Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

K&N air filter = better gas mileage

For all those that want to save a little money on gas, here's a simple thing you can do to increase your gas mileage without much effort: Go to you local auto parts store and buy yourself a K&N air filter. These filters are different than your typical air filter and allow a lot more air into your engine, increasing both horsepower and gas mileage.

I drive an '03 Toyota Tacoma. Up until now, the best gas mileage I ever got was around 19 mpg, and that was 100% highway. Last week I went out and bought a K&N air filter. This morning I filled up for the first time since installing the new filter. By my calculations, I got 20.5 mpg. And that was driving apprximately 60% highway, 40% city. I won't know what my true highway gas mileage is until my next road trip, but I can guarantee that it'll be higher than 20.5 mpg.

The initial investment was a bit more than a regular filter. I paid $60 for the filter and recharger kit, whereas a typical filter for my truck runs around $15-$18. This thing is, I will never buy another filter again. These filters are guaranteed for 1 million miles and all you have to do is clean them once every 30K miles or so. I only need to keep my truck for another 80K miles before I've saved money simply on filters, let alone gas. And I definitely plan on keeping this truck until it dies, which could be a couple hundred thousand miles from now (I currently have 53K on it).

These filters won't double your gas mileage, but with prices the way they are now, every little bit helps.
    Its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Not the sharpest tool in the shed N8 v2.0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    For all those that want to save a little money on gas, here's a simple thing you can do to increase your gas mileage without much effort: Go to you local auto parts store and buy yourself a K&N air filter. These filters are different than your typical air filter and allow a lot more air into your engine, increasing both horsepower and gas mileage.

I drive an '03 Toyota Tacoma. Up until now, the best gas mileage I ever got was around 19 mpg, and that was 100% highway. Last week I went out and bought a K&N air filter. This morning I filled up for the first time since installing the new filter. By my calculations, I got 20.5 mpg. And that was driving apprximately 60% highway, 40% city. I won't know what my true highway gas mileage is until my next road trip, but I can guarantee that it'll be higher than 20.5 mpg.

The initial investment was a bit more than a regular filter. I paid $60 for the filter and recharger kit, whereas a typical filter for my truck runs around $15-$18. This thing is, I will never buy another filter again. These filters are guaranteed for 1 million miles and all you have to do is clean them once every 30K miles or so. I only need to keep my truck for another 80K miles before I've saved money simply on filters, let alone gas. And I definitely plan on keeping this truck until it dies, which could be a couple hundred thousand miles from now (I currently have 53K on it).

These filters won't double your gas mileage, but with prices the way they are now, every little bit helps.

I used one for about 5 years, but went back to the stock Toyota filters because they filter better.

I love NEWCASTLE and will ONLY drink NEWCASTLE!!!!!!!! SkaredShtles's Avatar
    <snip>And I definitely plan on keeping this truck until it dies, which could be a couple hundred thousand miles from now (I currently have 53K on it).
    If properly maintained, that Toy oughta last you 1/2 million miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by loco-gringo
    Texas sucks.

FWIW... there are numerous studies that show K&N air filters do a sub-par job filtering the air.

I would be willing to try it out on my wifes Jeep but I am to broke from putting gas in it to buy another filter.

I think I may bite the bullet and fill her tires up to 35lbs put in a K&N and see how much better the milage is over a couple of tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonpt
    FWIW... there are numerous studies that show K&N air filters do a sub-par job filtering the air.
    Well, how in the heck do you think they get all that air in there?
    Texas sucks.

Most people do not have their tire pressure set properly and can see 10% gains in mileage by doing so.
    (\_/)
    (°.°)
    c(”)(”)

JRB
    I need to check my air.

Monkey
    I used a K&N for a while & went back to a stock filter. The filter itself will not make much difference. I did, however, see pretty significant gains(1-2mpg & ~10 hp) with a cold air induction, intake & exhaust porting,headers, and a better exhaust system.

Quote Originally Posted by Raaar
    <snip>I did, however, see pretty significant gains(1-2mpg & ~10 hp) with a cold air induction, intake & exhaust porting,headers, and a better exhaust system.
    Ahhhhhahahhahahaha. How much gas could you have purchased with the money spent on those mods?
    Texas sucks.

I can't help but to think the K&N filter improving mileage is a bunch of crap. The filter allows more air to flow, more air requires more fuel. Unless this is confusing the cars computer and causing a leaner burn. So your engine is getting more air and fuel so you don't open the throttle as much and end up burning the same air and fuel you were before. Now you could argue that the engine is not working as hard to pull air through the filter but since your throttle is closed more it has to work harder to pull air through the throttle body.

What is probably happening is you have now been more concerned about mileage and are driving differently. Don't accelerate as hard and you burn less gas. You can also run more efficiently by shifting earlier, most engines are actually most efficient at low rpm's with a wide open throttle.
    (\_/)
    (°.°)
    c(”)(”)

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    If properly maintained, that Toy oughta last you 1/2 million miles.

I've got 203,000+ on my 1997 4Runner!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonpt
    Can you show me links to some of these studies? I'm genuinely interested and I don't want to do long term damage to my truck. If I've made a mistake, I'd like to know. I did a bunch of searching online before I bought the filter and only came up with anecdotal stuff, which was then refuted by more anecdotal stuff, but I didn't find any hard data saying that K&N filters would damage my motor.

Quote Originally Posted by westy
    What is probably happening is you have now been more concerned about mileage and are driving differently.
    I've been driving differently for several months now, and I'm positive that this last tank of gas lasted longer.
    Its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Can you show me links to some of these studies? I'm genuinely interested and I don't want to do long term damage to my truck. If I've made a mistake, I'd like to know. I did a bunch of searching online before I bought the filter and only came up with anecdotal stuff, which was then refuted by more anecdotal stuff, but I didn't find any hard data saying that K&N filters would damage my motor.

I've been driving differently for several months now, and I'm positive that this last tank of gas lasted longer.

I know there was a lot of info on the Toyota BBS a while back. Mostly applies if you live in an area that has a lot of dirt and dust in the air like the southwest etc...

I read a lot of stuff back when I cared about my truck. I don't have any of links anymore, but a lof them were posted on toyota BBSs... I'll see if I can dig them up.

FWIW, there are about a zillion things that can affect gas mileage - the fact that this tank of gas has lasted longer may or may not have anythign to do with an air filter. It looks like my current tank of gas is going to last me about 30 miles more than normal, and to my knowledge, nothing is different from this tank compared to the last 50 tanks I've run, but for some reason, my gas mileage is up noticably.
    Last edited by jacksonpt; 08-31-2005 at 12:10 PM.