Page 327 of 363 FirstFirst ... 317325326327328329337 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,905 of 5437
    I must be a hillbilly underneath my coastal liberal veneer. I am psyched about getting some land, building a house, and playing doing some work on said land with big, metal tools. If we end up in snow country (Idaho? Montana? Rockies?), and by some chance I do end up with something 3/4 ton size or bigger then I'm totally snow plowing (and 2-stage snowblowering and lawn tractoring) it up.

[snow plow and axle weight rating junk edited out]
    Last edited by Toshi; 12-20-2012 at 12:41 PM.

So I rode the e-bike in today. Still alive. No one turned in front of me, although I am a bit more jumpy than even before when they feint that way before realizing I'm moving along at 20 mph.

To cure my cold ear problem I used my skiing helmet instead of my crash replacement Giro. Much better. Still has some wind noise but my head and ears were a good temperature.

For whatever reason I ended up using more electricity than normal on the way in. Around 2.6 Ah of 10 theoretical.

Still alive after the return journey, too. It's growing dark at my commuting hours, which is not cool, and it's growing chilly as well, which is, well, cold.

I continued my trend of using more electricity than normal, clocking up 6.88 Ah/333 Wh/20.x Wh per mile, or about 7 cents of electricity for just over 13 miles. Perhaps I'm lazier than normal today? Or perhaps it's the cold.

In any case, it was an uneventful but not pleasant journey. I am not a fan of Long Island drivers even when in the car, and they continue to drive poorly when I'm on the bike, hi-viz, lights and all. Compound that with the deteriorating weather and I may end up being driven around by Jessica more often than not.
    Last edited by Toshi; 11-13-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    I continued my trend of using more electricity than normal, clocking up 6.88 Ah/333 Wh/20.x Wh per mile, or about 7 cents of electricity for just over 13 miles. Perhaps I'm lazier than normal today? Or perhaps it's the cold.
    It might be safe to assume you are continuing the trend of increasing mass.
    (\_/)
    (°.°)
    c(”)(”)

That could be true! It's winter. Time to hibernate, eh?

Possible future Jessica-vehicle, the 2014 Transit Connect Wagon: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...lick=pm_latest

It looks just the right size: 1.6L Ecoboost 4 banger with a promised 30 mpg freeway rating, 3 rows of seating with decent legroom in the first two (with 3 in the second row, unlike the Mazda5), 168.5 cu ft passenger volume akin with non-mini minivans, dual sliding doors and a low floor for easy access.

From sitting in its last version at car shows I can attest that front row headroom is incredible and sightlines are excellent. Only downsides are that it's a Ford with a characteristically busy modern Ford interior and it'd be new, with all the depreciation implications associated with that.
    Last edited by Toshi; 11-15-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Under 6 Ah, 19.5 Wh/mi, and more like 250 Wh used today, so perhaps my laziness has dissipated a bit. Or perhaps I took an extra large dump and lost some mass that way. Who knows.

I was bundled up like a champ: ski helmet (with ear covers that don't quite block out the wind noise like I'd want, harkening back to Westy's suggestion of ear muffs), hi-viz shell over a medium weight fleece over a thin merino full sleeved jersey over a textile short sleeve jersey, and Gore-Tex pants over regular pants.

I was a veritable hi-viz Bibendum out on the roads today, in other words.

Said bulky clothing kept me warm enough on average but it still wasn't very pleasant, what with individually cold and hot this and that. Oh, and the drivers, as always. And the road debris still not cleaned up from the weather double whammy the last few weeks. And the darkness: I didn't leave the hospital until around 4:45, and dusk today was at 5:06.

There may be a solution in the works, though. My parents recently moved back to Oregon (where they'd maintained a house) from Wyoming. In doing so they obviated the need for at least one of their cars: They'd been keeping the winter-special XTerra, my dad's Corvette, and my mom's Prius in Wyoming and their old 2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type S in Oregon.

My mom has been campaigning for one car to go, and my dad understandably doesn't want to give up the Corvette that he only recently bought (a year or two ago now, used/C5). Therefore the Acura is next up on the cutting block… and it looks like it'll pass into my hands. I just need to arrange for shipping, which they'll pay for! and then register and insure it to my name.

There may be a solution in the works, though. My parents recently moved back to Oregon (where they'd maintained a house) from Wyoming. In doing so they obviated the need for at least one of their cars: They'd been keeping the winter-special XTerra, my dad's Corvette, and my mom's Prius in Wyoming and their old 2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type S in Oregon.

My mom has been campaigning for one car to go, and my dad understandably doesn't want to give up the Corvette that he only recently bought (a year or two ago now, used/C5). Therefore the Acura is next up on the cutting block… and it looks like it'll pass into my hands. I just need to arrange for shipping, which they'll pay for! and then register and insure it to my name.

So it's now arranged: My parents paid for shipping via Dependable Auto Shippers, which generally seemed to get the least-scummy reviews in a field filled with all manner of scumminess. (I'm aware of this first hand, having shipped the Expedition I was borrowing from my parents for a while in 2005/2006 back to them. This was in between the WRX and RX-8. /#whitepeopleproblems)

Anyway, they'll drop the car off in Medford, 168 miles from them but more or less on the way from their place on the coast to Denver, where they're headed to hang out with my sister, her family, Jessica, and me over Thanksgiving break. DAS claims they'll be able to get the car out here on Long Island by Dec 1... so I hope to see it before Jessica and I fly to Seattle for Christmas break on Dec 20.

Now we'll have the added, small expense of insuring it and fueling it, and the bigger expense of getting it back across the country in June. (I don't think it'd be kosher to sell it so soon, and having an extra car would be handy, even in bike-commuting-friendly Seattle. It would be kosher to use it as a trade-in in, say, 2014, though.)

Overall this looks like it'll work out well. I have rental cars lined up for my away rotations during the first two weeks of December, and after that things will ease up both in my working hours (already easy, getting easier), Jessica's teaching schedule (she'll start to teach at home instead of traveling to her kids' houses and teaching them there), and in having two cars.

I think my life is in danger of becoming... normal.

Gah.

Now we'll have the added, small expense of insuring it and fueling it, and the bigger expense of getting it back across the country in June. (I don't think it'd be kosher to sell it so soon, and having an extra car would be handy, even in bike-commuting-friendly Seattle. It would be kosher to use it as a trade-in in, say, 2014, though.)
    Old TL's hold their value. A quick check on KBB shows it's still worth $5-6k as a trade-in.

Too cool to not post: http://bringatrailer.com/2012/11/22/...ruiser-diesel/

1985 JDM RHD high roof diesel Land Cruiser. Awesome.

Sort of want.

many of those appear for sale aroud here, for $8k and under (which i think is crazy expensive).
    the rooflines tend to rot badly.

Thanksgiving 2012 in Denver (with my sister + family)

More at link. A few samples below:

So it's now arranged: My parents paid for shipping [of the Acura] via Dependable Auto Shippers [...]

Imagine the above in white with a slushbox instead of the 6-speed manual and you get the idea of what's coming to me, in theory. It's a slushbox since that's the only way it was offered in its debut year, 2001, and that's when my father bought it. Yes, it's a coupe (CL vs. TL), albeit a long one with a long wheelbase. It's a sedan in all but door count and rear seat dimensions.

Why the "in theory" above? The auto shipping company hasn't assigned a truck or driver to the car. It's sitting in Medford today, 9 days after my parents dropped it off. The shipping company claims that it'll be on my doorstep on December 1, next Saturday, but I don't see how that's possible at this point.
    Last edited by Toshi; 11-25-2012 at 05:30 PM.

I think my life is in danger of becoming... normal.
    Relevant to this Acura, the resounding normalcy of my life hit me over Thanksgiving break: Conventional straight marriage, pregnant white-as-white-bread wife, car commute/scrounging with the rest of the world for parking at my workplace, an essentially white collar job with no dirt under my nails or baked into my skin. I would be kicked out of Fight Club without a question.

More seriously, though, it really is a bit of a letdown for me when I realize that my grand plans won't come to fruition. There will be no off-the-wall EV or CNG vehicle in my life in the mid-term future. There will be no zombie apocalypse prepping or house-building for many a moon yet.

There will instead just be years and years of paying for kid #1's various and sundry expenses (and then #2 and #3?), dutifully paying down student loans, and continuing to live much as we've lived thus far...

I'm thankful for what I have, on the one hand, but on the other can definitely see my freedom (of choice and activity alike) is diminishing rapidly.