Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monkey

Rigid Fork, Why?

I hear everyone saying that a rigid fork makes you a smoother rider. Is this true and why? I would think its because it makes you choose smoother lines or something? I'm planning on getting rid of my SXr and putting a Kona Project 2 fork on.

let me know

byron
    www.whackcycles.com

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    No.
    It's a lie for cheap people, just like the whole ss thing.

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
    It just makes you more hardcore and gets you dirty looks from people who read MBA.

The Ito

You learn not to rely on that crutch called suspension and start picking better lines and sharpening your bike handling skills.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw.com
    One speed bikes. Beer. Music.

White Rock, British Columbia ... more millionairs per capita than anywhere else in Canada
    i was a much better rider on my 19" kona stuff with a rigid fork than i was on my 6x6 stab. it does really make you a better rider, if u dont learn, you'll get hurt
    So many bikes!

Chimp
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    You learn not to rely on that crutch called suspension and start picking better lines and sharpening your bike handling skills.
    Very true but man, I gotsta be honest I wasn't fast enough on it to hang with my friends who were suspended. It is a lesson in bike handling and it'll show you how godawful sloppy you can be, just w/ front suspension (let alone dual)! It is damn fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by ito View Post
    It just makes you more hardcore and gets you dirty looks from people who read MBA.

The Ito
    It also fun to ride rigid SS and make your friends (on geared fullys)sad when they cant keep up. :biggrin:

Rigid > its pure, old school, its more real/direct..not sure how to explain that point, more fun, simpler, sometimes more control (ie fast corners)

I rode with a Karate Monkey fork for a bit. I loved how the bike felt with it in terms of steering precision - it was harsh though. I should have given it more time.

I'm going rigid again on a 69er project though. We'll see how a Zion fork from Jenson USA stacks up against the KM.

my first two mt bikes were rigid, steel bikes. The term "full-rigid" wasn't muttered as people might have thought you were talking about something else.
    a rich college buddy had the first suspension fork in the group; a ControlTech fork. We called it 'robobike'. The fork everyone lusted for was a Cannondale "Pepperoni". I was bummed when I bought my 3rd mt bike because nothing came with a rigid fork. Ended up with a Rocky Mountain Hammer race with a Marz. something or other on the front.

The more rigid you can use to get into the sport with the better for picking lines and developing smoothness but those skills transfer and the general school of thought is that you'll be faster on any bike if you have some solid saddle time on a rigid bike.
    Anymore I just get too fatigued and the trails I ride the most have been more fun on the 5Spot. Besides, now I use my hands to make a living and sore wrists would not jive well for the work week.

talks too much
    (I just realized this is another back from the dead thread, but who cares...) Rigid is just more fun sometimes. Bikes get so complex and high-tech that taking a step back from all the new stuff can enhance the experience and provide you with a new challenge.

Not sure that I really buy the whole "it makes you pick smoother lines/makes you a faster rider" deal. I ride my cross bike on the same trails I do my prophet and the cross bike makes me go slower because of the different lines I have to take....when I hop on the fully I don't take those lines, though; it's faster just to run into stuff.

[QUOTE=JRogers;2343527
    Not sure that I really buy the whole "it makes you pick smoother lines/makes you a faster rider" deal. I ride my cross bike on the same trails I do my prophet and the cross bike makes me go slower because of the different lines I have to take....when I hop on the fully I don't take those lines, though; it's faster just to run into stuff.[/QUOTE]

Notice that my post says nothing about going faster despite your "quote". Picking better lines and developing smoothness doesn't necessarily mean you're going to go fast.

Because I am too cheap and lazy to put a bouncy fork on my Unit...
    (Hee hee, Unit! Hee hee)
    Plus I actually like it and how it climbs and corners.
    Someday, I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Because I am too cheap and lazy to put a bouncy fork on my Unit...
    (Hee hee, Unit! Hee hee)
    Plus I actually like it and how it climbs and corners.

JohnE just likes pain and to suffer.

Hell he's a Blackhawks fan! After the pain and suffering endured watching the Hawks, riding rigid probably seems like a cakewalk! :biggrin:

Without dropping too much money, which forks on the market off the most comfort?
    Hookers and blow.
    Quote Originally Posted by reflux View Post
    The Reflux is being in agreement with your advices.

Quote Originally Posted by reflux View Post
    Without dropping too much money, which forks on the market off the most comfort?
    I'll be able to report on the Zion 26er shortly.

[IMG][/IMG]