should i loctite brake rotor bolts?

i was told by someone i don't recall to [blue] loctite the bolts when installing my brake rotors. what's the consensus on this?

I'm a fairly large guy (6'3" 185 lbs) but i'm not doing downhill or anything...this is my xc bike with 160mm hayes disc brakes.
    I smoke crack for big miles.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Monkey
    I dont, but i just check them periodically to make sure they are still tight.
    Wanna ride, Wanna build, hit me up
    Bikes: Brodie Devo

okay thanks...I didn't think it was necessary but just wanted to reaffirm I wasn't flirting with disaster.

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail! IH8Rice's Avatar
    damn, if youre large at 6'3" 185lbs, i must be f-ing huge to you at 6'3" 225.

i didnt loctite my bolts, unless they came with some on there...just check them periodically.
    Originally Posted by Sandwich
    i schralped bus stop with a rear flat faster than jonkranked does it on his pretty expresso

Quote Originally Posted by IH8Rice View Post
    damn, if youre large at 6'3" 185lbs, i must be f-ing huge to you at 6'3" 225.

i didnt loctite my bolts, unless they came with some on there...just check them periodically.
    heh...well, I guess I was trying to point out that I'm not your typical 5'10 150 lbs. xc rider. oster_oops:

anywhoo thanks for the replies!

My rotor bolts & brake adapter hardware came with a patch already installed on them, which I do check periodically. I do loctite (246 blue) my headset, shifter, axle and some frame bolts.

Monkey
    all my rotor bolts have come with blue loctite on them, so it can't hurt. But I wouldn't use red loctite though.

yep, rotor bolts come with blue on them, and you should both loctite and check them once in a while. If a bolt gets loose, the bolt will first thrash the rotor then probably make the brake fail or lock the wheel

Grasshopper
    i would loctite them if they dont already have loctite on the threads. just make sure and use the blue

Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    yep, rotor bolts come with blue on them, and you should both loctite and check them once in a while. If a bolt gets loose, the bolt will first thrash the rotor then probably make the brake fail or lock the wheel
    ??? Not true at all. You will hear and feel loose bolts but they can't thrash the rotor. How would the brake fail and/or lock the wheel?

I loctite my bolts now on all of my bikes when installing rotors just to make sure that they have a little better hold on them. I do check them periodically though and some loosen even with loctite.

I've had bolts loosen and you can hear it, your brakes will squeal and the lever will usually feel a little different. Some people think that the caliper is loose or the pads are bad but it is sometimes simply loose rotor bolts.

It never hurts to throw some on each.
    Last edited by RUFUS; 03-21-2009 at 11:33 PM.
    www.RyanCathrall.com
    Action Sports Photographer
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rufus...04480642897968
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaaa31 View Post
    He makes stickers, making him an industry insider. Whatever he says is the truth.

I blue locktite them.

Your bolts will get sheared off before a rotor starts wobbling like crazy and mauls itself. Either of those is still pretty far fetched if you start with 6 tight bolts.

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!! Brian HCM#1's Avatar
    Yep, some come with it, however if there is none I use some grease. They never come loose and easy to remove in the future.
    Karpiel's in stock now!
    brian@karpiel.com www.karpiel.com

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by RUFUS View Post
    ??? Not true at all. You will hear and feel loose bolts but they can't thrash the rotor. How would the brake fail and/or lock the wheel?

I loctite my bolts now on all of my bikes when installing rotors just to make sure that they have a little better hold on them. I do check them periodically though and some loosen even with loctite.

I've had bolts loosen and you can hear it, your brakes will squeal and the lever will usually feel a little different. Some people think that the caliper is loose or the pads are bad but it is sometimes simply loose rotor bolts.

It never hurts to throw some on each.
    I've seen some crazy **** happen in my years of racing motorcycles and moutnain biking. There is no way you can say what will NOT happen if brake rotor bolts fall out. just lock tight them and check every now and then.