Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    The dorco stRange comes in at 16.8", with big ol honkin tires. same with the sight (140mm).

The turner was a design choice, not constraint, from my understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini2k View Post
    What, so they are just gonna stop making DH rims and tires in 26"?
    Doubt that. Why would they, when there will still be people riding 26ers that are buying spares?

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini2k View Post
    What, so they are just gonna stop making DH rims and tires in 26"? If so I'm seriously going to burn down something.
    i think we'd have an easy time finding enough people who still want 26" stuff to scrape up enough $$$ to call china or taiwan and have whatever we want made.
    Last edited by jonKranked; 12-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

this all sounds like manufacturers are trying to convince consumers that 26" is dead, hoping they will start buying 650b's thus 'proving' that it's what the consumer wants.

Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    this all sounds like manufacturers are trying to convince consumers that 26" is dead, hoping they will start buying 650b's thus 'proving' that it's what the consumer wants.
    and then in a few years they'll push 26" again as "retro"
    Last edited by jonKranked; 12-06-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Chimp
    I don't have a problem with the wheel size, I'll ride whatever is around. I will beat a bunch of dorks most of the time until someone who's actually fast beats me.

I have a problem with the horribly inorganic method in which its going. Tide changes just seem so disingenuous.

Also bummer for dealers having to stock another entire gd wheel line. Blows for them in an already terribly diluted retail market. What is 650b was the magic wheel size but it killed all the bike shops? :O

Me wants 5" 27'r if they're going to do it...
    Last edited by kgm; 12-06-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling.

Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    I will beat a bunch of dorks most of the time until someone who's actually fast beats me.
    You only get beat by slow people now?
    STRAVA: Turn your dork logger off when you're on unsanctioned trails numbnuts

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    I don't have a problem with the wheel size, I'll ride whatever is around. I will beat a bunch of dorks most of the time until someone who's actually fast beats me.

I have a problem with the horribly inorganic method in which its going. Tide changes just seem so disingenuous.

Also bummer for dealers having to stock another entire gd wheel line. Blows for them in an already terribly diluted retail market. What is 650b was the magic wheel size but it killed all the bike shops? :O

Me wants 5" 27'r if they're going to do it...
    High-End 26" bikes are already dead on the retail floor, and they have been for a few years in most markets.
    Walk into your average shop and try to find a high end 26" bike or part. There aren't any.

That's not a conspiracy, it's just that nobody wants to buy 26" bikes any more.

LBS stocks butchers and minions in 26 x 2.5. Also hillbillys.

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice View Post
    High-End 26" bikes are already dead on the retail floor, and they have been for a few years in most markets.
    Walk into your average shop and try to find a high end 26" bike or part. There aren't any.

Guess I'm nobody. Then again, I rarely step foot inside a bike shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice View Post

This is surely not true in NC, nor was it the case when I went to Colorado a few months ago. It may be the case in New England where everyone thinks they need 36" wheels and 18" high BB's, but you still see plenty of 26" bikes in the shops, being sold, and on the trails around here.

Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked View Post
    Guess I'm nobody. Then again, I rarely step foot inside a bike shop.
    Ding ding ding!

Monkey
    since i moved from New England to the PNW, i hardly see any 29ers. Everyone seems stoked on "little" wheels. the shops i roll into stock more 26 crap than 29er by a large margin. 29ers seem like a NE, midwest, and xc racer thing.

Very few people rode the OR enduro series on a 29

Turbo Monkey
    26ers are still the norm in the rest of the world as well, and Europe is pretty big market.

The tide is changing in Europe though...it won't be long.
    Banshee Legend Mk2 for Sale here
    pumptrackproject.com

Quote Originally Posted by wiscodh View Post
    since i moved from New England to the PNW, i hardly see any 29ers. Everyone seems stoked on "little" wheels. the shops i roll into stock more 26 crap than 29er by a large margin. 29ers seem like a NE, midwest, and xc racer thing.

Very few people rode the OR enduro series on a 29
    Regions definitely have different trends but as a whole 29er sales are up something like 110% from '11 to '12. 26" inch bikes were also up but only about 10-15% if I remember correctly. There were also a couple quotes in one of the latest Bicycle Retailers where shop owners and a couple bike manufacturers said that 29er sales were the biggest reason for having a positive sales year. I think they're hoping to have the same results with the 650b movement over the next few years.

Nearly every industry is cyclical. Moments of stagnant retail sales often have to be shaken up by dramatic changes. In 10 years we'll all be bitching about how they're switching to 675C sized wheels or something...