Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Turbo Monkey Mr Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,494
    Rep Power
    5

    Turn off your smartyl phone.

    Question for you tech guru's out there.

    Is it a good practice to do a power cycle (on, off, on) with your phone at least once a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by mandown View Post
    The Lounge @ Ridemonkey - If we can't help you, we will. But, when we can help you, we won't.

  2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
  3. #2
    I come bearing GIFs Arkayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,701
    Rep Power
    10
    Not unless you are experiencing funky wonkiness come end of week. If that's the case, you might have some underlying issue.

    Power cycling/restarting used to be a earlier Windows routine. Not so much anymore if you are running a modern os.

  4. #3
    i heart mac syadasti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    11,100
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkayne View Post
    Not unless you are experiencing funky wonkiness come end of week. If that's the case, you might have some underlying issue.

    Power cycling/restarting used to be a earlier Windows routine. Not so much anymore if you are running a modern os.
    Actually its no different today with any OS, there are still memory leaks and bugs especially with third party applications which can necessitate a reboot. Memory management has improved but they aren't immune especially with so many lines of code/developers involved and the more limited hardware specs found on smartphones.
    Last edited by syadasti; 09-30-2011 at 09:22 AM.

  5. #4
    Space Monkey DaveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Maupuia, Poneke, Te Ika-a-Māui
    Posts
    7,600
    Rep Power
    11
    lol I don't get a choice about turning the phone off every few days..... bloody Nokia N97's symbian starts fu*king up and running slower and slower after3-4 days usually by day 5 the screen stops working (software not firmware as it starts working fine again..... As the phone shuts down).
    _______________________________

    Monkey business........
    _______________________________

  6. #5
    Cranky Pants H8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,965
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    lol I don't get a choice about turning the phone off every few days..... bloody Nokia N97's symbian starts fu*king up and running slower and slower after3-4 days usually by day 5 the screen stops working (software not firmware as it starts working fine again..... As the phone shuts down).
    I just jumped to Android from an S60 device. Dude, get off Nokia right away, you'll be sooo happy.

  7. #6
    Space Monkey DaveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Maupuia, Poneke, Te Ika-a-Māui
    Posts
    7,600
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by H8R View Post
    I just jumped to Android from an S60 device. Dude, get off Nokia right away, you'll be sooo happy.
    And I am.... LG P920 Optimus 3D running the 2.2.2 'droid.
    Loving it except for the app's don't quit, so to stop them chewing thru the battery I have to use the application manager to shut them down after using them which is mildly annoying.
    _______________________________

    Monkey business........
    _______________________________

  8. #7
    gets infinity MPG woodsguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sutton, MA
    Posts
    1,244
    Rep Power
    4
    I got a Windows Phone last Febuary and since the NoDo update in the spring (on Mango now) the only time I had to restart it is when I installed a 32gb card. Rock solid with zero memory leaks. Background apps are controlled very well so no need for an app manager. Plus, no malware!

  9. #8
    gets infinity MPG woodsguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sutton, MA
    Posts
    1,244
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
    I got a Windows Phone last Febuary and since the NoDo update in the spring (on Mango now) the only time I had to restart it is when I installed a 32gb card. Rock solid with zero memory leaks. Background apps are controlled very well so no need for an app manager. Plus, no malware!

    I must have jinxed myself because I had to reset my phone today! My 3G stopped working. Must be all the switching on/off airplane modes on my last trip. But I don't blame the OS, it seems like a Samsung issue.

  10. #9
    Turbo Monkey Sghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,075
    Rep Power
    3
    Its a Samsung issue.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •