Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    http://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=1...000&search=zee

I see Zee at 119€ a piece here.

Magura

After spending 3 years on Elixir CR's and a year on Juicy 7's, I switched to SLX brakes on my DH bike. The SLX's are better in every way. I was surprised at how good they were for DH, especially for the price.

Chimp
    Sorry, I mean for a pair the prices.

Chimp
    For the finned pads: I can't believe that they can make miracle. If the caliper heats up, it won't dissipate heat faster. In use I can't imagine it dissipates heat sensibly faster, before the caliper heats up, and the fluid starts "boiling".

I think the idea is that the heat moves into the sink/radiator before it moves into the piston and then into the fluid. The concepts in ice tech seem to marry well depending on what pads you're using. I think resin pads keep more heat in the rotor, and metallic pads transfer more heat to the caliper. So, the alloy sandwich rotor doesn't inherently make sense with the metal pads, and I can't imagine the resin pads transfer a huge amount of heat to the radiator.

Still, none of this matters if you aren't really heating up the pad. I've heated up hope dh04 pads to the point that they deglaze themselves from the backing and fall off. Those were terrible brakes, and these are supposedly actually designed by an engineer using "sciency ****", so the whole "dissipating heat" thing isn't quite as necessary as it would be on a garbage brake.

Can I use avid rotors with the slx/xt's? I have 200 and 180mm rotors

^ Have done that. Yah. As long as you have the right caliper adapters. Youre good.

What kind of adapters would I need?

I was running Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors in 203/185 with my XT 785 brakes. Shimano 203mm post mount adapter in the front, Avid 185 IS mount rear.

I had the Avid rotors and adapter, but needed a post mount adapter for the fork, so I bought Shimano. It all worked together just fine.

My new rear wheel was built on a Saint hub, so I'm now running a cheap Shimano SLX 180mm centerlock rotor with the same Avid adapter. Works fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by amishmatt View Post
    I was running Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors in 203/185 with my XT 785 brakes. Shimano 203mm post mount adapter in the front, Avid 185 IS mount rear.....
    Thanks, I had these types of questions, too. SLX (Shimano) seems inexpensive unless you've only run Avid and then would need to factor in rotors/adapters... but sounds like there are some scenarios that will work.
    dig...

I'll be running hayes rotors, as they're $15 from pricepoint. I just don't have my brakes yet, as they're backordered....

I came off some M810 Saints (which never seemed thaaat solid feeling, even after a bleed by a friggin' ASE Certified Mech.) and used M666 SLX front (non-finned metallic pads) and M785 XT rear (finned metallic pads) with 8" rotors (Fe front, Ice-Tech rear) on my DH bike this past summer on a tour of B.C. resorts and Mammoth. I never experienced fade and the brakes worked out fine for me, felt better overall than the old Saints. I really like the feel/actuation of the new levers on the current Shimano brakes.

That being said, I recently bought the new M820 Saints to see what the fuss was all about. It was probably a waste of money, even at the deal I got them at. At least they'll get me lots of cred. with the random bros in the chair lift line, though.

Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by trap121 View Post
    Can I use avid rotors with the slx/xt's? I have 200 and 180mm rotors
    for the new (hs1/hsx) 200mm rotor (not 203) you will need this: http://www.jensonusa.com/Avid-CPS-Mounting-Bracket-40mm

Wow- thanks everyone for the input! It's what I was hoping to hear, so I'm gonna give some SLX a shot. Unfortunately, I will still look like a hoser in the lift line in this scenario, but I will be a content hoser. Sandwich, thanks for pointing out the difference between oem/shamano packaged stuff. That factored into me not buying them off off eBay. Getting a fair deal from a buddy at a shop, especially since I won't have to pay tax or shipping... Or wait for them!
    I gotta admit, I'm pretty excited to get a brand new pair of shimano brakes after how awesome my old saints have been. I'll try to update this after I've had some time on the on my dh rig, for posterity

Chimp
    First I want to apologize for posting it here but it's kind of urgent
    I do not want to hijack this thread but I've got a problem with my M820 brake lever.
    I did bleed my brakes with the yellow plastic block first .The feel I wanted was not firm enough so I put the red plastic between the pads and inject some fluid inside.
    The front one feels perfect now but my rear brake leaks from the side hole on the lever body .I mean I took out all the air and screwed the top screw and after that injected a bit more fluid into the system and the brake started leaking from this golden tap on the side ;(((
    The brake works just fine but I want a bit more firm feel.
    What do you guys think ?
    If you put your finger on the side(this golden tap or what ever colour is on your XTR,XT,SLX) and squeeze the lever few times can you feel a pressure building up there ?
    Cheers guys