Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Jesus what with the SHOP job at least make the legs straight.

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    Jesus what with the SHOP job at least make the legs straight.
    e-flex
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Grasshopper
    Quote Originally Posted by broSteve View Post
    Here it is allegedly
    Attachment 112484
    Let the e-engineering begin.

I am not sure whether the above solution with that bridge (if it exists) would have any advantage compared to existing designs (ie. Dorado). I am wondering though why companies are not using stanctions with hexagonal (or any polygonal) shape a la Cannondale (might be patented, i need to check uspto).
    The stanction should not be necessarily polygonal through the whole length, but only at the upper section, so that there is no need for special seals. This combined with a hexagonal and tapered axle might be a good solution if the dimensions are right.
    I might be very wrong with with this concept, but here is some food for the brains.

Quote Originally Posted by jezso View Post

I am not sure whether the above solution with that bridge (if it exists) would have any advantage compared to existing designs (ie. Dorado). I am wondering though why companies are not using stanctions with hexagonal (or any polygonal) shape a la Cannondale (might be patented, i need to check uspto).
    The stanction should not be necessarily polygonal through the whole length, but only at the upper section, so that there is no need for special seals. This combined with a hexagonal and tapered axle might be a good solution if the dimensions are right.
    I might be very wrong with with this concept, but here is some food for the brains.
    Circles are round, lathes do round, they don't do hex, hex=$

Quote Originally Posted by HardtailHack View Post
    lathes do round, they don't do hex
    Unfortunately, You're wrong.

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by jezso View Post
    The stanction should not be necessarily polygonal through the whole length, but only at the upper section, so that there is no need for special seals.
    This would not work as the 203mm of stanchion outside the chassis needs to be "swallowed" by the chassis at full travel. The bushing guiding the stanchion is just behind the seal, so comes into play 10 to 20mm into the travel.

Why making an inverted fork with tapered steer tube and an arch?

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by troy View Post
    Unfortunately, You're wrong.
    Machining center =! lathe. Lathes go round and have stationary bits that do work. You can't call a horizontal machining center with a rotary table a lathe.

Semantics..

I do like the hex axle though and I'd like to see a torsional stiffness comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by dilzy View Post
    Machining center =! lathe. Lathes go round and have stationary bits that do work. You can't call a horizontal machining center with a rotary table a lathe.

Semantics..

I do like the hex axle though and I'd like to see a torsional stiffness comparison.
    He might mean that they hold a hex, which they do. It's how we make custom bolts, generally.

But you're right that the machines can't be compared for actualy making the hex.

Lathe =/= Mill =/= "Live tooling" or Swiss lathes.
    Quote Originally Posted by golgothan
    Sources are for rivers, this is the internet, we make things up here.

Ok let's call a 2axis cnc lathe a machining center than yes, You're right. Even though using some tricks You can actualy make a hex on typical non cnc lathe

Quote Originally Posted by troy View Post
    Ok let's call a 2axis cnc lathe a machining center than yes, You're right. Even though using some tricks You can actualy make a hex on typical non cnc lathe
    Yep, I just had a bunch of pivot axles made on a lathe that have an internal hex shape.

Grasshopper
    Quote Originally Posted by contactjt View Post
    This would not work as the 203mm of stanchion outside the chassis needs to be "swallowed" by the chassis at full travel. The bushing guiding the stanchion is just behind the seal, so comes into play 10 to 20mm into the travel.
    Oh yes, you are right. I have not thought it through completely.

I remember the old Monster fork, which has one bushing fixed to the end of the stanction, so this one is moving all times as the fork gets cycled through it's travel. This means that the distance between the two bushings increases as you use more of it's travel. Also you need to have the legs very smooth in the inside to serve as proper surface for the moving bushing. I am not sure whether this increases the rigidity of the assembly, or how it affects the weight but is an interesting solution, I have not yet seen since the Monster.

That's how all moto forks work. The Monster was based off Marz's trials moto fork. It's definitely the best way to go, especially for an inverted fork. However, like you say it requires a bearing surface quality finish on the inside of the slider so it's an added cost and the legs can't be slid apart without dislodging the seals so cleaning/re-greasing is complicated by one step. That's fine wih me as I now only change oil through the top caps or foot nut holes and almost never pull the legs off.

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg View Post
    Yep, I just had a bunch of pivot axles made on a lathe that have an internal hex shape.
    Super slow broaching with the cross slide?? How did you do this exactly? I'm not a machinist, but it's always useful to know how this is done.

Hahaha I should post more after drinking beerz, meh, thread wasn't really on topic anyways.

Keen to see how these end up but I have worked out after having many weird bits it gets annoying when people constantly ask "What...is that?"........."Does it work alright?" so I'll never own them.