Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Catholic vs. Christian

what's the actual difference?
    I was raised/baptized as a cathoilic and went to a catholic school.
    The bible seem to be the same. We have Saints (we don't need that many I'm sure) and Blessed Virgin Mary (which I noticed is often or completely ignored by Christians). We have the rosary, christians don't. So my question is, are Christians (beliefs and practices) and Catholics really that different? My Baptist Church friend thinks so....he won't show any regards to Catholic beliefs bec we follow different scriptures and the image of our God is different..huh? I need enlightenment...

But Catholic churches do have nice interior ambience, I'd give them that.....

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_capr.htm

Almost every christian (majority like bap's,metho's,presby's,luther's,naza's etc..) believe these are cults, reason is because it's dangerous, non-traditional beliefs basically we find that these listed do not believe what it says in the original bible (kinda like they made there own phony stuff do stuff that's totally out of bible)

List: (Catholic, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the "Mormon church), the Unification church, Christian Science, Jehovah's Witnesses.)

Reminder: Im not saying these guys are baddy just saying the majo. of protestant believe that it's a fact to them.

Obviously everyone has there own opinion.

Last edited by Babar; 06-28-2002 at 06:51 PM.

Somewhere near 37 degrees, 19 minutes North, and 76 degrees, 45 minutes West

I got it

I can field this one. Catholics, by and large, ARE Christians. The problem lies within some of the things that SOME Catholics/Catholic organizations practice. (Not all of them practice these things.) For instance, not all do this, but quite a few Catholics pray TO the Virgin Mary. That's straight up wrong, according to the Bible, and as we know, Christians believe the Bible is the divinely-inspired word of God. We pray to God/Jesus, which it specifically says to do in the Bible (I can find examples if you want 'em.) Some also pray to the saints.....that's also wrong. Nothing wrong with honoring the saints, and the Virgin Mary. But when you PRAY to them, you're putting them in God's/Jesus's place, and that is not right.

Does this mean they're not Christian? No. ALL that is required to be a Christan is to repent of your sins, recognize that you need a Savior, and accept Jesus as your savior. That's it.

(Side note....I'm NOT preaching. I'm stating what the Bible states you have to do to become a Christian.)
    [THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK]

That old creepy farmhouse you thought was deserted.

Re: I got it

Originally posted by fourgivn1
    For instance, not all do this, but quite a few Catholics pray TO the Virgin Mary. That's straight up wrong, according to the Bible, and as we know, Christians believe the Bible is the divinely-inspired word of God. We pray to God/Jesus, which it specifically says to do in the Bible (I can find examples if you want 'em.) Some also pray to the saints.....that's also wrong. Nothing wrong with honoring the saints, and the Virgin Mary. But when you PRAY to them, you're putting them in God's/Jesus's place, and that is not right.
    I think you should understand that the Virgin Mary and the saints are not revered as God/Jesus for Catholics. When Catholics pray to them, they are asking for their help in approaching God/Jesus. They are regarded as messengers, and some saints serve a specific purpose in helping an individual by asking God for help in their behalf--i.e. St. Christopher is the saint of travellers, St. Jude the saint of lost things. You won't see a congregation saying the "Our Father" and inserting "St. Francis" in for the "Father" word. Granted, there is the "Hail Mary" prayer, but this is of praise of how magnificent a role she had in God's plan. So, to clear this all up, Mary and the saints are not put in God/Jesus' place.
    Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red.

Don't mess with the Santas ummbikes's Avatar

Re: Re: I got it

Originally posted by LeatherFace

I think you should understand that the Virgin Mary and the saints are not revered as God/Jesus for Catholics. When Catholics pray to them, they are asking for their help in approaching God/Jesus. They are regarded as messengers, and some saints serve a specific purpose in helping an individual by asking God for help in their behalf--i.e. St. Christopher is the saint of travellers, St. Jude the saint of lost things. You won't see a congregation saying the "Our Father" and inserting "St. Francis" in for the "Father" word. Granted, there is the "Hail Mary" prayer, but this is of praise of how magnificent a role she had in God's plan. So, to clear this all up, Mary and the saints are not put in God/Jesus' place.

Christians don't need an in between to get to God. The blood that was shed by Jesus when he was crucified paid our debt, and sanctified us to God. So basicly were allowed to talk to God as we are cleansed by the previously mentioned blood.

Now about this blood. When Catholics take communinion they beleive that the wine and bread literally are Jesus. Some prodestant churches also beleive this too. Which is icky. But who am I to say?

Anyhow as of late the differences are growing smaller.

Thing is that it cleary states in bible that no one is needed ( meaning no need for messenger stuff) you will go through no one.

If im praying why would i want to go through someone ? When i can directly talk and listen to G,J,HS

I want personal realtionship with God,Jesus and holy spirit...
    not mary or some saint...

Originally posted by Babar
    Thing is that it cleary states in bible that no one is needed ( meaning no need for messenger stuff) you will go through no one.

If im praying why would i want to go through someone ? When i can directly talk and listen to G,J,HS

I want personal realtionship with God,Jesus and holy spirit...
    not mary or some saint...

I'm just telling you what Mary and the saints mean to Catholics...this is how they view them, as messengers, like angels and the like. You may not agree, but this is how Catholics view them.

Re: Catholic vs. Christian

Originally posted by Orven
    The bible seem to be the same. We have Saints (we don't need that many I'm sure) and Blessed Virgin Mary (which I noticed is often or completely ignored by Christians). We have the rosary, christians don't. So my question is, are Christians (beliefs and practices) and Catholics really that different? My Baptist Church friend thinks so....he won't show any regards to Catholic beliefs bec we follow different scriptures and the image of our God is different..huh? I need enlightenment...

I didn't read what everybody else has replied, but basically Catholocism is a branch of christianity, along with baptists, Protestants, Calvanists, Methodists, Lutherans, Mormons and the list goes on to cover other sects and cults such as the Branch Davideans who went ablaze in Wacko texas.

And so you are right, they are the same. However, remember that just b/c it is a sect of Christianity, it is not christianity itself, but an interpretation of the bible that many people follow.
    I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
    -Jack, Fight Club

www.eastsidefreeride.com

Re: Re: Re: I got it

Originally posted by ummbikes

Now about this blood. When Catholics take communinion they beleive that the wine and bread literally are Jesus. Some prodestant churches also beleive this too. Which is icky. But who am I to say?

Yeah, my dad flipped when I told him that communion was "ritualized cannibalism."

Re: Re: I got it

Originally posted by LeatherFace

Actually, I understand that perfectly. (No I'm not being mean....I do understand it. ) There is nothing wrong with honoring a saint, or the Virgin Mary, etc. You will also notice that I said SOME Catholics....not all Catholics do it. There's nothing wrong with giving respect/recognition to her for her part in God's plan.

BUT, there ARE Catholics who revere the Virgin Mary almost as much as they do Jesus/God. My grandmother (and her entire church) is an example. And even if they did not revere her as much, the fact that they pray to ANYONE but God/Jesus alone is wrong, according to the Bible.

For me, a lot of Christians nowadays (even some within my own church) tend to depend way too much on tradition. For instance, I go to a Baptist church, and Baptists are known for having a committee for every little stinkin' thing. *LOL* The Bible, to me, is the word of God, and if something that ANY church teaches - including my own church - does not line up with it, then it is wrong.

I personally feel that saint and mary and pope is just an idol, in bible it says you will have no idol before me. And i come from very conservative family(calvinist) so i tend to be harsh in someways...

haha

Hear hear Babar. *L* I'd agree.

heh ....

Re: Catholic vs. Christian

Originally posted by Orven

Catholics consider themselves Christians. Lutherans consider themselves Christians. Baptists consider themsevles Christians. Jehovahs consider themselves Christians. MORMONS consider themselves Christians. It isn't just Christians and Cathlics. You call a person Christians based on their faith that there is only one God and that that one God sent Christ to forgive our sins. That is the basis of Christianity. How each group of people interpret their experiences and the bible is gonna define them as Lutherans, Cathlics, Baptists, etc....

Of all the sects of Christianity...I have the biggest issue with the Mormons. Granted within the Mormon community there will be extremes as to how far they go to the point where they'd be labeled as a cult but the Mormon community is EXTREMELY TIGHT KNIT. So when someone shares horrible experiences within the heart of the Mormon community, ie Salt Lake City, Utah, I have little doubt that they are lying (www.exmormon.org). Perhaps they may have exaggerated their experiences and that "things" have been toned down a bit, but adding another book to the Bible? That's reeking a big "BS" to me. This by no means is a judgement on those who believe in the book of latter day saints. I just don't share your views on Christianity as you don't share anyone else's view on Christianity. BTW, I grew up near a Mormon and church and what really got to me is that there were A LOT of pretty girls going in and out of that place. Then I'd go to the United Methodist Church and just hung my head in disappointment.
    Brian

Heh ibismojo i have to agree there some hot mormon girls...

*cough* theres this presbyterian (i won't name it) church with lots of hot girls...