Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar

Totally clutch, or why I give a **** about 10 speed now

I've been on some setups from both sram and shimano for a while now so I figured I'd blather a bit about it.

But clutch derailleurs are rad.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...illeur-systems
    STRAVA: Turn your dork logger off when you're on unsanctioned trails numbnuts

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    ^ Nice woo. Ive been with the X9 Type 2 in my V10 since summer and its been awesome. Me like silent bikes

Interesting points on the feature differences between Shimano and SRAM--and my experience mirrors yours in terms of SRAMs tolerating more out-of-whackness and still shifting well. Being that it is a review of derailleurs, could you comment on any differences in the shifting quality and/or reliability of the two derailleurs? Based on the bikes you used for the test, I'm guessing they were run with some type of chain guide, but it would be worth noting whether there was any advantage in terms of chain retention. Thanks for contributing actual, you know, content to RM

I choose to not give a €£%^{#} while wearing a speedo.
    "Rotting belly button smells funny."

- Me

Another good article. Dude, you're on a roll.

I agree with your conclusion about the new stuff: Clutch derailleurs are awesome and 10 spd chains don't handle shifting under load as well as chains with wider spacing.

But my experience with 9spd was different. I tried hard to like SRAM but the rear derailleurs were just not nearly as durable for me as Shimano. It seemed that even a glancing hit would crush the parallelogram enough to render a SRAM der useless. Even before the low profile shadow stuff I got far more durability from Shimano.

Factor in the brakes and cranks and Shimano is the clear winner for me. But I would like to thank SRAM for providing some serious competition and forcing Shimano to step up their game in recent years.
    Blatantly biased in favor of Santa Cruz Bikes, Enve Composites, E.13, and The Hive. Just sayin'.

Awesome, my new bike has a x9 type two, can't wait to give it a try. Are their any differences with cage lengths and the effect on the clutch/friction/shifting? Just wondering if guys running 1x10 on trail bikes are noticing any difference between cage lengths.

Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OGRipper View Post
    I tried hard to like SRAM but the rear derailleurs were just not nearly as durable for me as Shimano.
    Which ones did you have? They did have some crappy ones with thin bars forming the derailleur parallelogram but it's been a few years now. X.0s from the beginning have been insanely durable......I think I just retired my last one from 2003. As the years went on some of that trickledown started, the x.9 stuff got pretty damn awesome. My bigggest problem with them was that the main pivot that houses the hanger bolt would get a lot of play in it (talking years here though) but they still always shifted flawlessly.....even when bent.

SubPrime: It's kind of funny the sort of convergence in lever throw that both companies have achieved. It was always pretty obvious there was a difference when sram advertised 1:1 actuation and Shimano 1:2. They're both like 1:1.5 now (seriously). I've heard of some folks even being able to mix shifters and derailleurs between the brands and it working for the most part. I haven't tried it though.

I've have broken or bent either one of them yet so I'm kind of useless for super long term durability info. The sram stuff hasn't even been out that long. But yeah, every bike either of these were on were with some sort ofchainguide.....at the minimum a blackspire stinger on my trailbike. Both make a huge difference comparable to riding without a chainguide and then sticking one on. It's nuts.

Matt: both companies do a short medium and long cage so you've got options whichever way you go. Mine were both medium cages. That's a good point about the length of the cage and leverage. Kind of another point for shimano since you can adjust it IMO.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 12-12-2012 at 06:26 PM.
    STRAVA: Turn your dork logger off when you're on unsanctioned trails numbnuts

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Pretty soon woo will be raving about 29ers

I'm slowly piecing together a 10-sp group, just need the chain and shifters to be ready.
    Actually was considering the chain strength issue and contemplating going low end chain, thinking it will be stronger than an XTR level with hollow pins and speed holes.

edit: I like how the new Shimano i-spec shifters integrate with the new Shimano brake lever mounting. Less clutter.
    Last edited by Nick; 12-12-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Monkey
    One thing I noticed is that my 10-speed Shimano stuff required fewer adjustments than my older 9-speed SRAM shifting. Is that also the case for 10-speed to 10-speed?
    My other bike is a duc

A quasi-dissertation about the pros and cons of bending a chain.

Good stuff as usual. Won't upgrade till the 9 speed stuff falls apart, but I can see the point
    Last edited by ZoRo; 12-12-2012 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    ...But yeah, every bike either of these were on were with some sort ofchainguide.....at the minimum a blackspire stinger on my trailbike. Both make a huge difference comparable to riding without a chainguide and then sticking one on. It's nuts.
    i was running an xcx on my 1x10 5" trail bike but decided to take it off and see if the x9 clutch could handle it. so far i haven't lost a chain and the bike is even quieter. win.

Monkey
    Would love the benefits of the clutch system, but a little nervous about the durability of the 10sp chain. Good write up!

Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    i was running an xcx on my 1x10 5" trail bike but decided to take it off and see if the x9 clutch could handle it. so far i haven't lost a chain and the bike is even quieter. win.
    i tried that. didn't work. I would lose a chain several times a ride. Maybe it depends on terrain and riding style? I'm a brute and I ride in rocky terrain. Up and down...

Man, I desperately want one of these for nine speed. I've wondered if there's any way to convert the shifter ratio to make it work. The concept of switching to a less durable chain to get an extra gear I don't feel like I need just doesn't work for me.