Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 394
  1. #181
    just shake your rump Sandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    whahlthahm, MAH
    Posts
    12,554
    Rep Power
    13
    The dorco stRange comes in at 16.8", with big ol honkin tires. same with the sight (140mm).

    The turner was a design choice, not constraint, from my understanding.

  2. #182
    Monkey Verskis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    425
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini2k View Post
    What, so they are just gonna stop making DH rims and tires in 26"?
    Doubt that. Why would they, when there will still be people riding 26ers that are buying spares?

  3. #183
    Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    alcoholics unanimous
    Posts
    35,919
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by gemini2k View Post
    What, so they are just gonna stop making DH rims and tires in 26"? If so I'm seriously going to burn down something.
    i think we'd have an easy time finding enough people who still want 26" stuff to scrape up enough $$$ to call china or taiwan and have whatever we want made.
    Last edited by jonKranked; 12-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

  4. #184
    Turbo Monkey 'size's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,201
    Rep Power
    4
    this all sounds like manufacturers are trying to convince consumers that 26" is dead, hoping they will start buying 650b's thus 'proving' that it's what the consumer wants.

  5. #185
    Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    alcoholics unanimous
    Posts
    35,919
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    this all sounds like manufacturers are trying to convince consumers that 26" is dead, hoping they will start buying 650b's thus 'proving' that it's what the consumer wants.
    and then in a few years they'll push 26" again as "retro"
    Last edited by jonKranked; 12-06-2012 at 02:20 PM.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

  6. #186
    Chimp
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    co
    Posts
    34
    Rep Power
    1
    I don't have a problem with the wheel size, I'll ride whatever is around. I will beat a bunch of dorks most of the time until someone who's actually fast beats me.

    I have a problem with the horribly inorganic method in which its going. Tide changes just seem so disingenuous.

    Also bummer for dealers having to stock another entire gd wheel line. Blows for them in an already terribly diluted retail market. What is 650b was the magic wheel size but it killed all the bike shops? :O

    Me wants 5" 27'r if they're going to do it...
    Last edited by kgm; 12-06-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: spelling.

  7. #187
    Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In my pants
    Posts
    16,789
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    I will beat a bunch of dorks most of the time until someone who's actually fast beats me.
    You only get beat by slow people now?
    STRAVA: Turn your dork logger off when you're on unsanctioned trails numbnuts

    Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

  8. #188
    Turbo Monkey SuspectDevice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    Posts
    3,918
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    I don't have a problem with the wheel size, I'll ride whatever is around. I will beat a bunch of dorks most of the time until someone who's actually fast beats me.

    I have a problem with the horribly inorganic method in which its going. Tide changes just seem so disingenuous.

    Also bummer for dealers having to stock another entire gd wheel line. Blows for them in an already terribly diluted retail market. What is 650b was the magic wheel size but it killed all the bike shops? :O

    Me wants 5" 27'r if they're going to do it...
    High-End 26" bikes are already dead on the retail floor, and they have been for a few years in most markets.
    Walk into your average shop and try to find a high end 26" bike or part. There aren't any.

    That's not a conspiracy, it's just that nobody wants to buy 26" bikes any more.

  9. #189
    just shake your rump Sandwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    whahlthahm, MAH
    Posts
    12,554
    Rep Power
    13
    LBS stocks butchers and minions in 26 x 2.5. Also hillbillys.

  10. #190
    Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    alcoholics unanimous
    Posts
    35,919
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice View Post
    High-End 26" bikes are already dead on the retail floor, and they have been for a few years in most markets.
    Walk into your average shop and try to find a high end 26" bike or part. There aren't any.

    That's not a conspiracy, it's just that nobody wants to buy 26" bikes any more.
    Guess I'm nobody. Then again, I rarely step foot inside a bike shop.

  11. #191
    Turbo Monkey Dogboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,799
    Rep Power
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice View Post
    High-End 26" bikes are already dead on the retail floor, and they have been for a few years in most markets.
    Walk into your average shop and try to find a high end 26" bike or part. There aren't any.

    That's not a conspiracy, it's just that nobody wants to buy 26" bikes any more.
    This is surely not true in NC, nor was it the case when I went to Colorado a few months ago. It may be the case in New England where everyone thinks they need 36" wheels and 18" high BB's, but you still see plenty of 26" bikes in the shops, being sold, and on the trails around here.

  12. #192
    Turbo Monkey dump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    4,579
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked View Post
    Guess I'm nobody. Then again, I rarely step foot inside a bike shop.
    Ding ding ding!

  13. #193
    Monkey
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    503
    Posts
    566
    Rep Power
    4
    since i moved from New England to the PNW, i hardly see any 29ers. Everyone seems stoked on "little" wheels. the shops i roll into stock more 26 crap than 29er by a large margin. 29ers seem like a NE, midwest, and xc racer thing.


    Very few people rode the OR enduro series on a 29

  14. #194
    Turbo Monkey
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Feet on the ground, head in the clouds.
    Posts
    1,381
    Rep Power
    7
    26ers are still the norm in the rest of the world as well, and Europe is pretty big market.

    The tide is changing in Europe though...it won't be long.
    Banshee Legend Mk2 for Sale here
    pumptrackproject.com

  15. #195
    Turbo Monkey mattmatt86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Bleedmore, Murderland
    Posts
    5,345
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by wiscodh View Post
    since i moved from New England to the PNW, i hardly see any 29ers. Everyone seems stoked on "little" wheels. the shops i roll into stock more 26 crap than 29er by a large margin. 29ers seem like a NE, midwest, and xc racer thing.


    Very few people rode the OR enduro series on a 29
    Regions definitely have different trends but as a whole 29er sales are up something like 110% from '11 to '12. 26" inch bikes were also up but only about 10-15% if I remember correctly. There were also a couple quotes in one of the latest Bicycle Retailers where shop owners and a couple bike manufacturers said that 29er sales were the biggest reason for having a positive sales year. I think they're hoping to have the same results with the 650b movement over the next few years.

    Nearly every industry is cyclical. Moments of stagnant retail sales often have to be shaken up by dramatic changes. In 10 years we'll all be bitching about how they're switching to 675C sized wheels or something...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •