Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Monkey

Hardtail freeride

so heres the deal, i do dirt jumping and im looking to get into freeride, i dont have 2 grand to spend on a bike since im 15, i have a norco havoc, im just going to get a new frame and fork, willing to spend 500 on each or a little over. I live in toronto ontario and their really aint no big jumps over 12 feet that i have access to. Guys got suggestions? im looking at the banshee amp (frame) and the rock shox pike (fork). Looking for advise, thanks.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Make sure to look in classified on RM and check Craigslist in your area for the best deals!

Pike is a good fork, stiff, reliable (in my experience, owned two), and affordable. But it's not a DJ specific fork so it's not valved for big hits.

If you are picky it might be lacking high speed dampening. If your not picky it should be fine. Run it locked out with the floodgate all the way closed for jumping.

No exp with that frame sorry.

The Pike is a decent choice. I run a 409 & like it, even if it can be a bit excessive when it comes to brake dive. As for frames, I run a Sinister Ridge that is just SICK. I would not hesitate to suggest one to anybody. Eats up the Shore rather well. I had always considered the Banshee amp to be a DJ frame. How about a Transition Vagrant?
    --Pass the flour.

Chimp
    banshee morphine. i have one w/ a pike and it works great its actually for sale. the pike i find needs to be set up stiff to work well but otherwise its a great frame fork combo.
    pm me for spec list if youre interested

i'm about to throw a Transition Vagrant frame up for sale.. it was a super fun bike, sad to sell it. i'm replacing it with a fully though

great condition, pm if interested

Quote Originally Posted by blender View Post
    i'm about to throw a Transition Vagrant frame up for sale.. it was a super fun bike, sad to sell it. i'm replacing it with a fully though

great condition, pm if interested

Don't sell it, you are going to regret it. Our fullies rarely see the daylight since we build the hardtails.

For a fr-hardtail, I would suggest 160+ mm fork. (domain, 66, drop-off, etc...)

I second a Banshee Morphine. The geo is extremely versatile. I had my Morphine paired with a Marzocchi Z150fr (130mm-150mm) worked great. The frame will take everything you can throw at it.

Oh and just a thought....

I am selling both my frame and fork.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/522247/

i like the amp, although it is more of a dirtjump type hardtail with a low bottom bracket height, never the less a great frame. the pike is also a good option, look into the argyle if you want a little more brutality factor.

an argyle or pike with a amp would make a nice all-round ride

The Morphine is a cool bike, but it is really heavy and has gussets on its gussets. You won't break it, but it might just break you.
    --Pass the flour.

A medium Morphine weighs 6.5lbs. Sure that's a little much for an aluminum frame but nothing crazy when compared to cromo.

Chimp
    I've got a surly instigator set up with an older z130 fork.The surly is a jack of many trades(not all though)For trail jamming and flowy freeride, it is great.It also serves me well for urban and dirt jump. From time to time, I put on a 36 talas, and that combo works great as well. Gets a little squirrely when trying to downhill real fast, but otherwise a great little frame.

Second the Sinister Ridge.....

I second the Sinister Ridge, but I like the DNA as much. Sinister rocks! R9 in my stable and looking at the F-Bomb.

Grasshopper
    Quote Originally Posted by bohorec View Post
    Don't sell it, you are going to regret it. Our fullies rarely see the daylight since we build the hardtails.

For a fr-hardtail, I would suggest 160+ mm fork. (domain, 66, drop-off, etc...)
    Do you still have the vagrant? if so what size and condition is it in? pix? and last how much are you asking? thanks

More about the Sinister Ridge: Just swapped my Lyrik over to it (160mm) and the bike absolutely came alive. I just got back from a rip down Fromme (Lower Ladies, back up to Ladies Only to Skull - not exactly the most mellow trails, even by Shore standards) and the bike handled everything easily. I am amazed how close it feels to my Splinter. I thought I'd be kicked all over the place, but nope. The bike tracks like it is suspended but accelerates like a bat out of hell.

I thought I would keep this build on it while the Splinter gets serviced, but I think I might just keep it on there anyway.
    --Pass the flour.

Check out lucky 13 bikes the can make frames to your custom geometry. The guy that makes them really knows his stuff.

http://www.lucky13bikes.com/home