Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Since we're now airing our grievances Festivus style, I am most upset that these guys will be forced out of business

http://www.twenty6products.com/

I mean sh!t, "650Bproducts" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Who would buy annodized stems and pedals from a company like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    We don't work from the IMBA handbook. We try to make sustainable where forced but kick ass is really the only guideline we build to.

Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post
    Dude. You have a fireplace in your bike shop? Awesome.
    And one in my bedroom and one in the dining room. I live in a house built in 1912. I'd trade one of the fireplaces for a dishwasher though...

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Since we're now airing our grievances Festivus style, I am most upset that these guys will be forced out of business

http://www.twenty6products.com/

I mean sh!t, "650Bproducts" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Who would buy annodized stems and pedals from a company like that?
    oh I don't know... I'd say "twenty7fiveproducts" has a certain ring to it....

oh, and woo and suspect... Suspect as much as admits that "promulgating a new wheelsize is partially about planned obslescence", but dude, don't get upset that we're upset! nobody likes to be made obsolete... least of all by the industry folk that we idolize so much!

I'm just glad I didn't buy those 26" Enve rims I've been lusting after so much... could you imagine a $1600 investment being obsolete before you even buy them?!?!?!

Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    Oh I'm not upset at all. I just keep being struck by the very apparent difference in who mickey's source crowd seems to be and the people I'm surrounded by.....including industry folks.

I like riding bikes. I'll do it on whatever. I just don't like being told what I'll like......... cuz I'm a 'murican with a mustache and that's how we roll!
    STRAVA: Turn your dork logger off when you're on unsanctioned trails numbnuts

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dickinson CrabJoe StretchPants's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    least of all by the industry folk that we idolize so much!
    You idolize bike industry folks?

Quote Originally Posted by gemini2k View Post
    I told myself I'd stop posting in this thread, but this brings my internet anger to a new level. Shimano hollowtech II crank/BB setup is probably the LAST thing on a bike that ever needs to be changed, seriously. I'm running a 6 year old gen 1 crank AND original BB cup setup on my DH bike. 3 frames, 6 years, over 1 million feet of vert. Never once come loose or creaked. It's as if Rock Jesus himself has blessed those parts.

(Disclaimer, I almost NEVER ride in the wet)
    I've had bikes with HT2, GXP and annoying Shimano 970 XTR and nothing BB has annoyed me as much as a bike I bought earlier this year having a PFBB30 which was toast after a muddy race. I sold the bike frame for a loss shortly afterwards.

Shimano cranksets really are the best crank install method out there.

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    this thread:

set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Monkey
    650b and 29r's are for pussies who can't get their 26 inch wheels to do what they want so they strap on some wagon wheels to compensate for their lack of bike handling skills and manliness.

Quote Originally Posted by CrabJoe StretchPants View Post
    You idolize bike industry folks?

should I have used an emoticon to clarify the intent of that sentence?!!?

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dickinson CrabJoe StretchPants's Avatar
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice View Post
    because threaded bb's are essentially done in the production market(
    I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you to www.santacruzbicycles.com - home of the threaded BB.
    You'll find them on a variety of 26 and 29 inch wheeled models.
    Back to your regularly scheduled nerd battle.
    I don't always work, but when I do, its at Santa Cruz Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice View Post
    If you show up at an xc race...
    Then something has already gone wrong in your life.

The LAST thing to cross my mind when spec'ing out a bike or building a wheel is how I'll appeal to the roadies on dirt.
    "It won't happen again. I can promise you that. Willie here has low blood sugar. That's all."

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    I'd like to take this opportunity to invite you to www.santacruzbicycles.com - home of the threaded BB.
    You'll find them on a variety of 26 and 29 inch wheeled models.
    Back to your regularly scheduled nerd battle.

hahaha and please keep it that way, press fit seems a good idea but most manufacturers **** up tolereances way to much..
    Spastic Bambi on Ice!
    by Trib

Super Co
    Canfield Brothers

@Suspect Device - I think a 650 slalom bike would rule the flat corners. Drifting the flat corners is what I like the most about those wheels.
    Last edited by buckoW; 12-13-2012 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Did I say 'morons?'
    Oh sorry, I didn't realize how 'industry' your friends are. Those two are SOOOOO mutually exclusive

Come on man, that's not an argument. It's precisely the far too xc oriented INDUSTRY dorks who can't tell the full difference between the two platforms and who have apparently made the decision that 26" bikes need to die. Part of it is obviously just that they want to sell new bikes again but part of it is also very much because they don't understand the shorcomings of what they're pushing.........and so see no benefit to staying on smaller wheels. Well some of us do. So seriously.......screw those guys. Not all of us need to be told what we know.

This is an INDUSTRY DRIVEN change, not a RIDER driven one. That's what's so annoying about it. And how fast someone can win a race where climbing by far decides the winner has no bearing on why many (most?) people spend so much time building badass 5-6" travel trail bikes. So the 'industry' can suck it in that regard. Some of us already know how to move bicycles downhill and already have a hard enough time keeping wheels in one piece without weighing as much as a house.

Of COURSE I have no problem with incremental improvements. But when you sit here over and over and over again proclaiming the death of an entire system.........that's not incremental. That's companies trying to sell bikes to people who don't need them having just discovered a novel way to do it. It sure isn't 'options or choices' either if their catalogs truly are completely devoid of 26" frames.

I'm really not that worried about it. I'm a pretty smart guy and can easily see the benefit of some super low BB bikes coming out once I put some 26" wheels on them. I just think it's a little funny to watch and irritating to know where these 'decisions' are coming from. I still had a lot of fun riding a 29er this summer. But I was also really glad to get back on a stiff 26" bike that could still be stiffer or lighter.
    The thing is he want's it to be true so he sees it is true. Last time I checked yurp is a big market and 29ers and 650ers are not as big here, hell they are kinda hard to buy. Also I know close to no people who want to go and jump on them in anything but XC. He claims that if the XC and families want it that all the others have to want it. We are the minority so screw us. Also confirmation bias much? 26 isn't dead in the disciplines we are talking about. Not even close. Even the enduro racing crowd isn't on board.

I'm interested in trying a 650b bike but the whole idea of "we know better, I know industry xc guys" is really annoying. Especially suggesting we will and shouldn't be able to buy stuff for 26''. I like bald ideas but this is just arrogant.

Also - must spread rep
    Last edited by norbar; 12-13-2012 at 02:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!