Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Equal prize money for men and women

http://www.vitalmtb.com/news/press-r...-and-Women,697

discuss.

I used to wake up early to watch the women, but I can't be the only one that thinks this is a bad call can I?

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Monkey
    Geeze, they can already cook and clean and make babies. Is all this push for equal pay really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    Geeze, they can already cook and clean and make babies. Is all this push for equal pay really necessary?
    Yeah, bad call.
    God forbid we attempt to make the sport more appealing to 51% of the worlds population.

Maybe make prize money equal for the top 3 but have a payout down to 10th place for men and only 5th for women. The number competing is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice View Post
    Yeah, bad call.
    God forbid we attempt to make the sport more appealing to 51% of the worlds population.
    That sounds all fine and dandy. Except that there is still only 1 woman for every 100 men or so that would have any interest in DH regardless.

It's a terrible call. The sport is already short on funding and still in developmental stages. By and far the majority of people who will ever be interested in the sport will be men. That's not just taking away from Johnny to please Joey, it's taking away from Johnny, Joey, John, Jon, Jeff, Jeffrey, Jason, Jayson, Jay, Juan, Jose, Jordan, Jake, Jupiter, Jiggy Jiggy, and J-bop to please Jenny. Sometimes. When she feels like showing up.

I'm all for women in DH and there being appropriate prize money, but given the depth of the field and the constituents of the sport, that's a gross mis-allocation of funds.
    "It won't happen again. I can promise you that. Willie here has low blood sugar. That's all."

I think this is great and hopefully it pushes more women to race, but it is really frustrating at local and regional level races when for the pro men who train hard and fight week in and week out to get on the podium and the ladies class attracts 3 girls and everybody who enters gets to share the purse. If for some act of god I were ever at a race that had a larger Women's Pro class I would not even raise an eyebrow if their purse was bigger than the men.

I know this is different at the world cup stage. I am not saying at all that its easy for the ladies at a world cup level to get onto the podium and at that level they deserve every bit as much as the men

I think it's a good investment in the sports future, there's a lot of female talent we never see because the purses are too small to generate interest.
    "midget sex should smell like bacon and secret shame" Derp McDerp

All other considerations aside -- 97 Men show up and entry fees support the prize/purse, and moreso - the races themselves; 3 women show up, they are NOT due 50% of the prize resources when they're 3% of the funding.

Would men be willing to concede more to attract more women? That could be a good question; no one should be answering from a position of leadership.

A

Monkey
    The equal payout is not for every race, just for World Champs. Just one race a year ummkayyy!

And it applies to all UCI races, not just mtb DH. A step in the right direction I would think. Now they just have to fire the entire UCI governing body to get rid of the corrupt moron influence.
    Last edited by wood booger; 12-21-2012 at 04:57 PM.

It's a precedent for other events too, no doubt.
    "It won't happen again. I can promise you that. Willie here has low blood sugar. That's all."

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai View Post
    All other considerations aside -- 97 Men show up and entry fees support the prize/purse, and moreso - the races themselves; 3 women show up, they are NOT due 50% of the prize resources when they're 3% of the funding.

Would men be willing to concede more to attract more women? That could be a good question; no one should be answering from a position of leadership.

A
    you know, we already give a lot money to women. it doesnt change a thing at all in equation.

Is the debate about the sport or the money? If the idea is to keep it a men's sport and sometimes let women play then keep things the way they are. If the idea is to strengthen the sport through inclusion then the status quo will have to change. Men are usually the status quo and are less likely to give up something they feel entitled to.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Banzai View Post

A
    "midget sex should smell like bacon and secret shame" Derp McDerp

Quote Originally Posted by aenema View Post
    I disagree with that argument as I don't feel it applies here for a variety of reasons. Being a proponent of equal pay for equal work is admirable and worthwhile. This is NOT equal work on a number of levels. The level of athletic competition - winning in a field of 180 pro riders vs winning a field of 30 women willing to ride, and 5-10 pro level women. However, thats not what gets to me. Rachel Atherton works her ass off, and I don't want to take anything away from her by suggesting she doesn't have to work as hard as Gee does. I'm pretty willing to bet she is driven as fyck and works hard as hell for her results despite a lower level of competition.

What bothers me is that the primary thing pouring money into the sport (fans, riders, etc) are doing so because of the men. Lets not beat around the bush here: If you removed the mens field from the WC competition, how many people would show up to watch/spend money? Anybody? Friends and family? If you removed the womens, do you think anybody would not attend because of it? The mens field is what drives advertising dollars, its what drives fans to show up, and its what drives riders to buy bikes.

Before you get up in arms, I'm not suggesting thats the optimal or best setup, but it is what it is. Rachel Atherton is not selling the latest GT fury. Gee and Marc Beaumont are. Likewise, people are not showing up to watch Rachel race, they're showing up to watch Gee and Beaumont race, and its icing on the cake that they get to watch Rachel killing it too.

If there were 20k in prize winnings being distributed to the mens field and 5 to the womens, making a total of 25k total before, the implementation of this rule isn't going to see an additional 15k poured into prize purses to make things equal, its going to see the mens field making 12.5k instead of 20, and the womens making 12.5 too. People show up to watch Aaron Gwin race, and win. He should be rewarded more for that.

Getting more women involved in the sport isn't a bad thing. But the UCI making the call that women should make as much as men isn't going to get more imo - the thing that drives women to ride isn't the UCI forcing race venues to offer up bigger womens prize purses. Its companies selling their bikes correctly and getting women involved in the sport, which frankly, most companies don't really do. Half-hearted sponsorship of a womens DH racer doesn't grow the sport, and its bike companies that need to get involved in the missing demographic, not the UCI. The UCI should just reflect the demographics that exist.

Let's call equal payout what it is, a joke. To equate Greg Minnar's achievement this past year to Morganne Chare's is insulting to Minnar and the rest of the men's field.
    Last edited by gemini2k; 12-21-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    For Sale
    All Brand New!
    Marzocchi 2014 380 DH fork ON SALE!!

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini2k View Post
    Let's call equal payout what it is, a joke. To equate Greg Minnar's achievement this past year to Morganne Chare's is insulting to Minnar and the rest of the men's field.
    And I am sure Greg's salary vs Morganne's salary reflects this quite well. This is not eqaul pay, it is equal payout for one race!

This will only bring more women into the sport, this is not bad. Is it still 1950 down there in SoCal?