SRAM Quick-Disconnect Chain Link?

I've been using a SRAM chain for well over a year now and it's fantastic . . . the quick-disconnect link allows me to remove the chain quickly . . . now, I can quickly remove the chain, clean it thoroughly, lube it and toss it back on the bike in no time . . . I've never had any problems whatsoever with the SRAM chains and my drivetrain is staying much cleaner than it ever has been before . . .

. . . so . . .

. . . I have a new bike that came with a Shimano 9 speed chain . . . and I have a new, unused 8 speed SRAM chain in my basement . . .
    • can I use the SRAM 8 speed chain disconnect link on my Shimano 9 speed chain
    • do I have to go buy a 9 speed disconnect link to use instead
    • should I just buy another SRAM 9 speed chain for my new bike?

Thanks,

OD
    Last edited by Old_Dude; 11-05-2003 at 01:37 AM.
    How did my g/f end up with condom breath?

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 9 speed was smaller than 8 speed. Then again I'm in 7 speed land(geez even thats advanced for me, im used to 21 speed road and 18 speed mtb)but at least i dont have to deal with grip shift or rapidfire.. uhh oh here comes the shifter rant...

P.S. downtube shifters RULE on the road

i have heard some say they use a Powerlink with Shimano chains...SRAM says it's a no-no, but eh, what would you expect.

personally, i'd go buy a PC99 'cause i love this chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkshirtphotos View Post
    im not even that dumn

You definitely have to get a 9sp Powerlink at the very least.

Personally I'd just get a new SRAM chain but if you wanna use up the Shimano I guess that's cool too....

You aren't "supposed" to put a SRAM Powerlink on a Shimano chain but I've heard from a lot of people who do it.

Yeah . . . I'll just get a chain . . . I hate to spend anutha 20 bucks tho . . .

. . . no . . . I'm beyond cheap . . .

you NEED to get another chain, 8spd chains don't work with 9sp drivetrains.
    "... Nothin' but Blue Sky"

Originally posted by Matt D
    you NEED to get another chain, 8spd chains don't work with 9sp drivetrains.
    He doesn't have an 8 speed chain though, only an 8 speed powerlink, which won't work with 9 speed chains.

9 speed (gold) powerlinks work perfectly with 9 speed Shimano chains. I run them together on one of my bikes, and ran 8 speed powerlinks and Shimano chains together for years before I finally realized how much better Sram chains are. I have broken at least a dozen Shimano chains, but never once have I broken the powerlink that was on them, or any of the links immediately on each side of the powerlink.

Powerlinks usually go for $4 or so, so you might save more money in the long run if you can find a 9 speed Sram chain on sale. I bought several pc-59s from Nashbar for $12 each a few months back.
    Originally posted by Old_Dude
    Actually, the nutritional content of Krispy Kreeme donuts is really very high, plus they're low in sugar, low fat, packed with vitamins - the perfect food, actually.

. . . you might save more money in the long run if you can find a 9 speed Sram chain on sale.
    Thanks . . . I really didn't think the 8 speed powerlink would work but then you don't really know until you ask . . . right?

Happy cycling,

OD

If you actually look at the size of each chain, the 8spd chain is 3/32" where 9spd chains are supposedly 11/128" (according to the box housing a SRAM 9spd chain). Now, 1/128" shouldn't make a huge difference, am I right?

Go for it dude, it shouldn't make a huge difference.
    I didn't do it, you can't prove anything!

Monkey
    SRAM powerlink works on Shimano chains. The powerlink comes in two versions: 8spd silver and 9spd gold. So get the silver one, it'll only cost you about 4 bucks.

Turbo Monkey
    Shimano chains are the devil, save yourself headaches and just run a SRAM chain from the start.

Chimp
    i don't know what everyone else said becouse i didn't read but 8 speed chains are wee bit wider than 9 speed so the link may not stay on as there would be just a bit of play between the link and the chain. you'd probably have a tough time with the wider link catching the larger cog too. that would be a pain in the arse. i'm sure you LBS will give you a 9spd link. it will work with a shimano, that's what i'm using works fine. i've never had a chain last a year though, specially a shimano. there good for a month before they snap.