what is meant by "thru axle"?

What is meant by a thru axle? I noticed that the Santa Cruz Heckler is available with a choice of forks, one of which is a Sherman Firefly, and another is a Sherman Firefly with thru axle. What's the differnce?

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Strangely intrigued by Echo mrbigisbudgood's Avatar
    20mm style hollow axle that gets clamped by each fork leg and through the hub. Like what a motorcycle has. Mush stiffer and stronger design then the typical QR dropout.

Look at one of the fork manufacturers websites for examples.
    Jag kommer att dricka l.

System That Records All Vain Activity

Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
    ... Mush stiffer and stronger design then the typical QR dropout ...
    So… which is it? Mushier or stiffer?
    "It is not uncommon to see people drinking beer as early as 10am. Beer is integral part of the culture. We love Culture!" ~Deyv

Originally posted by Tweek
    lol

The spelling police.

Jag kommer att dricka l.

Originally posted by Tweek
    Is my browser hosed or are your clever attempts to post odd ASCII characters failing miserably?
    We do what we must because we can.

Chimp
    STIFFER

20mm stops your 8 inch hayes from ripping your fork apart. It also is way more secure. My psylo needs 2 qr's undone before the axle can be unscrewed. If I needed to, I could finish a race with those qr's undone, it really is that secure. The hex lock system featured on Manitou is even more secure. The marz 20mm systems are much more confusing, as there is so many of them to get.

What it boils down to is that 20mm is the future, an already accepted standard, and if you have the chance to get it, do.

I am speaking from a semi freeride perspective, but I XC race as well, and having one less component to worry about is something I like.

Originally posted by ATN
    STIFFER

20mm stops your 8 inch hayes from ripping your fork apart. It also is way more secure. My psylo needs 2 qr's undone before the axle can be unscrewed. If I needed to, I could finish a race with those qr's undone, it really is that secure. The hex lock system featured on Manitou is even more secure. The marz 20mm systems are much more confusing, as there is so many of them to get.

What it boils down to is that 20mm is the future, an already accepted standard, and if you have the chance to get it, do.

I am speaking from a semi freeride perspective, but I XC race as well, and having one less component to worry about is something I like.

its really completely unnecessary for xc riding of any sort. Its really alot like the idea of a 1.5 head tube. Its a great advancement for Freeriding but really overkill for xc

Chimp
    Originally posted by Ifelloffabike
    its really completely unnecessary for xc riding of any sort. Its really alot like the idea of a 1.5 head tube. Its a great advancement for Freeriding but really overkill for xc
    For competitive XC, it's a no-no. I however, am I one bike guy living near the shore, riding shore style trails (not hucking tho) and having that strength is good for me. I get my XC traits from riding up the mountain.

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists MikeD's Avatar
    Only disadvantage I can see for XC racing is the time needed to take the wheel off...but there are various QR solutions to this. (At least Marzo found a decent one for 03...)

The hubs can be lighter, even if the axle is heavier...

It might not be a necessity, but it doesn't hurt.

MD
    10 baby seals to death, I spent to publish this news. What kind of a savage race to provide free medical care to those barbarians?

Originally posted by MikeD
    ...but there are various QR solutions to this. (At least Marzo found a decent one for 03...)

Have you used the '03 QR20 setup? There is nothing quick about this setup, but it is better than the Rock Shox Tullio QR20.
    Jag kommer att dricka l.

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists MikeD's Avatar
    Well, I was comparing it to the 02 QR20+, which is the least convenient way to get around the 'incovenience' of a traditional setup that I've EVER seen...and it doesn't require any tools now...

MD
    10 baby seals to death, I spent to publish this news. What kind of a savage race to provide free medical care to those barbarians?

Chimp
    I stand by my Tullio. The wheel is out in 30 seconds... no tools.

No other company did that in 2001 without sacrificing secondary wheel retention.