a 32 up front with a different cassette... that might be an option.

  16. #15
    Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    alcoholics unanimous
    Posts
    34,648
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonpt View Post
    I could probably do a 32 up front with a different cassette... that might be an option.
    hey jackson, i *think* i have another 12-36 cassette in the parts bin. If you're interested shoot me a PM and I'll take a look.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •