Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Monkey

The Holy Grail. {What you have all been waiting for.}

Well, the long awaited upgrades to the g-boxx2 platform have finally been rolled out.

Everyone said they wanted a lighter weight to make it race-able. How does sub-41 pounds sound?

Everyone said that they could not live with the clunky gripshifter. How about electronic push-button shifting? Rapid-fire shifts through 5 speeds in under a second?

And the cheesy method of converting a DH spacing hub into fixed using zip ties and spacers? How about the lightest DH specific rear hub made, with ceramic bearings to roll oh-so-smooth and fixed ring to allow for the widest flange spacing around?

Yes, indeed, all of these issues have been addressed. It is locked, cocked and ready to blow your socks off. You will not have ridden anything like it, guaranteed.

No more giant grip shifter to hurt your hands, no more clumsy cable runs and no more slipping rear freewheel. This chiseled piece of race metal is guaranteed to open your eyes to what a gearbox bike will do to the performance of downhill machines. I will be racing along with Ryan on two different incarnations of the g-boxx frames this weekend at the Red Bull Burner at Angel Fire, so come out and have a ride. Check it out and leave smiling.

2. Advertisement - Log in or Register to hide this ad
    Monkey
    nice but a clear view of the bike would be nice
    Riding bikes is funnn

Surrounded by Police in a hail of gunfire
    wheres the water bottle cages?
    quattuor rota permoveo somes tamen duos rota permoveo animus

Turbo Monkey Eastern States Cup's Avatar
    this bike should be banned along with those skinsuits

That is the best piece of gearbox news in a long time.

Very very well done.

That shifter looks great, but maybe find a way to mount it below the bars so your thumb doesn't have to reach as far.

So is that a stepper-motor controlled by a little integrated circuit and battery?
    Derailleurs suck.

Looks great, any chance itll ever be running a belt drive at all??? Just a thought
    I am not saying we kill all the stupid people, I am just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let it sort itself out.....

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by EVRAC View Post
    That is the best piece of gearbox news in a long time.

Very very well done.

That shifter looks great, but maybe find a way to mount it below the bars so your thumb doesn't have to reach as far.

So is that a stepper-motor controlled by a little integrated circuit and battery?
    Ive got a little mount designed up, should take me a day to make. Just have been having a hard time balancing real work, bike stuff and the rest of life!

Its actually not even a stepper-motor. Just a high-power RC servo with a small 6.4V li-ion battery and audruino board. The box will definitely shrink and be more integrated, but for the time being, it works.

Monkey
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyMike View Post
    Looks great, any chance itll ever be running a belt drive at all??? Just a thought
    I would love to run a belt drive. However, the current box design will not allow for it, as your final drive has to have a rear cog that is pretty small 12t-14t in order to get the right gearing. The belt drives can't handle that small of a pitch diameter.

I do think it is on the horizon though, and should be one of the next steps forward when the box is redesigned/iterated.

Looks flexy.

This is so cool, HaveFaith! Making and using all these things makes me believe, it's possible to make bikes better

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask..... Does it come in rootbeer???
    I am not saying we kill all the stupid people, I am just saying we should remove all the warning labels and let it sort itself out.....

That is so awesome! I am sort of torn on the electronic shifting thing though- On one hand it would be sweet to ditch worrying about stuff like shifter cables and all the headaches that go along with them, and on the other hand I haven't done a night ride in like a year because I keep forgetting to re-charge the battery for my light...

Wow that is sweet. What is the expected battery life between charges? Do the buttons require much pressure to shift or just a light tap?

Monkey
    This bike is one of examples why I LOVE bikes.
    Have you considered mounting the shift-box vertically, so that both buttons were equally far from rider's thumb?
    Did you turned the rear hub from Alu or steel? What's that widest flange spacing? And are those flanges angled, or perpendicular to hub axis? How much does the hub weigh?

Not to ask only, I'll add my fixed SS hub design. Symmetrical, thru-axle, 135/10mm spacing, sprocket mounting to be revised, flange spacing 66mm (if I remember correctly), running on 2 double-row angular bearings and 2 single-row deep-groove bearings. Overall weight without sprocket slightly lower than standard 9sp hub.
    Last edited by fluider; 06-24-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Monkey
    Is this the version of the bike spooky will be seling soon or are there more revisions to come?