Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Narrow/wide rings

People using them...what do you do for a bashguard? Do you not run one? Integrated iscg mount? conventional ring bash?

thinking about un derailleuring but don't want to lose rock smashy confidence.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    I've been using nothing(only 2 rides on it), but I'm seriously considering throwing on my traditional bashguard. This thing looks like a elegant solution if you have iscg mounts: http://www.mountainracingproducts.com/mrp/xcg/

I bought this guide for 20 bucks shipped on PB

Got out the dremel and cut the top half off and trimmed it up a bit to make it less bulky/lighter

Mounted it to the bike (didn't even have to take anything off, just slid right up and put two bolts through the chainring)

Took all of 15 mins, cost me 20 bucks and has saved my chainring numerous times.

I don't have mounts so i'd have to go BB mount, and that's lame. I was thinking about destroying the aluminum bashguard that I have, and running either a dual or single "taco" setup. It's just nice to have confidence that you can lift the front wheel and eat just about anything, but with 30t being the hot ticket, I wonder if I even need to worry.

This is my setup:

SixC triple crankset, granny removed, 32t WolfTooth ring, Straitline bash. I would have liked to run one of those AMG or similar, but the Mojo HD has no ISCG tabs. Either way, this setup has been bombproof since March. I've dropped two chains all year.

I gotta say I'm impressed with how my 30t raceface ring works. No chainguide, bash, anything. I may try to make a little bash, just in case, but so far the clearance has been good enough not to whack any logs.

edit: I just realized that your east coast roxzors may pose more of a threat than our west coast decomposed logs, so a bash may be more of a priority
    Last edited by 4130biker; 11-04-2013 at 01:21 PM.

No bash for me, and so far (well over 6 mos), no issues. Good number of front wheel induced rock shots to the BB area of the frame, but no damage to the ring. I also rarely hit my chainring on logs (thankfully), but on a the few occassions its happened, no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by profro View Post
    We don't work from the IMBA handbook. We try to make sustainable where forced but kick ass is really the only guideline we build to.

I haven't run a bash guard in a while with no issues here in western PA. On my Spitfire I currently have 1x9 with a MRP Lopes SL guide in the front which works well, but is a bit noisy. I am going to get a wide/narrow ring up front, a Shimano XT clutch rear derailleur, and try it with no guide or bash and see what happens.

Monkey
    I have been using a narrow wide chain ring from RF on my new Troy since I got it with a clutch derailleur. It has not fallen off once yet and no chainguide. I have done lots of xc trails and a couple dh jump trails. It seems like a great system.

-Brett

I have a narrow/wide chainring on my DH bike. For a bash, I have an MRP G3, which I just removed the upper guide, leaving a bash (and tensioner). A buddy did the same mod, but with a G2 guide which leaves him with only the bash. So, that's basically pretty similar to an MRP XCG (which you can get in BB mount). It's pretty much mattmatt's idea above of taking a standard chainguide and removing parts to leave you with just a bolt on taco.

Also, you can get an old chainring, remove the teeth on a belt sander if you have one available, or get a standard bash ring. Or, if you want something that looks lower profile (and lighter) than a standard bash, Shimano has a 1/2 bash:

The Wolftooth ring works really well. Clutch RD, but no addition retention (and on a hardtail).

Sammich, run your old bash if you're worried about it - not bad insurance for protecting a new ring.

yeah I'm not worried about retention. A single ring on an xc/trail bike, clutch der or not. I might be the last person on earth with a front derailleur, so losing some weight (lots of weight) would be pretty cool, and the heavy aluminum bash I have is probably part of that. I'm just wondering whether people are getting away without running a bash on a 30t, otherwise I'll continue to run mine or try and make some kind of hack job.

That saint piece is exactly what I want, but it doesn't appear to be available as a single unit.

Press Button, Receive Stupid jonKranked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    yeah I'm not worried about retention. A single ring on an xc/trail bike, clutch der or not. I might be the last person on earth with a front derailleur, so losing some weight (lots of weight) would be pretty cool, and the heavy aluminum bash I have is probably part of that. I'm just wondering whether people are getting away without running a bash on a 30t, otherwise I'll continue to run mine or try and make some kind of hack job.

That saint piece is exactly what I want, but it doesn't appear to be available as a single unit.
    i have a triple crank on my xc bike.

if you want some old saint bash guards to hack apart i have a box of them. hell, for a 6 pack i'll cut it up for you.
    set your sarcasm meter to Level 4:butt hurt

bash rings in 36t run at more or less 100g. that's heavy to you?!