Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Justin, have your mom buy you a new one and try that one. Im sure it would really piss some people off.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    That's because most people adjust their b-tension screw properly.
    The problem enlies with the B tension.

Screw it in, and it pulls the derailleur back (it will now clear) However, the deraileur is now far away from the cassette and now shifts like turd. (with new cable/housing)

screw it in so it matches the cassette (per instructions) and it wont clear the frame. I will try to get some pics tomorrow-right now the 105 is on it so i can at least cruise around on it.
    Industry 9 wheels for sale

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    ohh, thought - is your chain length correct? I had a somewhat similar situation once, albeit on a hardtail. der was clanging against the chainstay in the low gears, turned out the chain was too long. took out like 4 links, problem solved.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Remove the spring from your shock. Reinstall your shock. Compress it. Set your chain up.
    Make it IDIOT PROOF....and someone will make a better idiot!

Turbo Monkey
    FWIW shimano used to make little rubber boots to minimize the noise of the derailleur flapping around, for the old xt and xtr derailleurs. it should pop on and should work with the 105 rear derailleur if you keep that guy on there.

I've got nothin' for ya. I just thought I'd point out that "enlies" is not a word. fwiw, I have a Saint, a Demo 8 and a road cassette, and no problems. It's a known issue with HL bikes that some derailleurs hit the chainstay/pivot assembly, but I thought the new "shadow" configuration was supposed to solve that. Maybe you're due for the new XTR w/ the clutch thingy on it...

Quote Originally Posted by bizutch View Post
    Remove the spring from your shock. Reinstall your shock. Compress it. Set your chain up.
    Remove what spring slappy?

Quote Originally Posted by slyfink View Post
    I've got nothin' for ya. I just thought I'd point out that "enlies" is not a word. fwiw, I have a Saint, a Demo 8 and a road cassette, and no problems. It's a known issue with HL bikes that some derailleurs hit the chainstay/pivot assembly, but I thought the new "shadow" configuration was supposed to solve that. Maybe you're due for the new XTR w/ the clutch thingy on it...
    This ^^ . It's due to the extra forward movement that the old Shimano derailleurs have and the low pivot of the FSR design directly in front of the derailleur. Specialized and Shimano used to come with the black bumper, (similar to what you would see on the shocks on older FSR designs so the seatpost didn't blow a hole through the shock ie. Enduros) and this would either go on the FSR pivot, or the derailleur. Now, the derailleur would still hit, but it would dampen the amount of noise and the damage to both the frame and mech. The new Shadow derailleurs do not have this forward movement, and as a result, you can have cleaner shifting, less chain slap, and no more knocking on FSR designs.
    '12 Giant Glory * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * 70's Guerciotti

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by demo 9 View Post
    yes, i spent about 2 hours on it and couldnt get it to work properly, i guess its possible i could have missed something, but i highly doubt it
    2 hours eh?

Yet another reason to never drink the water while in NJ.

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wood booger View Post
    2 hours eh?

Yet another reason to never drink the water while in NJ.
    i drink the water. then again, i was like this before i moved here.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Quote Originally Posted by yuroshek View Post
    Remove what spring slappy?
    Oh yeah. It's the net. I need to draw pictures.

Remove the coil spring from the shock if you're going to properly set the correct chain length. Has this been done as yet?

He's putting a different derailleur on a bike than was on it prior, so his chain length will be different.

No sense in setting up all the limit screws and B tension screw if he hasn't got the correct chain length first.

It's just like when you wipe your arse. You grab the paper and assume there's something back there. Never take your palm and do a dry run first.
    Make it IDIOT PROOF....and someone will make a better idiot!

Quote Originally Posted by bizutch View Post
    Oh yeah. It's the net. I need to draw pictures.

Remove the coil spring from the shock if you're going to properly set the correct chain length. Has this been done as yet?

He's putting a different derailleur on a bike than was on it prior, so his chain length will be different.

No sense in setting up all the limit screws and B tension screw if he hasn't got the correct chain length first.

It's just like when you wipe your arse. You grab the paper and assume there's something back there. Never take your palm and do a dry run first.
    Air shock? I think that's what he was getting at.
    No matter how bad you think it is....it can ALWAYS get worse.

Grasshopper
    Jesus the horst link on the sx is low... There is a good chance that you'll get contact no matter what you do, even with correct b screw adjustment & chain length. I used to have this issue on my Nicolai Lambda with a link that wasn't as low as that. A Shadow or SRAM mech should have no problems, the rubber bumper is just a band-aid Shimano produced to alleviate the problem - it'll still drive you crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by C4dev View Post
    Jesus the horst link on the sx is low... There is a good chance that you'll get contact no matter what you do, even with correct b screw adjustment & chain length. I used to have this issue on my Nicolai Lambda with a link that wasn't as low as that. A Shadow or SRAM mech should have no problems, the rubber bumper is just a band-aid Shimano produced to alleviate the problem - it'll still drive you crazy...
    THANK YOU.
    '12 Giant Glory * '10 Specialized Pitch Pro * 70's Guerciotti

With deraileur set how it should be-no B tension set for a Road cassette (instructions-correct)

CAUSES THIS

if we shove it clockwise we can get a theoretical solution-it appears to work

While it wont hit the frame, it wont shift either-after even more messing with it and ANOTHER new cable + housing i am left with this as my "best" scenario.

starting in 9th
    8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
    (now down)
    Ghost-2-3-4-5-6-7-double(9th)

The derailur moves when it ghosts, however, no matter how i mess with the limit screws it wont make the shift. I cannot solve this locking out 1 2 or 9. I can reverse the problem to have it double 1 and 2, but i cannot get the double out.

*i also noticed a possible wormhole to another dimension, the shifter gets more clicks up compared to down. 8 up and 7 down. How is that even possible?

Last edited by demo 9; 09-27-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    Industry 9 wheels for sale