Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Check out the Michelin Wild Grip'r2 in the 2.35 size. They are a bit vague about it, but the 2.35 version is their "enduro" version with reinforced sidewalls and extra large knobs. It is very different from the 2.25 version.

http://dirt.mpora.com/featured-artic...ild-gripr.html

any feedback on Conti's "Apex" sidewalls? After gashing 4 rear tires this season, I've come to the realization that I need a properly reinforced sidewall for my rear tires. I'm currently running a 2.35 full dh-casing HighRoller, but it's not a very good xc tire for the wet season here in the North East - I find it lacking in climbing ability over wet rocks and such. Which is fine, that's not what it's meant for.

So I am seriously considering a Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili. I would have liked to try the Rubber Queen (Trail King), but I don't really want to go full 2.4 to get the Apex sidewall. And it seems the Baron has that sidewall. So... any experience with it?

Monkey
    Stopped by a local shop here in Korea cause I remembered they carried Schwalbe when I was here a year ago. Seems they have established themsleves nicely and carry a full selection. I can pick up my Muddy Mary for next Spring/Summer wet season and right now they have Hans Dampf in both Trailstar and Pacestar compounds. The price beats CRC so I might just go with a set of these.

Looked at Michlins on CRC and have to say at least the prices are a little more agreeable, just not a full selection to choose from. Couple of years ago tire prices seemed acceptable, could pick up Minions or HRs in the 20 pound range. Now the prices really are hard to swallow. Front tires not so bad but a rear can get chewed up pretty quick. Then there are condition changes needing other tires. Loving Cape Town because the trails can handle the wet and dry so one set of rubber will see you right. In Korea its impossible to keep up - variety of trail surfaces with wet, dry, loose, hardpack and freezing.

Thanks for all the input again and this is a big market that bike and component manufacturers are realising so its exciting times. Still have 2 weeks before I can ride again but a new rig and summer in Cape Town so I am surely jumping like a little kid.

Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    Check out the Michelin Wild Grip'r2 in the 2.35 size. They are a bit vague about it, but the 2.35 version is their "enduro" version with reinforced sidewalls and extra large knobs. It is very different from the 2.25 version.

http://dirt.mpora.com/featured-artic...ild-gripr.html
    Have you been using this size?

Tire has gotten my interest but I can find much reviews from actual use.

Quote Originally Posted by Salami View Post
    Have you been using this size?

Tire has gotten my interest but I can find much reviews from actual use.
    Get the 2.35 version. That was the one designed help from Barel and Nico. It has way blockier knobs than the rest of the options, and looks more like a dh tire. I run the 2.25 standard version and it gives a fast rolling round profile, but I am betting that 2.35 tire (which is weirdly a little smaller than my tires) would dig into the ground better. I am getting those next after seeing them on Mike's bike.
    SEI Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    but I am betting that 2.35 tire (which is weirdly a little smaller than my tires)
    Huh? The 2.35 GripR is smaller than the 2.25?

I was thinking the 2.35 on the front and the 2.25 on the rear, both Advanced versions. I have heard the 2.35's are 950 grams, a bit more tire than I want for the rear.

Was also thinking about 2.3 Butcher front/Purgatory rear Controls but the Butcher is not available to at least late January.
    Last edited by Salami; 12-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Salami View Post
    I was thinking the 2.35 on the front and the 2.25 on the rear, both Advanced versions. I have heard the 2.35's are 950 grams, a bit more tire than I want for the rear.
    That's because the 2.35 has a much thicker, reinforced sidewall and like Jeremy said, the knobs are WAY blockier. They corner amazingly, and the durometer is a bit softer than the other versions.

Are you running the 2.35's front and rear?

The combo with the most top level enduro wins (multiple mega, Mt Hell, Super Enduro, French Enduro Series, Trans Provence, CWX, Enduro Nations) is 2.4 Ardent Front and 2.35 Larsen TT DH rear. Both run tubeless. As run by Jerome, Remy and a couple of other top riders with "other" tire sponsors. This doesn't mean its for you and there are more and more choices every season.

Tubeless question - are the pros who run Flows using rim strips or just tape with UST tires?
    Last edited by djjohnr; 12-16-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dondon View Post
    The combo with the most top level enduro wins (multiple mega, Mt Hell, Super Enduro, French Enduro Series, Trans Provence, CWX, Enduro Nations) is 2.4 Ardent Front and 2.35 Larsen TT DH rear. Both run tubeless. As run by Jerome, Remy and a couple of other top riders with "other" tire sponsors. This doesn't mean its for you and there are more and more choices every season.
    I had a look for those Larsen DHs, and they're very hard to find. Even the big on-line stores didn't have any when I was looking. It almost seemed to me that they are made and reserved for racers only...

Turbo Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    any feedback on Conti's "Apex" sidewalls? After gashing 4 rear tires this season, I've come to the realization that I need a properly reinforced sidewall for my rear tires. I'm currently running a 2.35 full dh-casing HighRoller, but it's not a very good xc tire for the wet season here in the North East - I find it lacking in climbing ability over wet rocks and such. Which is fine, that's not what it's meant for.

So I am seriously considering a Continental Baron 2.3 Black Chili. I would have liked to try the Rubber Queen (Trail King), but I don't really want to go full 2.4 to get the Apex sidewall. And it seems the Baron has that sidewall. So... any experience with it?
    I can provide lots of feedback - I have been on a Baron 2.3 up front and Trail King ProTection 2.4 rear for months now. I had the Rain King DH tires on my Nomad as my Whistler/resort tires for the last couple years and they were fantastic, so I opted to get the Baron as my all mountain tire. I have yet to have any issues with the Apex sidewall even after time at Whistler and Stevens Pass bike parks, but I also have yet to find issue with the Trail King. The Baron is narrower and lower volume than the Trail King, but you can feel that the Apex sidewall has more support than the ProTection sidewall on the Trail King.

In my experience the Baron is an incredibly predictable tire and does really well in intermediate/wet conditions. Its not a mud tire despite the DH version having previously been called the Rain King, and I've found that it shares many handling traits with my old Specialized Clutch SX tires while being slightly lighter and narrower. It doesn't pedal as well as the Trail King, but the traction is much more aggressive and the tread seems to be lasting better.
    FRS Healthy Energy - The New Science

If you want to avoid gashes, look for Protection sidewall. Apex is an anti-snakebite reinforcement near the bead, it wont protect the most gash-vulnerable area of the tire just below the sideknobs.

Quote Originally Posted by motomike View Post
    That's because the 2.35 has a much thicker, reinforced sidewall and like Jeremy said, the knobs are WAY blockier. They corner amazingly, and the durometer is a bit softer than the other versions.
    How do they do in loose conditions - ie loam?

Just grabbed a set of the 2.35 WildGrip'r2 Advantages. Looks like they'll dig in fairly well due to the knob height, have a small side channel and two levels of "sipes" (not really sipes but not sure what else to call them) on the sides of the edge knobs that theoretically should allow for predictable break-away without folding over. Rubber feels somewhere between ST and 60d, actually pretty similar to Trailstar. Sidewalls feel plenty thick. Actual weight of both tires is 998 grams. I don't have calipers but a ruler measurement shows 58mm width at the knobs and 52mm at the casing. No ride time yet, it's pretty damn muddy here so it may be awhile before I know how they handle on anything dry.

Name:  wildgripr235.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  192.1 KB
    Last edited by djjohnr; 01-01-2013 at 09:47 PM.