Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Monkey

pressing headset cups with grease

why do some people put grease on the inside of the headtube when pressing headset cups? i dont get it. surely you dont want to be greasing this kind of press fit? its not like you want it to come loose and who cares if its a slag to knock the headset cups out cause its not like you do it very often especially with cartridge style bearings that can be changed without replacing the cups.
    bye

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Permanent install methods is a good way to find out that you need buy a new frame because your $30 h/s went bad.

I don't it is critical to grease cups during installation. And if your headset moves, it ain't because of the grease.

But with any metal on metal contact, grease will minimize creaks, make the installation easier, and prevent seizure.
    Le Tour is Le Tour.

Monkey
    surely if your headset creaks and you aint used grease to press it then your headtubes on its way to being oval anyway?
    i can understand it with deep press headsets like king steelset etc but i dont really see the point on regular headsets
    bye

I don't disagree but there is no downside to using grease.
    Le Tour is Le Tour.

Necessary? Probably not. Any reason not to? No.

All interfaces between any metal parts on a frame need grease to prevent creaking and aid in installation. If the cups press in smoothly there is less chance of the HS or frame being damaged. It also acts as a seal to inhibit moisture from entering the frame. Aluminum corrodes people. Keep it clean and greased.

Only place on a bike where you DON'T put grease or lube is square taper BB's and of course grips. That's it.

Lube = easy in and easy out... EoS
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    ..She ends up preggo, and my first response is "Not mine! I never threw the ball that deep..."

Quote Originally Posted by H8R View Post
    Only place on a bike where you DON'T put grease or lube is square taper BB's and of course grips. That's it.
    I'm calling you on that one. You can't possibly want to put grease between your stem and bars... right?? Or even stem and steer tube.

Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    I'm calling you on that one. You can't possibly want to put grease between your stem and bars... right?? Or even stem and steer tube.
    Abso-fvcking-lutely. My bikes never creak.

some top mechanics will not grease headtubes/ headsets, if not most. it is a press fit system that relies on friction. these bikes are kept for a year, though, and go through hell. we've had a few discussions about this at the shop.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkshirtphotos View Post
    im not even that dumn

Quote Originally Posted by -dustin View Post
    some top mechanics will not grease headtubes/ headsets, if not most. it is a press fit system that relies on friction. these bikes are kept for a year, though, and go through hell. we've had a few discussions about this at the shop.
    Carbon is the obvious exception to greasing h/s, although there might be metal inserts for the headtube.

Actually, I've never installed a h/s into a carbon frame. I wonder if they are all made with integrated h/s's just for this reason.
    Le Tour is Le Tour.

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!! Brian HCM#1's Avatar
    I always use a white Teflon grease when pressing in headset cups. I guess that's why all the CK headsets I install DON'T creak. It definitely won't hurt.
    Karpiel's in stock now!
    brian@karpiel.com www.karpiel.com

Grasshopper
    Grease is for moving parts people. If you'resticking a headset, BB or anything else like that into a frame, you want to be using an anti-seize compound like copperslip.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro View Post
    I wonder if they are all made with integrated h/s's just for this reason.
    Stack height and fit.

The Colnago C50, though for example, takes a press-fit headset.

If it's a high-quality frame (read: not some Taiwanese catalog crap) built with tight tolerances, and pre-build prepped well, you don't need to use a drop of grease. Not necessarily "shouldn't". It's not going to cause any harm. Yes, it will make installation "easier" (as if pressing in a headset is all that hard). Yes, it will make hammering it out, should you ever need to, "easier".

Whether or not you grease your headset cups before you press them in has no bearing (pun not intended) on whether or not your headset creaks. Think about it.

Spend the money and buy a quality headset. Prep your frame. Install. Go ride!!
    :: wrenchscience ::

Monkey
    well im only saying this because when i was working at a shop we never did and i got a letoy3 frame and a blackspire headset from another shop and they used grease to press it and shortly after the headtube ovalised. no crashes only 120mm forks. and my boss said that it was partly because the headset was pressed with grease and partly because of cheap alu headtube. and ive just got a s/h sx trail and it has a hope headset pressed with grease and am worried that itll go the same way. im planning on taking the hope headset out and binning it and putting a pig in with cermaic bearings.
    bye