Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50
  1. #31
    unique white person stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    22,711
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Just wear your wife's jeans, and makeup.
    buy these?

    This wasn't exactly a rock show. It was an act of sorcery.
    description of nick cave show

  2. #32
    the teste Westy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Floating 1000 feet offshore
    Posts
    24,602
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    buy these?

    Do they make a turtleneck version? Sleeves are for pussies.
    (\_/)
    (.)
    c()()

  3. #33
    Cranky Pants H8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,980
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    will you be able to pass the smug test?
    Just sharpen a pencil in your own asshole like every other Apple fan boy can do.

  4. #34
    unique white person stevew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    22,711
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by H8R View Post
    Just sharpen a pencil in your own asshole like every other Apple fan boy can do.
    i'm hurt.

    but i'm strictly a quill & inkwell motherfvcker.

  5. #35
    Turbo Monkey canadmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Power
    3
    It's a lot easier to find out what your problem is if you use a multimeter to back probe the connections on your mother board. At least then you could tell where the general area of the problem is.

    When you turn it on does the hard drive spin? Does the CPU fan turn on? Does it beep? Do nothing at all?

    [edit] Nevermind, I see you have already answered these. Just like the power on switch (there is also a power good signal that must be made from your mother board to PSU for it to start..), another simple thing that could happen is some power supplies have a switch on the back. Try flicking it if yours has one. I know one of my old computers had this and I could not for the life of me figure out why the computer would not turn on it. It was almost like a built in breaker switch.

    My hardware professor has taught us that its just easier to replace crap than it is to repair it.
    Last edited by canadmos; 02-16-2012 at 03:17 PM.

  6. #36
    Eastcoast Softcore narlus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    behind the viewfinder
    Posts
    24,594
    Rep Power
    16
    so i took a closer look at the problem w/ the panels off the machine...looks like the power supply is at least getting some power to the unit, as the back network connection jack LED and MoBo LED light up when the PS is on.

    pushing the main power button makes the front drive LEDs flash momentarily, but fans don't spin up.


    off to get another machine...my tolerance for troubleshooting PC problems is pretty fvcking tiny.


    i did manage to pull off the cooling fan to check out the CPU and all the heat transfer paste was caked and dry, and it looked like there was some dust that managed to get in there...maybe i could try re-seating the CPU and reapplying the paste to see if that helps.

  7. #37
    Cranky Pants H8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,980
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by narlus View Post
    i did manage to pull off the cooling fan to check out the CPU and all the heat transfer paste was caked and dry, and it looked like there was some dust that managed to get in there...maybe i could try re-seating the CPU and reapplying the paste to see if that helps.
    If you want, you can ship the machine to me and I'll see if I can resurrect it. Consider it payment for photographic services. (pull the hard drive before it ships)

  8. #38
    Eastcoast Softcore narlus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    behind the viewfinder
    Posts
    24,594
    Rep Power
    16
    appreciate the offer but i don't think it's worth it.

    i might try to salvage it later but i need a functioning machine pretty quickly.

  9. #39
    find me a tampon Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    10,892
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by narlus View Post
    so i took a closer look at the problem w/ the panels off the machine...looks like the power supply is at least getting some power to the unit, as the back network connection jack LED and MoBo LED light up when the PS is on.

    pushing the main power button makes the front drive LEDs flash momentarily, but fans don't spin up.


    off to get another machine...my tolerance for troubleshooting PC problems is pretty fvcking tiny.


    i did manage to pull off the cooling fan to check out the CPU and all the heat transfer paste was caked and dry, and it looked like there was some dust that managed to get in there...maybe i could try re-seating the CPU and reapplying the paste to see if that helps.
    Unplug everything from the motherboard with the exception of the switches, the power supply, the CPU and the CPU cooler, and the RAM. Does it POST?

    If not, move the RAM to the other slots. Try it now?
    When the lights came up at two, I caught a glimpse of you and your face looked like something Death brought with him in his suitcase.

  10. #40
    Eastcoast Softcore narlus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    behind the viewfinder
    Posts
    24,594
    Rep Power
    16
    ended up getting a Dell....had 'em pop in a 120GB SSD and more RAM. should get it tmrw from Micro Center

  11. #41
    Turbo Monkey canadmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,191
    Rep Power
    3
    You say the fans didn't turn on (I know you already got a new computer, but yeah..), is the cpu fan plugged in? I'm almost positive that almost all computers won't start if the motherboard detects that the CPU fan isn't spinning.

    If you can pinpoint the problem on this one you could use it as a dedicated backup machine on your home network. Comes in handy sometimes.

  12. #42
    Eastcoast Softcore narlus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    behind the viewfinder
    Posts
    24,594
    Rep Power
    16
    0 for 2....

  13. #43
    Cranky Pants H8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,980
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by narlus View Post
    0 for 2....
    Eh. It happens.

    You bought it at a store though? Raise some hell, have them make it right.

  14. #44
    Cranky Pants H8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,980
    Rep Power
    13
    In the meantime....baby pandas.

    Attachment 110283


    Better?

  15. #45
    Eastcoast Softcore narlus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    behind the viewfinder
    Posts
    24,594
    Rep Power
    16
    maybe they can fix it for me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •