Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    Nah.

the answer is "all of them that were ever made from 6000 series aluminum" and "a pair of XTs I ran on a dh bike"
    STRAVA: Turn your dork logger off when you're on unsanctioned trails numbnuts

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

Saint cranks are made from the same aluminum as XTR and Dura ace cranks are Duralumin. I am guessing a 7000 series aluminum?

Celebrating No-Pants Day kidwoo's Avatar
    Most of their high end ones are some variant (or not) of one of the common 7ks.

"duralumin"
    STRAVA: Turn your dork logger off when you're on unsanctioned trails numbnuts

Switchacks = woodland based crimes against humanity

Hey little girl, do you want some candy? Zark's Avatar
    The zee cranks use 6000 series alloy, non hollowtech construction and a pedal insert. My experience has been much like kidwoo's, 6k cranks bend more easily than 7k. Cranks are a key item and no place to skimp if you ride hard, jump and deal with techy rock gardens (and the tight spots you get in). I would rather pay more initially and never have to worry again about my cranks. Get saint cranks and be done with it. If you are light, smooth and are lucky I would give zee cranks a 2 to 3 season lifespan with regular dh use.
    SBMTV Intense-Bombers

Quote Originally Posted by Zark View Post
    The zee cranks use 6000 series alloy, non hollowtech construction and a pedal insert. My experience has been much like kidwoo's, 6k cranks bend more easily than 7k. Cranks are a key item and no place to skimp if you ride hard, jump and deal with techy rock gardens (and the tight spots you get in). I would rather pay more initially and never have to worry again about my cranks. Get saint cranks and be done with it. If you are light, smooth and are lucky I would give zee cranks a 2 to 3 season lifespan with regular dh use.
    If you are light and smooth why not just get a lighter descendant?
    Quote Originally Posted by ska todd View Post
    Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar View Post
    If you are light and smooth why not just get a lighter descendant?
    Descendants flex..............a lot. I never noticed it on my old frame but on the new one I have to have 3 bb spacers on the non drive side to stop the crank gouging into the frame.

The only Shimano crank I ever bent was an OG Saint. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by b.utters View Post
    Descendants flex..............a lot. I never noticed it on my old frame but on the new one I have to have 3 bb spacers on the non drive side to stop the crank gouging into the frame.
    Are you light? If not the Zee is also not a great option. Also you have new gravity lights from 7050 alu which are stiffer than the old ones. You also have e13's. Hell even SLX is lighter than zee.
    Bacon is a universal. Like duct tape, zip ties, or a bigger hammer it can fix anything!

Turbo Monkey
    Are you light? If not the Zee is also not a great option. Also you have new gravity lights from 7050 alu which are stiffer than the old ones. You also have e13's. Hell even SLX is lighter than zee.
    there is a 83mm slx?
    www.mtbfreeride.tv

Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked
    ridemonkey is pretty much the 4chan of mountain biking

Quote Originally Posted by sethimus View Post
    there is a 83mm slx?
    Forgot that. XT. They can be converted to 83mm and I've seen people do it. Though I'm not sure if they are as stiff as XTRs. Never tried it.

Monkey
    SLX crank arms are marginally heavier than XT. It's the rings that make up most of the weight difference. I had no problems with my SLX. They're basically the same weight as XT, supposedly 100% stiffer (they made that claim a couple of years ago when they came out with them) and much cheaper. No 83mm though so not much help here.
    banj

Quote Originally Posted by banj View Post
    SLX crank arms are marginally heavier than XT. It's the rings that make up most of the weight difference. I had no problems with my SLX. They're basically the same weight as XT, supposedly 100% stiffer (they made that claim a couple of years ago when they came out with them) and much cheaper. No 83mm though so not much help here.
    Still XT's can be made into 83mm so there is something here Never felt the lack of stiffness on my old xc bike but I'm light.