Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proto Crank Brothers Mallets...

Anyone heard when they might be coming out? There's absolutely nowt on crank brothers website.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad63lac View Post
    Everytime a dj, downhill, freerider gives a dollar to Chris King, God kills a puppy.

Save the puppies.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    ^Saw this for sale online already, I dunno why. I was surprised too. Looks cool, heavier than the current Mallet 3's.

Link: http://mtbgarage.com/crank-brothers-...dh-race-pedal/

Ah nice one. Guess they're not out in the UK yet. Hopefully they sort the reliability issues out. I've just changed to clips and am most comfortable with crank brothers system, feels really natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by bad63lac View Post
    Everytime a dj, downhill, freerider gives a dollar to Chris King, God kills a puppy.

Save the puppies.

They have been testing those on the world cup circuit this past season. Supposedly, they are a DH version of the Mallet. I always thought the Mallets were already supposed to be a DH pedal, though, so that statement didn't really make sense to me.

I really wish they would hire an engineer to work on their reliability. I love the way the pedals work,and had great luck with them for years, except this year I've gone through several pairs of Mallets in a season, sent a few back for warranty, was told that snapping spindles was not a defect in design or manufacturing, and one pair of repaired pedals still has the axial play problem that they were supposed to fix. Sigh.
    Hopefully these new ones have improved reliability.

Do any of you have trouble with the red spring digging into the Mallet pedal body?

Shrimp
    Hedgehog
    Ivey
    Masterbate
    Aggressive
    Nunchucks
    Orville

Above is a puzzle and if you can solve it, it will fix all the problems that you have had with your mallets.
    SEI Racing

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg View Post
    They have been testing those on the world cup circuit this past season. Supposedly, they are a DH version of the Mallet. I always thought the Mallets were already supposed to be a DH pedal, though, so that statement didn't really make sense to me.

I really wish they would hire an engineer to work on their reliability. I love the way the pedals work,and had great luck with them for years, except this year I've gone through several pairs of Mallets in a season, sent a few back for warranty, was told that snapping spindles was not a defect in design or manufacturing, and one pair of repaired pedals still has the axial play problem that they were supposed to fix. Sigh.
    or just get times

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    Shrimp
    Hedgehog
    Ivey
    Masterbate
    Aggressive
    Nunchucks
    Orville

Above is a puzzle and if you can solve it, it will fix all the problems that you have had with your mallets.
    I wish they would come out with a newer version of the old 636's. Maybe a cross between the current Trail style pedals and the current DX's. I love mallets when they work, but the reliability sucks. I think theres definitely something to be said about Mallets for DH, there are a bunch of the top Shimano guys that use Mallets for DH, Gwin and Gee both come to mind. I'm sure shimano would much rather have them using their pedals to complete the whole kit but they're gonna run whatever they think they can win with and it happens to be Mallets.

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by wiscodh View Post
    or just get times
    Yup, best move ever. Maybe the mallets are a little nicer when unclipped but then i just think of Harts worlds run at champery and realise i should be able to keep my feet on the pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by wiscodh View Post
    or just get times
    That is most likely what I'm going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy R View Post
    Shrimp
    Hedgehog
    Ivey
    Masterbate
    Aggressive
    Nunchucks
    Orville

If only the "platform" part of their pedals were actually you know...useable platforms.

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gurp View Post
    If only the "platform" part of their pedals were actually you know...useable platforms.
    they need to bring back PD-646
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Quote Originally Posted by jonKranked View Post
    they need to bring back PD-646
    Quoted for truth.

Quote Originally Posted by mtg View Post

Oh SNAP!
    Last edited by Jm_; 11-15-2012 at 08:37 PM.
    Do you even race bro?

Quote Originally Posted by mattmatt86 View Post
    I wish they would come out with a newer version of the old 636's. Maybe a cross between the current Trail style pedals and the current DX's.
    The trail pedals are not great IMO. I've had a few pairs, and it's not that they are "bad", but there are some pretty big drawbacks. One is there's no angled mechanism to clip into, as with the 545s and 646s. That mechanism makes getting into those pedals VERY easy, especially on the move. The fact that there's the pedal platform in the way makes it harder too, as it doesn't flip around as easy as with say a 540. The platform on the trail pedals is small enough that it doesn't really make a huge difference either. They look cool, and the mechanisms are obviously solid, but I've not been impressed by them, they seem like a fad.
    Do you even race bro?