Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Whistler vs. Morzine

Who would win in a fight?

Just kidding. I'm wanting to hear from everyone who has ridden at both places and what they think of them both.

Who thinks which is best....

I'll start: I've never been to Whistler. However, I have lived in Morzine for nearly 7 years now and can vouch honestly for this area.
    With 27 chairlifts open in the summer and so many DH, freeride and XC tracks here, you are spoiled for choice. Seriously, there is a lot of riding. However, to be fair, the video footage of Whistler show better a standard of tracks over there.

Let's hear it. Keep in mind this is the DH forum. I'm not interested in 30ft hucks to flat and skinnies/teeter-totters.
    I am a racer, as are most of you.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    I've ridden both and rate them both as excellent yet different experiences.

In Holland sticking my finger in a dike...
    I dont think more then 25% of the people who have ridden Portes Du Soleil have ridden the good tracks and have mostly stayed in the Les Gets, Morzine area riding the beat up tracks, so I dont think this is gonna be a fair comparison.

That said, Ive been to PDS a couple times and I rather drive 8hours in my van then fly to friggin Canada.
    The Portes Du Soleil area is more then good enough for me...
    Think.
    Its not illegal yet.

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D. big-ted's Avatar
    I'm lucky enough to have spent large amounts of time (one year plus) local to both.

Portes du Soleil: I love the fact that you can travel across multiple valleys. It adds to the feeling of getting out and exploring the terrain. That said, the place is COMPLETELY overun with English, most of the trails are very blown out, and the braking bumps verge on ridiculous at times. Lastly, there is a huge lack of genuinely challenging trails for advanced riders.

Whistler: Having so many trails off of the one lift line is both a virtue and a hindrance. You're far more likely to meet a friend in the lift line to chat to, but you inevitably spend more time in said lift line. Further, there definitely is a wider variety of better built trails to ride. Whistler also has a novel atmosphere about it, due to everything being centred around the resort. There's better nightlife and choice for places to eat, and there's usually a better selection of pretty girls hanging out in town, or riding the park. It suffers from it's own success though. Way too many kids with bandanas, wife-beaters and skinny jeans doing nothing but A-line and boneyard laps over and over again.

Which do I prefer? Dunno really. Probably Whistler for the amount of decent trails you can ride in a single day.

PDS ftw....haven't ridden whistler, but the one time I was in PDS with kevin was overwhelming. I think whistler is more for the dh/fr who just wants to have fun. PDS is more for the dh racer kind of guy who wants to have fun and train the racing skills. Plus PDS is less than 5 hours away from places like finale ligure, livigno, bellwald, and all the kick ass south of switzerland tracks.
    "never trust something that bleeds several days a month and doesn't die"-supported by: www.biroma.ch

MY FLICKR

Quote Originally Posted by big-ted View Post
    Portes du Soleil: I love the fact that you can travel across multiple valleys. It adds to the feeling of getting out and exploring the terrain. That said, the place is COMPLETELY overun with English, most of the trails are very blown out, and the braking bumps verge on ridiculous at times. Lastly, there is a huge lack of genuinely challenging trails for advanced riders.
    So many true statements....

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Plus PDS is less than 5 hours away from places like finale ligure, livigno, bellwald, and all the kick ass south of switzerland tracks.
    Yeah, there's no riding at all in BC outside of Whistler.....

Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    So many true statements....
    Only if you only ride the official trails. As Kevin said, the majority of PDS riders have never seen the good, challenging trails out there (Your Mum, Yeah Boy and the various other singletrack trails all over Pleney and Chavannes)
    If a man was standing in a forest, and no woman was around to hear him, would he still be wrong?

Yeah, there's no riding at all in BC outside of Whistler.....
    Just promoting the "local" spots...still, have to go to BC someday.
    "never trust something that bleeds several days a month and doesn't die"-supported by: www.biroma.ch

MY FLICKR

In Holland sticking my finger in a dike...
    Quote Originally Posted by scottishmark View Post
    Only if you only ride the official trails. As Kevin said, the majority of PDS riders have never seen the good, challenging trails out there (Your Mum, Yeah Boy and the various other singletrack trails all over Pleney and Chavannes)

That said, I do believe Whistler kicks PDSs ass when it comes to challenging DH tracks.
    I definitly want to go there some time...
    Think.
    Its not illegal yet.

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Damo View Post
    Who would win in a fight?
    http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...&word2=morzine

whistler gets it

Whistler is awesome, i try to get 15+ plus days a summer, then the spring and fall trips up there. trails are very fun and although the lift lines get long in mid summer its worth it once you get up top. to garbonzo i mean. its never really crowded up there because most of the terrain is over 75 percent of the riders heads up there. im not bashing anyone, its just nice to get away from the crowds, the views and quietness are amzing and the terrain is quite challeneging in areas. even riding at the park for 4 years now, and knowing every trail backwards and fowards it never really gets boring if you go to the very top because you can get in a nice 15-30 minute run depending how fast your going and if you take any breaks or not. seems to always be sloppy up there too, the slick, wet muddy roots/rocks makes it fun as hell. but at the same time you get the lucky spells of dry weeks up there

the popular trails, a line for example do get run down, but its nothing ever too bad.

sticking the diamond and double diamond are always a good bet, challenging and fun.

my vote for best trails
    crack addict (personal favorite)
    whistler downhill
    schleyer
    joyride
    side track
    dirt merchant
    in deep
    too tight
    d1
    rippin rutabega (spelling?)
    facrobat
    captain safety
    no joke
    duff man
    freight train
    goats gully
    original sin
    detroit rock city
    angry pirate
    crabapple hits

probly even missing a few here or there.

but theres no shortages of trails, and it never really gets boring. if you can i would say go, but avoid crankworx if you wanna avoid the huge crowds and lines
    Transition Bikes
    Sicklines
    Gamut USA

Quote Originally Posted by scottishmark View Post
    Well, it's been a while since I rode PDS, but I'd hazard to guess I rode most of the so-called "secret" stuff of the time, at least on the Swiss side and around Morzine. Maybe not so much around Les Gets. Still, I'd put Whistler a fair bit ahead in terms of challenging DH race-style trails. If you want trails that are challenging just to clean, let alone ride fast (ala Russ' backyard etc) then take a drive a few miles outside of Whistler and go nuts. I struggle to believe that anywhere on Earth could hold a candle to BC for such trails.

Actually, Damo, you and I may have met. Were you and your buddy (Jason?) at the Wiriehorn round of the IXS cup a few years ago? You had your Scaphoid in a cast and got DQ'd for not wearing body armour or something? I was the English guy on a red DHR...

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    My opinion: I hate you for having so much lift access.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

Actually, Damo, you and I may have met. Were you and your buddy (Jason?) at the Wiriehorn round of the IXS cup a few years ago? You had your Scaphoid in a cast and got DQ'd for not wearing body armour or something? I was the English guy on a red DHR...
    Haha... yep, that was me. They let me qualify for some reason (14th) in just raceshorts and a top (no armor whatsoever), but not race. Boy they were ****ty about it though! My kneepads were stolen from outside the van and I couldn't fit my upper armor over my cast.

I kinda get the impression that although the PDS (Portes du Soleil) is huge, there are more 'proper' DH tracks in Whistler.